all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Clean and press-developed shoulder pain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ryan T

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Been doing a single bell complex with 5x5 C&P with 16kg and feeling good. Started incorporating 1-2 sets of 20kg and although challenging, no pain and form was good (tight rack, pressing the bell straight up with vertical forearm and no shoulder flair). Took a few days off and for some reason developed rear deltoid pain.

I'm guessing the conventional wisdom is to take a rest from the presses. Or perhaps go back to the lighter weight and test that out.

My question is could hardstyle push-ups be helpful in a situation like this? I did the humane burpee workout yesterday and those push-ups felt OK. I was thinking they might be a nice assisting exercise if I take a break from presses.

Suggestions?

Suggestion - post a video here or work with a trainer in person or online.

-S-

I developed some pain with a heavy C&P program that included plenty of time at the computer as well. I cured it all with heavy rows and shoulder mobility drills.

The push-ups are a good idea too if they are taken lightly and as warm-up or recovery. I have always enjoyed doing some push-ups before pressing.

Ryan
Many variables here
especially since the pain started 2 weeks after and may not be related to the training at all
or it could be
or it could be work, life, stress related
or breathing
or t-spine mobility
etc....

Getting your shoulder checked can be a good idea just to be sure there isn't an underlying issue
And an LMT (licensed massage therapist) could likely help with some massage and trigger point work etc...

How is your shoulder now?

@Steve Freides - going to see SFG on Monday

@Antti - thanks for the feedback. I think I will incorporate some in. Been practicing hardstyle ones.

@Brett Jones - thanks for the recommendations. It was actually a few days not a couple weeks. I did basic mobility yesterday and then complex just with the 16s. Shoulder felt OK but seems to fatigue quickly. I rested for a while and attempted a set @20kg. After the first rep I noticed some pain and decided to give it a break. A good example of the discomfort would be this: My back and arm against the wall and my arm upper parallel to floor with the elbow bent at 90 degrees and hand up up like waving hello, back of the hand is against the wall. Then rotate the arm at the shoulder so the upper arm remains parallel to the floor but now my hand is pointing down and the palm is flat against the wall. The back of the shoulder is painful once I get past the halfway point.

Thanks

I have a friend who is an athletic trainer for a local university and he works with all the sports played at the school, teaches kinesthesiology, and specializes in injury treatment. I demonstrated the issue and he said it is due to a lack of mobility and the muscles have become very tight there because I haven't focused enough on pre training ROM and post training stretch. We reviewed the the ROM degrees (180°) should be as well. He said he sees it a lot with his pitchers. He gave me a specific stretch to be done a couple times daily and pre/post training sessions. I will work on this and review with my trainer today.

It has helped some and I've been doing a lot of ROM as well.

1. Stand 6 inches away from a wall and lean the affected shoulder and lat into the wall. Put a good amount of pressure there.

2. Upper arm should be extended in front of you along the wall parallel to the floor.

3. Keep elbow bend at 90° and rotate the elbow up until the back of your hand is resting against the wall. Your forearm will be perpendicular to the floor and your fingers will be pointing up towards the ceiling.

4. Slowly rotate the elbow and upper arm down as though you are trying to put your palm flat against the wall. Again make sure that the upper arm is parallel to the floor as you rotate.

5. At the point of of discomfort, leave your arm there. You cannot manually stretch by placing your other arm over your wrist and apply some gentle downward pressure.

6. To repeat, I was rotating my arm back to the upward position and then back down.

I went to Physical Therapy for shoulder issues and he gave me what sounds like that same stretch, but lying down. He called it the "sleeper stretch" (Googling brings up the image of what he showed me).

I wish I could tell you if it helped, but I never did it diligently enough to know. ;) ...Typical PT patient.

I used to do the Sleeper Stretch a lot. When ever I felt tightness or issues developing around the shoulder. During periods of heavy training it helped a lot. It improves internal rotation, the Barbell front Rack, and shoulder positioning, flexibility, and stability in pressing off the shoulders to forehead. All things Weightlifters, Front squatters and overhead pressers need.

Be very careful when preforming Sleeper Stretch to move slow and controlled, and not forcing range of motion too much. If you wrench on your arm in a vulnerable position you could do a lot of damage. Start with the upper arm at about 45 degrees to the upper body and work your lower arm to the floor. As you warmup an gain flexibility open up the angle, work your lower arm to the floor. Repeat.

@Anna C It is a valuable stretch I have completely forgotten about.

TGU's, waiters walks, arm bars - it's my opinion that these exercises should be practiced for months prior to pressing. they will create shoulder stability, help create "packed shoulder" awareness, and build strength throughout the the shoulder stabilizers. Build a foundation before you start pressing, or at least in conjunction with your pressing routine and before you jump in weight. pushups must be done with strict technique to be beneficial and avoid injury - i believe most trainees get into trouble with pushups because they are relatively easy, so there is a tendency to overdue them and strain to get extra reps once fatigue sets in - thats when injury takes place. TGU's, waiters walks, arm-bars, TGU's, waiters walks, arm-bars = healthy shoulders. Build a strong foundation and your frame will sustain.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom