all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Left Glute Injury on Kettlebell Swings

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mitch

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey everybody,

Could use advice from anyone who has experienced symptoms like this before. Over the last couple of weeks, I've had a twinging pain in my left glute and the part of my back directly above my hip -- though only on my left side -- whenever I swing.

I tried to stretch that area -- the best stretch for it feels like the figure-4 stretch with my left ankle over my right knee -- and make sure I warmed up properly before every set.

It's always been tolerable in the first set, and went away by the second or third, but today was the first day I had to stop swings on my second set. I downgraded to a 16 kilo bell to see how it felt, and it was basically the same.

I pretty much only experience the pain when I tense the glutes for the swing. Other exercises, including running and hiking, feel fine. TGUs are fine too, on either side.

Very restricted to that left glute and the region around it. I'm very puzzled by what exactly it is and how best to treat it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I have no idea what would cause that or if it's even related to the swings. If it were me I would stop doing swings until it healed and then start back with a lighter bell no heavier than a 16k. Of course the most likely answer you're going to get is see a doctor. Having your form checked by an SFG would be in order too or at least submit a video on here.

I'm not a physicist and you should definitely see one, but pain in one side of the glutes together with pain in the lower back area is often associated with a pinched nerve, most commonly the ischias.

I'm not a physicist and you should definitely see one, but pain in one side of the glutes together with pain in the lower back area is often associated with a pinched nerve, most commonly the ischias.

Thanks Kettlebelephant, I looked up the symptoms of a pinched ischias, and I'm sure you're right.

I got a deep tissue massage which helped a lot, and did some additional stretching like pigeon pose and a couple of others. I swung today and felt much better, but I will consult a doctor about it.

Wanted to share on update on this thread, which I also mentioned in my training log:

I had been advised it might be a pinched nerve, possibly the sciatic or ischias. Looking up the symptoms, that seemed to be right.

I consulted physical therapists and did a lot of recommended stretches for sciatic nerve pain: figure four, pigeon pose, etc. They seemed to help, but even while I was resting I felt some residual aching in my left glute and back directly above it.

I then found these threads from a couple years ago:

S&S Sciatic Nerve Pain?

Pain in Left Buttock

After reading these, in my case it seemed like the sciatica diagnosis may have been off. I never had tingling or numbness. And I never felt discomfort or pain in my leg. It seems more likely to have been a piriformis issue.

So I incorporated the stretch that Sean Schniederjan describes in the "Pain in Left Buttock" thread:

"Lay on your right side and "sideways squat" (flex both knees and hips) so the left leg is airborne and the right is against the floor.

Now extend the left knee and gradually bring the left hip into deeper flexion. It should look kind of like a pistol squat. But gravity is pulling on you sideways -especially that left leg- instead of down. Hold for 10 seconds or so."

After doing this I feel better doing swings than I have in weeks. Much more effective than any of the other prescribed stretches.

@Mitch, have you tried windmills?

-S-

Haven't, but definitely will if you think it might help. Is there a bell size you'd recommend using? Or just generally light vs. heavy?

Did them years ago as one exercise in a "kettlebell class" at a gym -- 45 minutes of sweating and flailing bells around. But I remember them being very gratifying.

Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Lee
A properly done windmill is a great stretch for the smaller glute muscles and the piriformis - those things often provide relief for back pain and, IMHO, keeping those muscles relaxed helps prevent future back pain.

We teach this at our Level II instructor certification, and there is a progression. I would start with no weight at all, graduate to the low version where you pick up a weight with the bottom hand, and from that graduate to having a weight overhead. A light weight will suffice for most people and purposes.

The windmill is one of my favorite movements to practice and I think it's worthy of a small book in terms of all the things you need to do and be aware of to make it safe and effective. Get yourself some instruction from a Level II SFG if at all possible.

-S-

A properly done windmill is a great stretch for the smaller glute muscles and the piriformis - those things often provide relief for back pain and, IMHO, keeping those muscles relaxed helps prevent future back pain.

We teach this at our Level II instructor certification, and there is a progression. I would start with no weight at all, graduate to the low version where you pick up a weight with the bottom hand, and from that graduate to having a weight overhead. A light weight will suffice for most people and purposes.

The windmill is one of my favorite movements to practice and I think it's worthy of a small book in terms of all the things you need to do and be aware of to make it safe and effective. Get yourself some instruction from a Level II SFG if at all possible.

-S-

Sounds great. Thanks so much!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom