all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Good suggestions for athletic tape?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pinkninja

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi again,
Can you guys offer up some ways of keeping rubbing on the palms 0f my hands to a minimum? A few weeks ago, I got a little blister on an existing callous and it hurt like a bugger! Since then I have been putting some tape on my palms but it still peels off part way through. I am wondering if gloves would help or hinder the movement of the kb? What do you use? Im hoping to use something not too expensive but effective...

Like most everything else, you're going to have to experiment with a variety of ideas and figure out what works for you. It'll be a process.

For me, it's a combination of (1) using Corn Husker's Lotion every morning and night, (2) using a scraper a couple times a week (it looks something like this), and (3) as necessary, using the Rif sock sleeve described in this article.

if you're getting bad callouses with a lighter bell, you probably can work on your grip and technique so there's not a lot of rubbing, as said above. With many grinds, like getups, the bell should be held firm and stay stationary in the hand, and with the ballistics like swings, you can hold bell in your fingers and keep it in line with the forearm through centrifugal force so it doesn't move much relative to the hand. It's easier to do the latter with a heavier bell. Snatch is a little harder on the hands.

Last edited:
Athletic tape does not stay in place. I have these leather hand guards from Rogue that look like what male gymnasts wear when they are on the high bar. I don't like those either but if you pay for shipping I'll send them to you at no cost. The best thing really is to learn how not to tear callouses.

I have never tried Mole Skin on my hands, but I have used it on my feet lots. I wonder if it would work for hand tears?

When I was playing Kendo a lot I would sometimes tear open blisters on my feet. One of my sensei gave me some White Flower. It is a Chinese analgesic liquid. One would think that dousing an open blister would sting like mad, but it's surprising that it only tingles a bit. It works a treat in the healing. You can get it at any Chinese pharmacy.
I have since used it to good effect the odd time I tear a callous climbing. Joshua Tree climbing salve also works well on a torn callous.

I have also used a ton of moleskin on my feet over the years, but I have a hunch it wouldn't work for this application, although I haven't tried.

But... as most every one has said... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Ive always had the callouses...they started way back years ago when I began weight training. I dont know if its because I have smaller hands and maybe have to kind of use my palms as well as fingers to grip the weight (or bell) I mainly feel that I might tear the callouses when I do clean and press. But swings really squish up thecarea where the callouses are....not pretty. I trjed some medical tape from work but it just kind of rolls up after a few sets...lol. What is Mole Skin?

Moleskin is predominantly a foot care product for blister prevention/management. You can find it in the foot care aisle of any pharmacy.

I've had my fair share of skin tears and blisters. I've found that the best to do is to make sure to keep them sanded down. Make sure your grip is correct. Also moisturize moisturize moisturize. It will help them heal quicker.

I also find a blister under a callous very sensitive. I usually try and drain the fluid. Sometimes the skin will stay put and other times the callous will become loose and then I end up having to cut it off and start over.

I've had my fair share of skin tears and blisters. I've found that the best to do is to make sure to keep them sanded down. Make sure your grip is correct. Also moisturize moisturize moisturize. It will help them heal quicker.

I also find a blister under a callous very sensitive. I usually try and drain the fluid. Sometimes the skin will stay put and other times the callous will become loose and then I end up having to cut it off and start over.
Ouch...

I normally use a bit of goose-neck to my grip, and keep the handle across the bridge of my hand. When snatching I use the same method.

For me when it transitions from a finger hold to a palm/bridge hold is where it gives me trouble, so I try to eliminate that as much as possible.

Im thinkin my fingers arent long enough to get a good strong grip.. but Im working with all the good tips youve given and I havent had any more blisters or tears so Im happy!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom