all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Breathing in Viking Warrior

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ELM

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all
What is the breathing technique you find the best for the snatch protocol 15/15 in Viking Warrior? I inhale on the way up, exhale in the victory pose, inhale again while going down and exhale in the down position. I am trying to build strength and explosive endurance for jiujitsu. Would like to know if this is okay or should I try another approach (like only exhaling in victory position)?

Double exhale, sharp hiss on way up and way down was one of the trend when Viking Warrior Conditioning came up. Although it was not the author's intent, some of the instructors recommended.

But in event of pursuing this program, breathing pattern matters less because it's heart pounding and there's no way you can control. In another words if you are able to control breathing, then you're doing this program incorrectly.

Double exhale, sharp hiss on way up and way down was one of the trend when Viking Warrior Conditioning came up. Although it was not the author's intent, some of the instructors recommended.

But in event of pursuing this program, breathing pattern matters less because it's heart pounding and there's no way you can control. In another words if you are able to control breathing, then you're doing this program incorrectly.
I'm new in the viking warrior program. could you explain me more about the correct way to maximize the results with this program? I"m a bjj practitioner and i"m trying to use the viking warrior to maximize my strength and explosive endurance. If not could you recommend me another way? by the way I don't like jogging, so that is why I'm trying this program for those types of endurance I need.

Hello,

@ELM
Did you try a kb swing protocol to get some variety ? Lots of folks use S&S for instance, with good results in their martial art.

VW is based on a pretty high volume so it also implies a good technique to stay safe, to perform better your BJJ.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@ELM
Did you try a kb swing protocol to get some variety ? Lots of folks use S&S for instance, with good results in their martial art.

VW is based on a pretty high volume so it also implies a good technique to stay safe, to perform better your BJJ.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi, Pet
as a matter of fact I'm currently doing the S&S program and it is great. The only problem with S&S is that my heart rate only stays around 124-126 beats whereas with VW I always reach 156-162 beats since the first round that had brought me great benefits to handle the all out six min rounds in Bjj. That is why I want to be sure to take the maximum benefit of VW by breathing correctly. Do you think I would need a personal instructor to correct my VW breathing tecnique?.
Thank you in advance because you had helped me a lot, and sorry to bother you with so many questions.

I would suggest focusing on keeping your overall snatch technique as pristine as possible and then worry about breathing. In the most basic way for high rep snatches, take two inhales sniffs on the way down and exhale at the top of the snatch. Once you know how, breathing technique just takes practice to become consistent.

The purpose of Viking Warrior Conditioning to my knowledge is simply expanding the Vo2 Max capacity.
I received direct lecture from Kenneth Jay long time ago as he was talking extensively about the effect of expanding left ventricle capacity resulting more oxygen delivered to muscles.

You need to do the cadence test first to determine weight of the kettlebell.

I did not do 15/15 version to be honest and jumped right up to Boost protocol, given at the time I was confident in my snatch skill. I measured my Vo2 Max capacity at a facility before and after as trainer recognized numbers were increasing.

Having said that, strength and mobility are also contributors to endurance and heart/lung capacity is just part of it.
Current S&S I believe is evolved from ommitting the non-essential training and strip down to bare minimum, including VWC out of the equation.

If you want conditioning for BJJ, S&S woud pretty much do enough. I have not encountered the necessity of needing a higher heart pounding in martial arts (including ground fighting) yet to this point .
But 20 reps of one arm swing with few seconds break for numerous sets gets my heart up to 160-180 bpm.
At one point I had heart rate monitor on and started the next set when heart rate goes down to 120.

While I question why would you need higher heart rate, I do understand that by experiencing that much of a rate ( due to panic during sparring etc), you still need to keep thought process so that you could process the problem.

I have done only the 15:15 of VW because I 'm not at 80 repetitions yet, so I think I've only got the fractional utilization of my vo2 max with a 35-pound kettlebell; also I've monitor my heart rate with polar beat program in the cellphone only every time. And about the panic, it is that reason because I began with VW program, and I've noticed that it has helped me a lot with that; the heart rate can increased a lot in competition. Talking about S&S I was wondering if it could help me with the anxiety.Thank you so much guys; I have so much to learn of this kettle bell world.

Hello,

Hand tear and blisters and calluses can also occur pretty easily with such a snatch volume. As a BJJ guy, paying attention to the grip recovery is also important.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom