all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Alternative to the Eugen Sandow's sit up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

Below is the E. Sandow's version of the sit up. It can be done with a weight or not.
upload_2017-7-25_21-20-57.png

However, if some folks are used to do it with a weight, and still want to do it when they do not have access to a weight (during a travel for instance) an alternative exist.

You can pass a rubber band between a closed door and the doorframe. Then, you place your back against the door, your toes too. You have to pay attention to avoid the hyperlordosis.You grab the band, with straight arms. Of course, your arms will be higher than the door frame. Then, you engage your abs and do the same move than described on the picture above. Lumbars have to stay stuck against the wall.

This alternative works pretty well. We can adjust the difficulty using a more or less resistant rubber band. You can perform it while tensing all your body (including glutes).

It can be more convenient to put a rubber band in a back pack than carrying a weight.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

In addition to the above, related to sets /reps of HS sit ups:
Hardstyle Abs & Consistency

So, if we link this to the hypertrophy with calistechnics protocol:
Hypertrophy with calisthenics protocol

I guess we can get some abs hypertrophy using the "Bodyweight Bear" template (10 sets of 2 - 4 reps)

Plus, if I remember well (maybe @Pavel Macek can confirm (or not) or give details), E. Sandow used to train :
=> with very low rep sets, almost daily, but avoinding fatigue and failure
=> He also said that light bicycle from time to time was good.

Then, beyond genetics, I guess this kind of protocol AND a clean diet can lead to both a pretty decent physique and impressive strength.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Many of the old Strongmen had similar methodologies, which show a strong correlation with the methodology taught by StrongFirst. They approached their training as a practice --not a workout. Much of their work can be googled and downloaded as pdf. It's interesting to read, but they never go into great detail about things like programming. They just gloss over their general training philosophy.

A few I've found via Google search:
The Development of Physical Power by Arthur Saxon
Strength and How to Obtain It by Eugen Sandow
Charles Atlas Bodybuilding System by Charles Atlas
Illustrated Hints for Health and Strength for Busy People by Adrian Peter Schmidt

Hello,

@SolidBrawn
Yes you are right !

The section "Routine of Training" of "The Development of Physical Power" (Saxon) is pretty interesting: http://dandmlifting.weebly.com/uploads/5/1/2/5/5125250/physicalpower_-_arthur_saxon.pdf
Basically, full body training / different kinds of lifts, pretty heavy, a few lifts each time, twice a week

Related to E. Sandow, this is more difficult:http://evilcyber.com/downloads/Strength and How to Obtain It - Eugen Sandow.pdf
He shows a routine based on light weights, with multiple reps. However, when you read the entire book, it appears that he used to train fairly heavy. Sandow was surely a good business man because he also sent "strength classes".

Peter Schmidt had a very interesting routine too, but sligthly different:
15-Minute Morning Workout Routine | The Art of Manliness
https://ia800409.us.archive.org/20/items/illustratedhints00schm/illustratedhints00schm.pdf

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'd be interested to know if this is basically the same as the straight leg sit up, like the one featured in bullet proof abs and the no momentum sit up featured in combat conditioning.. by far my favorite way to do sit ups, legs straight, glutes locked..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom