all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed natural born heroes

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
Thought I'd recommend a book: Natural Born Heroes: The lost secrets of strength and endurance by Christopher MacDougall.

His (first, I think) book Born to Run inspired me towards barefoot running - like many others too!- and as a result is the reason why I became obsessed about movement and strength. It covers many topics that come up here on the forum - fat for fuel, Maffetone running method, mediterranean diet, fascia, defining strength and heroism, human movement, movnat and parkour. These strands are entwined with Greek mythology and a second world war story set in Crete. Worth a read.

Will enthusiastically second Alistair's recommendation.   The story of the Cretan Resistance during WWII would make an amazing story on its own.  As Alistair noted,  McDougall weaves in a series of fascinating sidebars to help account for how a bunch of geeky Brit academics and Greek shepherds were able to evade and frustrate the German Army to the extent they did.

One of the sidebars was on Georges Herbert - an early adapter and by all accounts, quite successful practitioner of natural training.  His five word credo was "be fit to be useful", which is, I think, a sentiment that would resonant with much of the Strong First community.  Herbert also wrote "only the strong will prove useful in difficult circumstances of life."  I think he clearly meant strong in the more all encompassing Pavel sense of the word.   "Heroes are protectors, and being a protector means having strength enough for two.".

At any rate, agree with Alistair 100%  - great read.

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I have read Born to Run and really enjoy McDougal's narrative style. Natural Born Heroes exceeds my expectations.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom