all posts post new thread

TSC TSC Protocol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

amdemarais

Level 5 Valued Member
There seem to be a lot of great results with the new protocols lately. Might I suggest a 6-12 week TSC protocol? I have to imagine there would be a number of us that would volunteer to be guinea pigs.

Steve - I was referring to the more specific protocols where we are asked to participate in a specific plan based on current strength and conditioning levels. I agree that there a number of great programs discussed here, but nothing where we have done an actual before and after "here are my results" type experiment.

If I may @James Sjostrom I have a suggestion.

Since the TSC test several aspects of fitness, strength, handling of bodyweight, and endurance it may be hard to find a pure protocol for this. I've participated in two of the protocols that were more endurance based. There was for me a carryover in some respect that my endurance improved and so did my strength.

Derek Toshner had an interesting blog "How we train for the TSC at TNT published 5/9/14. Mr. Toshner explains that they train basically the snatch and see improvements in both the pull up and deadlift with this method. They also add swings as an additional deadlift supplemental exercise.

I have paraphrased the article so to ensure that my summary is not mis-understood please take a look at it.

For myself I am using a more rounded approach with both pull ups and DL's. I am using Mr. Toshner's program design to train my snatches. You can see how I've intagrated it into my training in my training log, "Carl Smith Training Log".

There may be some participants who would like to try Mr. Toshner's approach which I believe could be put into a protocol.

Thanks

Last edited:
@banzaiengr I hear you loud and clear.

Although, I do quite a bit with the TSC, what I don't do is program the protocols. You will have to make recommendations to the MAN himself.

Mr. Toshner has had a great run at winning the TSC and his athletes do a wonderful job. Following his plan makes sense.

I am still a believer in Minimum dose. The protocols that I have seen, follow that principle. Least cost, Most Benefit.

@Pavel knows more about the Protocols that were distributed today.

Since the TSC test several aspects of fitness, strength, handling of bodyweight, and endurance it may be hard to find a pure protocol for this. I've participated in two of the protocols that were more endurance based. There was for me a carryover in some respect that my endurance improved and so did my strength.
I don't think we can hope for a "pure" TSC program any more than we can hope for a "pure" program for, e.g., the deadlift. Everyone's different, there are lots of different programs that work, but the best program, if I may paraphrase Rif, is one that allows you to train your weaknesses and compete with your strengths. Those things are different for everyone.

I think the reason snatch-based protocols work so well is that it is truly the King of kettlebell lifts insofar as carryover to other things is concerned.

What @James Sjostrom says is the way I go about it for myself and my clients - look for the most results with the least effort in terms of systematic fatigue, risk of overtraining, and in time spent, and the most benefit in terms of skill acquired and fitness achieved.

@amdemarais, if you want to make a specific suggestion for a new experimental protocol's goals, I'd PM @CMarker or email Pavel.

-S-

We will certainly be running other protocols in the future (and they might be longer). If you have a chance, I would strongly encourage you to attend Pavel's Plan Strong event in Pittsburgh or Italy. He describes his rationale for programming and much of the thoughts behind these protocols. I have been to it twice and I am still absorbing new information.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom