all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Help please

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fossil

Level 4 Valued Member
I would like some advice about the direction of my training . I have had some issues with illness and injury, but it seems to be coming to an end thankfully
I am looking to return to Sombo training my question is which program do I follow I have simple and sinister ,enter the kettlebell for my KB training
For purely strength training I have tactical barbell and am liking the power to the people program for its simplicity
As always the opinions on the forum are gratefully received
Thanks in advance

Simple and Sinister, and Power To The People - both are programs designed to coexist with another activity, e.g., your martials arts training. As a general guideline, I think most people will receive the most benefit from S&S.

-S-

Want to train at home with only KBs? -> S&S

Just barbell (and have a home gym with barbell/like to go to the gym 5x per week)? -> PTTP

Want to train with KBs and barbell, but need the gym for that (and don't like spending a lot of time there/too much time to get there/etc.)? -> Tactical Barbell Fighter Template (Mon+Thu) + S&S (Tue+Fri), maybe Operator (3x/week) + S&S

Barbell and KBs (home gym with barbell/like 5x gym per week)? -> PTTP + S&S alternating in 2 week blocks

All of those options leave enough in the tank for conditioning and/or sport practice (in your case Sombo).

Lots of variables
What type of injury and illness and any long term issues etc...
Keep it simple and err on the side of doing "not enough" rather than trying to do it all and "get back where you were"
JMO

The health issues have resoled themselves
The injuries have left my back a wee bit ropey but nothing serious
Just a high mileage 46 year old
Thanks for the advice Brett will take it easy even though my ego keeps whispering " You can lift go on go on don't be a wimp "

@Fossil, the single most important thing in selecting a training program is that it doesn't get you hurt. When you're hurt, you can't train, and you can't make progress. Ditto the rest of life - a schedule that doesn't find you with a cold or flu every few months is better than burning yourself out then getting sick.

Oh, boy, oh, boy, did I have to learn some of those things the hard way.

-S-

+1 on Steve's comments
...single most important thing in selecting a training program is that it doesn't get you hurt. When you're hurt, you can't train, and you can't make progress...

After many an injury (shoulders and knees), S&S is the best rebuilding program I've done - low impact, lots of ROM, strengthens support muscles, etc. I revert back to it for recovery and foundation building before specific goal programs. Can't beat the time commitment either.

I can't throw up a bunch of impressive numbers to show the effectiveness of S&S, but I can say that I get numerous "what the hell" effects when I do it consistently. Everything from mobility increases, core strength, shoulder stability, cardio, body comp improvements, "real world strength", etc. When I do it consistently, everything physical in my life gets easier, and I feel like I can "walk through walls". More importantly, I'm in my mid to late thirties, and when consistently doing S&S, I have an easier time keeping up with all the young twenty-something "a type" guys on my team. Simple and effective, with no guesswork. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Rambro for me you can't beat "I feel better ,life is easier " testimony rather than a page full of figures

Help part 2 lol
I have been doing. a lot of thinking and would like the opinion of the forum please . My game plan is simple and sinister for the next 8 weeks along with stationary. bike,stepper and rowing machine to assist with stamina
I am a beat cop and often have to chase folk less than half my age !
If that goes as planned I am considering two days power to the people for all round strength . I have looked at other programs the bare minimum seems to be 3 compound lifts
That may prove just a bit much on my high mileage carcass I feel it will be best to keep heavy lifting to a minimum
As always your advice and opinions are greatly valued

For me, I don't like to do much with a barbell anymore. S&S is my go-t0 default protocol instead. I can put on muscle mass pretty easily while performing barbell work and that weight makes most aspects of life more difficult. Periodically I will do some barbell work just so I don't lose that maximal strength though. Running on the other hand is the opposite. Between S&S and stamina (running/cycling/higher volume front squats), I think you will see the most enhanced overall life benefits.

The following is a summary of my "regular" routines(s):

Running at least twice a week. Long slow and/or speed depending on how I feel. Repeats at the track (speed work) will definitely get your foot chase cardio dialed in. Longer runs will get your aerobic dialed in, and also help trim you up.

- S&S with crawling and goblet squats for warmup. I do this a couple times a week.

- double kb complexes and chains. Usually just clean and press or clean and jerk, but sometimes a new variation depending on what I want out of it. "Total tension" complex is a good one. I also really like double kb reverse lunges.

- The Breacher Strong routine, or a modified variation, that includes the dead stop power swings. I really like these for a maximal effort A&A protocol, and have even been thinking of posting something about it to share my enthusiasm about it. Form is perfect every time, and can really put "all out" effort in to each rep.

- I try to gtg pull-ups or regressions throughout the day.

- every once in a while I will do a single kb complex. Sometime ETK ROP.

- I will occasionally modify S&S by using the dead stop swings, TGU, renegade rows, goblet squats, and FCT. Awesome routine, but haven't thought of a catchy name yet.

- Most importantly, practice good bracing and tension techniques all the time and in every workout.

I know this sounds like a hodgepodge of different stuff, but I rotate it all consistently enough to show progression. I really look at it as doing just variations of S&S everyday but with some variety. It works for me. I'm better at 37 than I was at 27.

Be safe out there, and thanks for your service.

Strength and Honor

Rambro

My game plan is simple and sinister for the next 8 weeks along with stationary. bike,stepper and rowing machine to assist with stamina

Sounds like a good plan. Have you thought about how to find the ideal intensity for your bike, stepper, and rowing machine time? (My suggestion would be use a HR monitor and work to your MAF HR, which is 180 - age. More details at the link here).

Thanks Anna I have a heart rate monitor iin a drawer some where will dust t off and see about new batteries

Rambro your routine sounds like common sense to me ,it seems to match the kind of demands the job makes and at weeks shy of 46 those demands are getting harder to meet !
But I still love jailing bad guys

Yes. I have definitely done a lot of trial and error to see what helps and what doesn't. I have some of the same needs as you.

@Fossil...good advice from the gang here thus far. My two pennies....S&S as most have chimed in with. But for any so-called 'cardio' I would look toward the SAID principle. By that I mean if you are chasing down bad guys then presumably you are not doing that on a stationary bike, or rowing machine. (Don't get me wrong I really dig rowing machines, and I plan to ride a wind trainer an insane amount this winter to prepare for a major bike race) If your body can handle it I would recommend running. Mostly MAF, but punctuated with some speed and hill work. This will most likely be better aligned with the rigors of your work environment. Stay safe out there...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom