all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Old time strongman grip training article.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The founder of AoM Brett McKay did S&S for a while 2014 I believe and is now doing Starting Strength. There is also a podcast with the CEO of StrongFirst.

Hello,

If access to material is not an issue, we could also add some farmer carries ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

And you have to consider the old time strongmen did their grip training on top of their day to day activities. Almost everything had to be done manually up until around 100 years ago, so strong hands were quite normal compared to the average office worker today.

So any strong man back in those days would have had exceptionally strong hands by today's standards or the average guy wouldn't have been impressed by a "Strongman show".

The people with the strongest hands I've encountered were rigger & scaffolders working in power stations & the really strong ones were in their 40's and 50's. They worked all day climbing & gripping different size objects and many times their life (or the lives of those working below) depended on their grip.

There are still some jobs that require strong hands but automation has reduced the need for it these days.

Hello,

In today's world, bricklayers still have strong hands today for example.

To a certain extent, 100 years ago, the average guy was clearly stronger and more endurant and robust than a today's guy.

They could walk lots of km with heavy loads. Today...well... However, they would have had difficulties to cross a river. Today, it would be easier for an average man.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I bought a copy of Aston's book years ago and it is pretty interesting and definitely worth purchasing. Some of the exercises he recommends are things that at least one well known current trainer is touting as his own invention. Pretty comical.

I used to do push ups on my thumbs. When everyone else in the gymclass was doing regular push ups, I just did the required amount (usually 10) on my thumbs. Can't do that any more, but my thumbs are still very strong, as is my grip.

Hello,

@MattM
I do not use the one you linked. I sometimes use a DIY solution : a thin cardboard to wrap my pull up bar. It works relatively well. I did not want to buy something because I do not set up and dismantle my pull up bar very often.

However I noticed than when I use it, the next pull up session seems easier. I guess this is due to the forearm flexors. They have to work a bit more when the bar is thick, and a bit less when it is thin.

Kind regards,

Pet'

A Weaver Stick is a great, cheap, easy to make Oldtime Grip implement. I never use mine anymore I lean more toward hammers, but the Weaver Stick is an effective classic grip tool.

@pet' There are a number of leveraging exercises you can do with a Weaver Stick. Wrist Circumduction, and Wrist Deadlifts as you have shown are my two favorite uses.

Anyone use fat gripz extreme?

Extreme - Fat Gripz

I have the originals and like them. I had a Walmart gift card and they had them online. Tough choice between those and $25 worth of paper towels.

I use the originals as well and hope at some point to need the extreme variant.
Grip has always been an issue for me and ever since I use fat gripz for my pull ups my grip strength has really improved and my fore arms are getting a bit bigger.

In short I love my fat gripz

I have several friends that bought both the standard Fat Gripz and the Extreme. The only one of them that prefers the Extremes has pretty big (8.5" long) hands. The others sold or gave their Extremes away within a few months of buying them. They feel "too big" for most exercises is what I have heard most often for their main critique.

I have pieces of pvc pipe that slide over my pullup bars. On the small bar the OD of the pvc pipe is 56mm and on the fat bar the OD is 69mm which is very close to the OD of the fat fripz and the fat gripz extreme respectively . The pvc pipe is a loose fit so it can turn very easily.

I love watching people try a pullup on them, I saw one skinny guy get one rep on the smaller ones but I've never seen anyone even hold their weight on the fat ones. I'm talking about tradesmen with reasonable grip strength too.

It's a deceivingly difficult grip because the pipes want revolve as soon as you hang and it places your hands into extension so your fingers & thumb are pointing straight up and tend to slip off. To prevent your hands slipping off you have to keep your wrist flexed and most people just aren't primed for it.

Hello,

I have pieces of pvc pipe that slide over my pullup bars
+1 !

Some pièces of gutter over the PU bar are sometimes used for climbers to work on grip. Very tough, above all if you have a little sweat on your hands ;)

It is a very efficient solution !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom