all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Packed overhead carries/holds lead to pinching

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bauer

Level 8 Valued Member
Hi there,

my shoulder mobility is quite fine in general. But when I get to kneeling and standing in TGU and I try to pack my left shoulder I feel a deep pinching inside my shoulder, probably at the acromion. I think it's some kind of impingement. Same with active hangs or nonweighted work. It's only painful when I look my elbow out and at the last few degrees before my arm is vertical. The pain is on the front of the shoulder.

Do you have suggestions for dealing with this? Has anyone had a similar condition and found a way to get rid of it?

In the meantime I will try passive hanging and the exercises Mike Fitch has put up for front shoulder pain: Shoulder Rehab Exercises for Better Bodyweight Training |

I would see a medical professional, particularly one who understands kettlebell lifts. I don't recommend working through pain until you get it looked at. Also, maybe getting with an SFG to look at your technique.

Until then, you can still do partial get-ups if you like. Just stop the get-up before the half-kneeling position.

Agreed on getting this checked out by a physical therapist. This is actually a somewhat common problem, we've referred a handful of people to a trusted physical therapist because they experience similar symptoms. The good news is that it has always been a fairly quick and easy process to get everything squared away, you just need to get the right drills/stretches for your particular shoulder ... the PT should be able to help you with this.

Thanks for your input. I am still researching good professionals in my area that know their stuff about lifting mechanics.

Meanwhile I have found some interesting discussions about shoulder packing. There is a lot of controversy and confusing deabte, but - as always - Dan John has a great way of putting it in this article:

Years ago, Janis Donis, the famous Javelin thrower, mentioned to me that all throwing movements need to be done with and “Open Armpit” to protect the shoulder. It illuminated my discus throwing and kept me trouble free for decades of pain free shoulders. Literally, one needs to expose the entire armpit in throwing movements and not twist or turn the shoulder down which is often the signal of an “arm throw.”

As I worked with more and more guys who had been in collision sports and trained like bodybuilders, teaching the packed shoulder became a more of a chore. Between the injuries and the Frankenstein training, there seems to be a lack of awareness of where the shoulder is on many athletes. I know, many are thinking: “isn’t it right next to my head?”

So, the million dollar drill, get ready: Grab the tag on your shirt for me, you know, the one on the back of your collar. For most guys, Welcome to the Packed Shoulder! Now, many will have to slide down the spine a bit more to get the position, but this simple movement “instantly” gives the packed shoulder. Note how the bicep is on the year, probably the most heard phrase during Waiter Walks, and how “open” the arm pit has become with this simple move. Hold the shoulder in this position and simply straighten out the arm. This is the packed shoulder, the open arm pit, and, with the body in the cylinder, it is time to drop the bell.​

Wow! This kind of cueing has instantly improved my positioning and relieved most of the pain.

So my temporary strategy will be:
a) Look for a good doctor or PT in my area that can diagnose my issue and propose solid rehab
b) Experiment with the "open armpit" and "grab my t-shirt tag" cues from Dan John
c) Do half get-ups only
d) Work on the starting position of the get up (lying on the back with the weight pressed up) - Kelly Starret uses this position to let ball slide into the socket of the shoulder joint. I have read that a couple of you guys use the starting positiong to get used to heavier bells. Seems beneficial!

Have a great weekend everyone!

@Bauer, another very good cue comes from Pavel's "Resilient" DVD, and includes a drill, but the idea is one he's mentioned elsewhere as well: try to lengthen your collarbone. This helps pack the shoulder but keep it "open" at the same time.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom