all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mouthguards for extra strength

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Antti

Level 10 Valued Member
I presume that everyone is aware of how using other than your working muscles can help your strength, as in clenching your non-working fist when pressing with the other arm.

Has anyone tried out mouthguards and strong biting for extra muscular activation? I recently read about a study in which mouthguards helped people train with grippers.

The extra bite could probably help with sports where mouthguards are already a part of the sport. I don't know how they'd fit in with powerlifting, for example.

I'd also like to see how big people have felt the help to be. It isn't probably anything major in any way, but every little percentage helps if you're going for the gold medal or the new personal record.

I have been fitted for one, but have not got it yet. I have premature wear on my teeth. Partly due to grinding my teeth at night, and 20 years of lifting weights, and Weightlifting. I definitely generate tension in my jaw. My dentist reccomended tooth protection. He says I have the jaw strength of an Olympian.

I got fitted for a night guard, and while I had the molds done I requested a sports guard also. Looking forward to trying it.

I know many Strongmen wear sports guards, including Brian Shaw.

I'm not sure about the wisdom of this - I know that we've been taught to try to keep the tension at neck and below, and to have, if not a happy face, then at least a neutral one.

For a max effort, yes, but for regular training, I'm not sure it's a good idea. I couldn't tell you why except it's what I've learned here and I'm sure there's good reason for it.

-S-

I too have read the recommendation for a neutral face in the works of Pavel. I don't remember the specifics of the reasoning behind it. That said, there is a difference between a happy face, an angry face and generating tension in the jaw.

For a max effort, yes, but for regular training, I'm not sure it's a good idea. I couldn't tell you why except it's what I've learned here and I'm sure there's good reason for it.

-S-

A max effort lift should be the same as any other. You should lift the light weights like they are heavy. With tension, and power. This build confidence, and is solid practice to make the heavy attempts seem lighter.

Your warm up sets are not to be taken lightly. They are to prepare you for your work sets.

A max effort lift should be the same as any other.
This is a good thought, but it's overly simple, IMHO. A max effort is just that, and by its very nature requires things that sub-maximal efforts don't. Clenching the teeth while pulling a 1RM deadlift from the floor but not doing that in training seems perfectly reasonable to me.

-S-

I have been using a custom Sports Guard for over a week, and so far I really like it. It really helps me breath diagphramatically through the nose, generate tension, feel focused on each set. All while protecting my teeth from further wear. I have been testing with, and without it, and it definitely increased my performance.

I have been lifting really well with the Bite Guard in. I have been PR'ing on everything, and feeling strong, and resilient. I don't know if there is a placebo effect, or my training, diet, and recovery is dialed in, or if the Bite Guard really increased performance. I truly believe it is giving me a strength increase.

Well, it seems that your experiences are alike to the ones in the study I read about. It's definitely interesting stuff.

I have been lifting really well with the Bite Guard in. I have been PR'ing on everything, and feeling strong, and resilient. I don't know if there is a placebo effect, or my training, diet, and recovery is dialed in, or if the Bite Guard really increased performance. I truly believe it is giving me a strength increase.
It will be interesting to hear about your results in a few months - please keep us posted.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom