all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Building volume through low rep bodyweight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
I have been using the Litvinov with a 24kg for conditioning for July and August as part of a the TB. Its working well and it's challenging.
Anyhow it's basically 20 snatch 10 L and 10 R and then 100 m sprint.
Generally do 5 depending how I feel.
I then finish with a circuit 5 clapping push ups, 5 pull ups on football cross bar and 5 goblets squats. I use fast and loose and then go again when I'm fresh. I started with 5 rounds and add as round as week. I'm up to 9 rounds now.
Is it better to build volume through extra sets rather than increasing the reps. This way I feel fresh but it's still pretty challenging

Hello,

@conor78
Volume depends from time under tension, reps, and also nutrition (caloric intake)

I basically use some kind of slow twitch protocol with good results:
How to Build Your Slow Fibers, Part I
How to Build Your Slow Fibers, Part II
How to Build Your Slow Fibers Part III

You can then combine slow and fast twitch. This is what I do.

For instance, related to push ups, you use a slow tempo for the eccentric phase (get down), a hold in bottom position, a fast concentric phase (get up), a hold on the top position. For instance, 5/2/1/2. Then, I add a back off set with no contrast in the phase.

Targetting between 10 - 12 for push ups is the right sweet spot for me to build both strength and hypertrophy. I get conditioning too if I reduce the rest. Some moves, such as pull up works the same way, but with a slightly higher volume (around 20 - 25 reps)

Compounds are effecient to build muscle to avoid isolation. For instance, pull ups, push ups, squats, etc...

When it comes to this kind of training, I choose a 3 times a week frame.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom