all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hi

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fossil

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi hope this is the right place for a brief intro . I was asked to give a brief outline of my history ,current training etc
I have had a few issues on and off with back injuries ,one incident with a motor bike resulted in having surgery to my right shoulder a couple of years ago
Everything seems to have taken a good long time to right itself but finally feel able to start exercising after trying other things I purchased S&S and a 12kg bell
Seems a good fit and will hopefully help my fitness for Sambo classes

I think you'll find (maybe you already have) that there are many martial artists who use kettlebells to achieve a good mix of strength and conditioning. S&S is a particularly good program, by which I mean it is simple to execute and the benefits are numerous. If I may, I will humbly offer two pieces of advice.

1-There are two movements to learn. Learn them well, and sooner rather than later. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had learned the proper swing (for example) from the beginning, and I am certainly not alone. If there is an SFG near you, save yourself some struggle and let them steer you in the right direction. If there's no SFG, do your due diligence looking at some Strongfirst instructional videos, then when you think you have it down, post some videos on here for critique.

2-Take it slow. Pavel repeatedly refers to training as "practice," but it's easy to ignore. The only time I ever stalled out on S&S was when I tried to go as heavy as I could each day. Focus of quality of movement, don't worry about the clock, and enjoy the process. The 5 and 10 minute standards are testing standards; actual practice sessions will take a little longer. Don't force it.

I think a good example of what that looks like is Pavel Macek's training log. He pushes it some days, takes it easier on others, and keeps things "same but different." Slowly but surely, he just keeps inching his way along, and reaps some pretty great benefits along the way.

Well I have been working on my technique swings are improving a little but my get ups need work. I neglected to check my clearances and nearly took out the living room light shade !

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom