all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hip and Hand-And-Thigh Lift

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
@Geoff Chafe for the hip lift and the hand-and-thigh-lift, I have a bar the a big hook welded to the middle. The bar is made out of some strong, cold-rolled steel, is 10 feet long, and weighs about 90 lbs. unloaded. I also have a couple of sleeve I slide into the middle (bar has no collars) for the hand and thigh lift, since you are standing sideways to the bar and you need room to get your feet in.

I'm away, otherwise I'd take pictures and show you.

There is a USAWA group on Facebook, and if memory serves, one of the USAWA folks has recently started offering these kinds of gear for sale. You'll also need a leather hip belt; even though the IronMind belt is strong enough, it will stretch a little and you don't want any stretch for this. I had to get all my gear made for me.

-S-

If you could please post a few pictures of your apparatus, and belt at your convenience it would be appreciated. From the pictures in the USAWA manual I have a plan to adapt my Axel to practice with. I have a variety of rigging rated chain I can use.

If you do not reccomended the IM hip harness, I will look into a leather option. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada so finding high quality leather tack is not hard. Ranching, and Cowboy culture is part of this region. I know I can find someone to make me a suitable hip harness.

Is it a 4" wide belt?

I have done many lifts in the USAWA manual, but the names, and variations are great. Particularly the Steinborn, and Anderson Squats, Reeves, Jefferson, and Kennedy Deadlifts, Fulton and Vertical Bar variations, and some great pressing variations like the pullover and press, Hackenschmidt floor press. I have been regularly training the Crusifix, and making great progress, I will have to try the technique in the photo.

My mind is spinning at the possibilities. Maybe I will find a lift I could focus on, and compete in.

I second the interest. I've been reading Alan Calvert's Super Strength. Its got me all fired up to learn the hand and thigh lift.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom