all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebells and Judo

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I just wanted to share a little of my experiences stopping kettlebells for about 3 months due to a sore shoulder but doing 3-6 days of judo (and BJJ) training. I have definitely gotten fitter but have lost a LOT of strength.

It will be interesting to see how quickly you get back to your former level. Keep us posted!

@Kozushi
So BJJ/Judo was easier on your shoulders than kettlebells? Wow. I did aikido, back in the day, but this is surprising, since I would think your martial arts would work the shoulders quite a bit..
How did you get fitter, yet lose strength? Was it aerobic fitness?

@Kozushi
So BJJ/Judo was easier on your shoulders than kettlebells? Wow. I did aikido, back in the day, but this is surprising, since I would think your martial arts would work the shoulders quite a bit..
How did you get fitter, yet lose strength? Was it aerobic fitness?
Because you can choose to not put your shoulder strength into judo and BJJ etc, but still work out. I am building muscles for sure, but not in my arms nor in the same way as when lifting weights, so I am certainly losing strength and it's very noticeable everywhere. Yes, I am more aerobically fit, correct, MUCH more.

Hello,

Because you rely less on your strength, did you notice that you were more relying on your technique ? So do you notice some technical improvement ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Actually if you are an experienced practitioner of judo/bjj you can control which parts of your body you use the most. My brother is a bjj purple belt and training around injuries has improved his game in other areas which ultimateley made him a better fighter. Also he rarely does any weight training anymore but bjj 5-8x/week. Still he can pull 180kg for 3 sets of 3 in the deadlift

Actually if you are an experienced practitioner of judo/bjj you can control which parts of your body you use the most. My brother is a bjj purple belt and training around injuries has improved his game in other areas which ultimateley made him a better fighter. Also he rarely does any weight training anymore but bjj 5-8x/week. Still he can pull 180kg for 3 sets of 3 in the deadlift
Yes, for BJJ I don't miss my strength, but in judo I miss it a lot. You can use your weight a lot in BJJ but in judo pulling and pushing have to happen.

Are you eventually going to try and progress into 1 hand swings with the 40kg?
If I get well enough to go back to S&S then, yes, but for the time being I'm not sure.

2h movements are stronger movements. I need double the power in my moves and I need to move my body all together in judo. 1h movements are simply different movements. They are also important. For the time being I'm doing 1h swings with the 32 and 2h with the 40.

Another thing about the 10X10 2h with the 40 is that both arms and in fact my whole body are being used for all 100 swings. When I do the 100 swings 1 handed, I'm giving my arms only half the amount of exercise and conditioning because it's 50 per side.

@Kozushi, heal quickly! If you feel your sore shoulder was due to anything you did in your kettlebell practice, please seek out an instructor and/or post some video here.

My experience has been that strength doesn't leave one as quickly as conditioning does, so you may find you are able to return to good form fairly quickly but need to use a lighter weight and/or do less volume and build up those parts of your training more gradually.

-S-

@Kozushi, heal quickly! If you feel your sore shoulder was due to anything you did in your kettlebell practice, please seek out an instructor and/or post some video here.

My experience has been that strength doesn't leave one as quickly as conditioning does, so you may find you are able to return to good form fairly quickly but need to use a lighter weight and/or do less volume and build up those parts of your training more gradually.

-S-
Nope, nothing I did with kettlebells has ever hurt me. It was trying a one arm hang from the bar with my right arm. Actually, my left handled it fine. To boot, I did this after a 2h elite judo training session which involved all kinds of plyometric callisthenics let alone fighting!

My shoulder is almost fully healed now. Good point about strength staying with me. It has. 1h swings with the 32 are still an utter joke but 2h with the 40 are a decent workout at the moment. 1h with the 40 in sets of 5 are okay. I did the getups from S&S a few days ago with the 16kg.

It's so clear to me how important S&S (or something similar to it) is for my judo: I've seen what it's like to do judo while S&S strong and what it's like to do judo without S&S and the difference is like day and night.

I also have to add that I can't see how I could replicate the fighting strength I get with kettlebells through any other method unless maybe very heavy barbell work or something like that which I don't have easy access to.

Last edited:
@Kozushi, have you tried doing carries to help with your shoulder? I think the basic formula prescribed by Grey Cook - overhead carry followed by rack carry followed by farmers carry followed by switch and do the other side - is really good prehab/rehab for the shoulders.

One way to integrate it into S&S: on your last getup on each side, skip the getting down part and, with the bell overhead, go for a walk, doing what I listed above. I like to do this sometimes after the last rep of my last set of presses.

-S-

@Kozushi, have you tried doing carries to help with your shoulder? I think the basic formula prescribed by Grey Cook - overhead carry followed by rack carry followed by farmers carry followed by switch and do the other side - is really good prehab/rehab for the shoulders.

One way to integrate it into S&S: on your last getup on each side, skip the getting down part and, with the bell overhead, go for a walk, doing what I listed above. I like to do this sometimes after the last rep of my last set of presses.

-S-
Thank you. I would not have thought of that. I'll add those into my routine!

Let us know how you like it. Go for the same kind of hard-but-not-all-out effort at each stage you'd do for your swings and getups. I find about 50 steps of overhead, 50 steps of rack, and 100 steps of farmers walk to be about right for me. I do the overhead and rack in one direction then the farmers to get back to where I started. Remember these are supporting lifts, so finding positions where your structure does the work is key: weight over your shoulder and hip for overhead, a good rack position with arm in contact with torso and bell, and carry "on your lat" at arms length.

-S-

Let us know how you like it. Go for the same kind of hard-but-not-all-out effort at each stage you'd do for your swings and getups. I find about 50 steps of overhead, 50 steps of rack, and 100 steps of farmers walk to be about right for me. I do the overhead and rack in one direction then the farmers to get back to where I started. Remember these are supporting lifts, so finding positions where your structure does the work is key: weight over your shoulder and hip for overhead, a good rack position with arm in contact with torso and bell, and carry "on your lat" at arms length.

-S-
I've been doing these with the 16kg bell with my right (bad) side. For the rack position, I start to feel a healthy kind of burn after about 80 steps. The farmer's carries are just excellent things as we all know and challenge the grip and your whole frame. I like how the rack position clearly strengthens the whole frame to handle asymmetrical loads. I've chickened out so far with the overhead carries. I will try them soon. Strangely, when I do my S&S getups properly with good form with the 32 my shoulder is not irritated one bit. Anyhow, I will remain mildly frustrated until I can get back to doing S&S with the 40. I'm clearly weaker now than I was before the injury, but only a little. I think with these supporting lifts helping me to rebuild the internal strength I need, I'll come back stronger than before. With more of my 'frame' muscles bearing the loads, my shoulder takes less strain. I'm pretty excited about these new moves and what they will clearly do for my progress! Thank you very much!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom