all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Music vs No music

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
If I'm doing S and S I'll not have any music on in the background as I prefer to focus in what I'm doing, in particular the TGU. I think someone called them @meditation with iron" and I can appreciate why. If I'm doing multiple sets with doubles like in the ONE program or heavy barbell squats in the gym I enjoy music to push me though the sets. Anyone else find the same???Choice of music to accompany kettlebell workouts is a different matter altogether

I don't like any distractions. Any more than I want distractions when I use a tablesaw. There is an internal universe I'm paying attention to when I workout, even on a jog or hike. That's what I want to pay attention to. When you listen to music, listen to music. When you talk, talk. When you workout, workout. I know, I am a crashing bore.

I listen to music when I practice kettlebells with no distraction problems. I tried listening to a podcast while practicing S&S. That was way to distracting. I had my worst session in a while. It was to funny, and interesting.

I listen to music when I practice kettlebells with no distraction problems. I tried listening to a podcast while practicing S&S. That was way to distracting. I had my worst session in a while. It was to funny, and interesting.

I listened to some high quality stand up comedy once while training. Never again.

I can't imagine training without music, unless it's outside then I would enjoy it.

Last edited:
I listened to some high quality stand up comedy once while training. Never again.

I can't imagine training without music, unless it's outside then I would enjoy it.
Oh yeah... I had the tv running during one of my sessions and while I was doing TGUs there was a joke on The Simpsons that really got me. Luckily I was able to abort without hurting myself.

I love listening to music while working out and it doesn't distract me at all.

No music for me.

However, I often lift with the television on, either because my son is watching it or I have a sporting event on and watch in between sets.

I once tried to do a clubbell workout with Seinfeld on. Big mistake.

I'm a no music while I train guy. I train in my garage and back yard and like the quiet/focus. Now thinking about it I don't think I ever lied music while training...hmm...

Can't do music. It seems like in training myself to focus in my professional life I've lost the ability to tune things out or really multitask at all. I do keep a podcast on every now and then but always end up turning it off after a set or two as I realize it's distracting me. It's gotten to the point where I don't even like the radio on while I'm driving . (Off topic rant, apologies: I need all my wits about me, because I'm surrounded by idiots going 85MPH while looking at their laps while switching lanes without an indicator. I'm assuming they have a phone down there, but who knows. That sounds like an exaggeration, but I don't think I've been on a drive in the past month without witnessing this at least once. Probably these same people would think KB swings are dangerous. Peoples have terrifyingly un-calibrated feelings about risk. )

I can't remember where any longer, but it seems to me that the Chief once passed along that according to Russian research, we're actually stronger when we're subjected to music that irritates us.

Doesn't mean I have to like it. While making the most of the lunch break available to me these days, I grudgingly use the military base gym adjacent to my place of duty to squeeze in the main training session of the day. I much prefer to exercise in the "cardio room" for two reasons; the first being that the small space in front of the seldom touched ladder climbing simulators and the one oddball elliptical machine that no one likes is the only area I have the room to safely perform double snatches and long cycle (have to drag out my own pre-staged KBs from the locker, since the politically correct gym doesn't have men's sizes). The second being that the white noise generated by the treadmills nicely drowns out the repetitive drivel the Armed Forces Network pumps out at us.

Now, if I could just do something about all those blasted glowing rectangles in the same room... the talking heads on CNN/FOX and all the rest.

Is it weird that metal and jazz relax me the same? I need music to distract me from my thoughts. Each time I step up weight in the TGU I stay pretty focused but after a few sessions I am able to perform subconscious reps and my mind gets cluttered with thoughts if I don't have music to distract myself. Heavy lifting is however one of the only activities I find meditative. Swimming is the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I listen to music while working out. The closing off of all the gym rangers & the awful music is my sanctuary. The only time I take the headphones out, for now, is when I am doing TGUs. For some reason, I have to have silence while performing these, but not any other exercise. I believe it is because, right now, they are kicking my butt, and I need full focus, with no musical distraction or having my iPod or headphones distract me from focusing on the movements. Otherwise, 80's & 90's rock, some Tech N9ne, Armored Saint, with a little Frank Sinatra in both ears.

For me now it's pretty much:
S and S; silence
Running: Dance music
Heavy lifts: Metal
Punchbag: Rocky ( who doesn't love a bit of Rocky)
Tabatas: anything thats loud

Only getting back to swimming after years of neglecting it, it really has got a zen element to it... no music option until Bluetooth headsets become waterproof... probably not far off at this stage...

For me now it's pretty much:
S and S; silence
Running: Dance music
Heavy lifts: Metal
Punchbag: Rocky ( who doesn't love a bit of Rocky)
Tabatas: anything thats loud

Only getting back to swimming after years of neglecting it, it really has got a zen element to it... no music option until Bluetooth headsets become waterproof... probably not far off at this stage...
I do have an mp3 player which you can wear under your swimming cap and it is waterproof.
During the last days I mainly listen to music when warming up, because otherwise it makes me dancing between the swing sets and that is no good ;)

For strength work I listen to Amon Amarth, Dark Tranquility and other awesome Swedish metal. While running treadmill a recent favorite is Scooter. Running distance/tral outside over 10k a prefer acoustic music like mark knopfler, Highwaymen etc.

Very varied tast in music, but they have their place in training :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom