all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily Dose Thread

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I loved the 20 rep deadlift program outlined in Brawn. It seems that if there is no other work for the lower body other than deadlift, then I have no problems cranking up the volume and intensity. However when I am squatting I really have to cut back on the deadlift.

I am set to test for my new 1RM in the coming week (daily dose program).

How do I spend the 2-3 days rest before that day? Just mobility? Or can I do KB exercises (press, TGU) and make sure to stay away from the barbell?

How do one find the 1RM anyway? Add 10lb, do one rep and repeat until failure?

What weight were you working off of? You should be able to make a pretty good guess based on how the heavier sessions felt, and you should be able to add some weight to the starting amount.

I must say, I am learning a lot each time I re-read it the daily dead lift plan article. I suppose this is the case with all such good works (S&S book being another example). Some of the things that stood out for me today are:
1. Eat more protein to break out plateau
2. Eat enough to gain strength
2. Maintain your flexibility/mobility
Personally, I am not sure, If I did well in all of the above.

Update. I completed 45 days of lifting of this plan last week, tested it today. My 1RM increased from 265lbs to 275lbs. I failed to lift 285. Not so great; I am sure it is my problem - my nutrition (i have been trying various low carb, carb deficit diets), poor sleep/rest.

Can or should I apply this if I am doing Stronglifts 5x5?
I am replying to an older message but

No, you shouldn't apply this if you're doing another program. This is a program, that is a program, and the standard advice applies - please pick one program and follow it.

-S-

Update. I completed 45 days of lifting of this plan last week, tested it today. My 1RM increased from 265lbs to 275lbs. I failed to lift 285. Not so great; I am sure it is my problem - my nutrition (i have been trying various low carb, carb deficit diets), poor sleep/rest.
You still made some progress so congrats! Low carb diets are not generally recommended for building strength or muscle mass. They are better suited for weight loss. Have you thought about running the program again?

I am set to test for my new 1RM in the coming week (daily dose program).

How do I spend the 2-3 days rest before that day? Just mobility? Or can I do KB exercises (press, TGU) and make sure to stay away from the barbell?

What method did you use to MAX?

At StrongFirst, we advocate doing as few warmups as you need before strength training or a max attempt. Choose your lifts on max day accordingly; what you choose will be based on what you're used to, so don't change your approach on max day but, if you feel you could get used to fewer warmups, work on that in training so that you are ready to put it into practice on max day.

A max attempt isn't something you can work up to in small increments because the lifts that approach your max will take away from your final, max effort if they are too close to it. Rather than 10 lb. jumps, consider 10% jumps instead, and even larger jumps work well for many people (including me).

In working up to a max attempt, I recommend stopping at 92-3% of your old max as your last attempt before the new max. E.g., if your max is 265, I wouldn't go higher than 245, which is about 93%, before resting a few minutes then trying for a new max. You must figure out what works for you as your training months and years wear on. You must also be content to know that you might not have picked your max-test weight correctly and live with a failed attempt - that's life. E.g. if you do the 245 then try for 275 and don't get it, it's possible you could have gotten 270 - that knowledge and $2.50 will get you a ride on the subway. :) Be patient and try again in a few months or whatever interval of time your training plan suggests.

I take 7-10 days off before a max DL attempt, most of them completely off, and then a few light DL singles as I felt I wanted to as the meet approached.

my current 1RM is 265lbs. I lift 200lb (75℅) most of the days.
@Abdul Rasheed, a very nice guy, has been my student so I know his lifting more than I know that of most of our forum participants. I can say with some certainty that he still has things to learn, and when that happens, the numbers will go up dramatically.

How one fails a max attempt is something our blogs have covered here, but it's worth repeating - fight for a new max, don't give up right away. I did one particularly ugly, but ultimately successful, deadlift in a meet a couple of years ago that took more than 10 seconds to complete from the time the bar started moving until it reached lockout. Here you go - thanks to @Scott Hanson, SFG-II, and my lovely wife for cheering me on and taking the video. This is 360 lbs. after weighing in at 148, and 3 months before my 60th birthday.

Hope this is of some help to you, Abdul.

BTW, we need a big Welcome! to the author of the Daily Dose program, and a big thank you to him as well for joining the conversation here.

-S-

@Drock thanks! Will I run this program again? Absolutely, yes! As for how I tested my 1RM max, I did this: 3x135, 1x225, 1x245, 1x265, 1x275, 1x285 (fail).

@Steve Freides I rested rest of the last week, ate with not much restrictions. I plan want to test again this week; I will use the approach you mentioned and let the forum know how it went. I am not disappointed really, I feel that during the course of the program, my deadlift form is much more solid (I will post a video soon for you to critique). I learned a lot. For example, I feel the 'push' through the legs into the floor before I 'pull' lately, the nuances are coming into play. My tensing the body, generating body tension, and keeping it, like you said fighting to maintain it when I test, is where I need work. Yes, there is a lot to learn. I am still a newbie. If not for you, I would not be deadlifting today, so thank you. Your wise words are always helpful, Steve.

@Drock, a question for you.

My Hack DL (behind the back DL) is always roughly where my conventional or sumo DL is in terms of weight. I am going to do 1 Hack DL rep with my working weight, then the rest performed conventional. Do I count the Hack DL single as one of my five reps or do five additional reps? My vote is for the latter, since the Hack DL isn't really taxing in the same way.

Thank you, sir.

-S-

Critique please....
Mon-Fri
A) Daily dose dl plus 2x3 -5 rep bench plus 10 sets of 10-20 swings on minute
B) DDDL plus 2x3-5 OHP plus 10 sets of 10-20 snatches on minute
Saturday Bike ride 40-60 mins
Sunday off
Thanks. First post, great forum.

@stevein7, welcome to StrongFirst!

Your plan sounds fine to try. Some people won't like the combination of deadlifts and snatches in the same cycle, so keep that in mind. The DDD is low in volume and that may help here.

Experiment with the order of things. I often do something similar to what you've described but for me, the order is swings, presses, and finish with deadlifts.

-S-

Hello,

I would like to try a deadlift training. I use to train with bodyweight and kb. I did some DL for a while (@my bdw). Thus I am not a pro deadlifter

I began Daily Dose to see how it looks. I find it pretty good.

Nevertheless, should I begin with GTG or DDD ? My goal is not to compete or break records. It is simply to find a long term progression

Thanks a lot,

Kind regards,

Pet'

GTG with the deadlift can be an odd thing - go with the DDD.

-S-

GTG with the deadlift can be an odd thing - go with the DDD.

-S-

Has anyone tried GTG deadlift?

I thought about it as a possibility and I remember Pavel saying a sentence or two about it in one of SF videos...

Anyway, it seems that DDD is kind of organized GTG, like most Even Easier Strength programs

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

For my humble culture, why GTG with the deadlift can be an odd thing ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom