all posts post new thread

Barbell Bob Peoples and the Dead Lift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IoannisDyonisos

Level 1 Valued Member
I have long been interested in Bob Peoples who pulled 728 back in 1947 at about 185 pounds bodyweight and always enjoy reading any articles written by or about him as he is my favorite lifter. In addition to these articles I was pleased to find that Bob Peoples wrote book titled Developing Physical Strength which was an interesting albeit short read.

Anyway Peoples, whose Dead Lift record lasted from 1947 into the mid 1960s, not only often trained the Dead Lift heavy five times a week with a maximum poundage in a low rep rage (generally three to five reps) he almost always hit the Clean and Jerk, Standing Press, Snatch, and Back Squat very if not quite equally as hard during the same workouts. I always looked up to Peoples as motivational as he seemed much more relatable or relevant to myself and what I might be able to accomplish through training than other notable world record holding lifters like the great Soviet weightlifters such as Pisarenko or Alexeyev, American icons such as Paul Anderson or Ted Arcidi, or professional athletes like the members of the Bulgarian weightlifting team or American Football Players as he split most of his time between Farming and full time factory work while building his record Dead Lift and almost certainly was drug free unlike the Soviets, Bulgarians, and Paul Anderson or professional football players.

Most people would tell you that heavy Dead Lifting done five days a week could not possibly be productive much less consider doing that with three-lift Olympic Lifting and Back Squats also added into the same workout as a option that was realistic. I have found however that while jumping vigorously directly into such training might indeed suggest that it is not at all productive and must certainly be unsustainable that the body can adapt to the workload quite nicely. After previously having abandoned efforts to do all of these lifts in one workout twice due to failing to Dead Lift something I could typically easily handle for five once following heavy squats and then finding it completely impossible to stand from what should have been an easy squat clean after Dead Lifting on another occasion I attempted the approach again with the conservative strategy of using insignificant weight in all the exercises and increasing it slowly to substantial poundages and found that my body adapted to the program perfectly.

I now Press, Bench Press, Squat, Snatch, Clean and Jerk, and Dead Lift five days a week in the same session and have exceeded my personal bests in all these lifts whereas before I would more or less focus on one or another and gain strength here while losing it there resulting in a situation where none of my personal bests in any of these exercises co-existed with each other and so I am much better off strength wise I would say. Generally I train three days consecutively take a day off and then train twice consecutively take another day off and repeat that sequence but also I will occasionally take two consecutive rest days.

I believe that Peoples, the Dead Lift, and less commonly his style of training are often misguidedly dismissed due to the fact that Dead Lifts are essentially useless for increasing pressing strength in and of themselves and the completely false but nonetheless prevalent rumor that Bob Peoples could not bench press his bodyweight and was useless in pretty much anything besides Dead Lifts which could not be further from the truth. While it is true that Press was not Peoples best Olympic Lift and he almost never did Bench Presses he managed 225 in the Press on numerous occasions at officiated Olympic weightlifting competitions during the late 1940s when the lift was judged very strictly, broke the official Tennessee State Record in the Snatch at one of those competitions despite always using a shallow power snatch, and is credited by the 1956 head coach of the United States Weightlifting team with having performed a 300 pound Bench Press despite never having trained it seriously. Peoples actually struggled more with fixing the Jerk than Pressing as he rarely managed anything over a 275 pound Clean and Jerk in competition despite being able to power clean over 300 pounds at 185 when the record for C&J in the top weight division was only 402 pounds.

If I remember correctly even Pavel himself actually incorrectly quoted this rumor of Peoples not being able to bench press bodyweight in one of his books which is a good example of how prevalent this misconception is. Peoples furthermore would actually many times use less than perfect form in training sessions as he found incorporation of less than perfect form essential in maximizing strength gains but nonetheless always stressed and practiced perfect form in training for competition and so almost certainly pressed a decent bit over 225 with more of a back bend or a somewhat asymmetrical pressing out of the weight neither of which would pass as a good lift in 1940s weightlifting competition and he also almost certainly did more than his record 728 on Dead Lift with hitching and or straps like many strongmen can often be seen doing in their training. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else here had any old magazines with articles on Peoples training I have not read or had incorporated more his ideas into training than simply exercise selection or the frequency of Dead Lift training with any success.

Last edited by a moderator:
I now Press, Bench Press, Squat, Snatch, Clean and Jerk, and Dead Lift five days a week in the same session and have exceeded my personal bests in all these lifts

That's a serious workout. How long does this training session take? What kind of cycle(s) do you follow?

That's a serious workout. How long does this training session take? What kind of cycle(s) do you follow?
The length of the session varies by strategy of which I use three. There are three workout 'systems' I alternate or 'cycle'.

For the first I do a very brief but heavy workout of three repetitions in Press, Squat, and Dead lift in that order followed by 5 heavy singles in the Snatch and 5 heavy singles in Clean and Jerk with one set of 10 in Bench Press concluding the session. If I am able to hit more than three on the triples in this strategy most certainly I do so (and then increase weight obviously for the next session) and also if I am able to rep the weight chosen for Bench Press for 12 or 15 instead of 10 I will do that also. I alternate this brief heavy workout with two others.

The second system includes three or four sets of slightly less than maximal triples in Press, Squat, and Dead Lift followed by 10 singles in the Snatch where two overhead squats are performed after each Snatch and 10 Clean and Jerk 'complexes' where two front squats are performed after standing from the clean and then two jerks are performed to count altogether as one repetition and again I finish this with a set of 10 in Bench Press performed exactly as in the last session. I actually rest most in this second strategy and it takes me about one and one half hours to complete.

Finally I use a system which calls for 10 singles in the Press, one maximum set of fifteen repetitions in the Squat, one set of 10 repetitions in the Dead Lift, one heavy set of 10 Snatches, one heavy set of five in the Clean and Jerk and again I finish with the same set of ten in Bench Press. Both the first and last strategy never last more than forty five minutes. I began the program 'cycling' the first workout and using only 50% of my maximum in all the lifts. I raised the poundage by five pounds for each block of workouts (three days in a row block 1, two days in a row block 2...) until it the weight became very heavy and the continued the 'cycle' for two months before switching to the second strategy. After another two months I switched to the third strategy. After each the completion of two months of each strategy I rest three days and warm up to maximum singles in all of the lifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this thread. I think it's important to learn everything we can from everyone we can if for no other reason than another tool in toolbox. I think it is good to periodically approach contrarian philosophies to either strengthen current beliefs or accept opposing beliefs.

I believe the body is always trying to maintain homeostasis and it depends on what we make the normal environment our body has to react to. If you want run fast, run fast. If you want to press more, press more. If you want to lift heavy often, lift heavy often. I've heard before, there's no such thing as overtraining, just undertrained - however, one cannot simply start at the top, it takes some incrementalism.

My two cents here.
Bob Peoples had a body structure for deadlifting.
Long arms short waisted made for a shorter pull.
Im not taking anything away from his accomplishments because at the time he pulled 700+ there were not many pulls that heavy.
I've also read he pulled from a shallow hole in the ground.
When he felt good with a weight he'd fill it in a little until eventually it was totally filled in(progressive distance training)much like training from blocks today.At his time there were no training protocols for the deadlift that i know of.He did what he thought was going to help him just by experimenting himself.
What you also have to remember is he was a country boy brought up on hard work around the farm so he was primed for the heavy lifting he did.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom