all posts post new thread

Off-Topic The Iron by Henry Rollins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
A fantastic essay by Henry Rollins, of punk band Black Flag fame.

This really speaks to me. I had an older gentleman in my neighborhood who took an interest in me, and taught me to lift when I was about 13, and changed my life for the better. He had a weight set in his shed he let me use until I got my own.

My parents were hard working Blue Collar people, that did not play sports, or exercise. My father always said "He did not have time to workout, I go out and work, and you should not waste your time". Good parents, but very stern, and serious.

The Iron by Henry Rollins | Oldtime Strongman

"When the Iron doesn't want to come off the mat, it's the kindest thing it can do for you."
Great line....

I've lost count of the amount of times I've read that piece. Great writing and always inspiring. It never gets old.

That was new to me, thanks! (It must be a classic, because I recognize the last line from several other conversations.)

I'm glad this was revived. I appreciate all things that remind me to do things because I want to rather than because it's what someone else says to. Sometimes I feel we blindly follow things based on others goals or philosophies more than our own.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom