all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Travelling with Kettlebells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anthony Della Rosa

Level 4 Valued Member
I am travelling next week and would like to take two kettle bells with me to use in my hotel room for the week. Does anyone know the best way to transport them? I will not be parking at the hotel, but I am wondering how it will be viewed if I am farmer walking 2-24kg bells to my room?

Any suggestions?

to be honest I wouldn't worry about how it looks, cause to those in the know, it looks bad a#@ ;) as far as transporting them, if you have milk crate to keep them from rolling around your trunk. Or someone asked a very similar question on a thread last week and the suggestion of using the seat belts in the back of you car to keep them in place was brought forward. perhaps putting your luggage or a couple of towels or clothes around then could be an idea.

good luck and strength to you!

Will you be close enough to put em on the luggage cart? Last time I vacationed with one that's how I brought it in.

I'd consider just bringing one, but either way they do have handles for a reason. When carrying them longer distance I clean em and roll the body up onto my trap/top of my shoulder.

Transporting the bells in your car can get a bit awkward and the bells might move around due to inertia. I found that it is best to put them in the back of the car right under the backseats where the feet normally are. But even there you should secure it with some other luggage

Hello,

@Anthony Della Rosa
Depending on the exercises and program you are following, can bodyweight alternatives (and / or) rubber band use be worth considering ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Strapped in if in the cabin (you don't want them turning into projectiles in a rollover) or in the truck.

Just farmer carry them in. Most people aren't paying attention to anything but themselves and their phones and won't notice.* Those that do notice won't care.

*The art of people watching is dead. Smartphones and instagram/Facebook killed it.

+1 on Marc. I transport mine behind the front seats with the handles touching the floor and the body snugged up against the wall. I then place bags or other cargo between them. The bells don't get a chance to move and smash anything. I have been doing this for years and routinely carry them without incident. Matter of fact, I have two 20's, two 24's, and a 28 in my car right now. My car does have separate "wells" behind the seats, thus KBs cannot roll from one side to the other.

With two you will definitely have to put something to keep them from rolling around. It can be a small block of wood, piece of carpet, anything bulky enough to take up the room and not really heavy, as you are simply preventing momentum. The important part is to ensure the handles are touching the floor and their bodies are snug against the walls as that "anchors" them from rolling in those directions.

Imagine that you're driving at 120 kph (75 mph) with an unrestrained 24-kg kettlebell somewhere in your car. Now imagine that you run into a wall or collide head-on with another vehicle. The energy of the kettlebell (13,333 Joules) as it crashes through your car will be approximately the same as that of .50 BMG sniper cartridge (14,000 to 18,000 Joules). The .50 BMG is that big boy on the left:

440px-Rifle_cartridge_comparison.jpg

So, the lesson is: keep your 0.50 BMG cartridges--I mean, your kettlebells--solidly restrained when you travel with them in your car.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom