all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Does the brand of kettlebell really matter?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I like to use my Best Buy TV reference. When you're at Best Buy looking at TVs, you can point out all the little differences. When you take the TV home, you'll forget all the little differences.

I would focus on just a few points about the kettlebell and find a product that meet them. Kettlebell hitting your wrist? Get one with a higher horn. Hands getting too raw? Get one with smoother coating.

Most likely all kb's will work, it's just a hunk of iron, but people here will point you to more reputable brands.

Style matters - for what we do around here, the preferred style is the style created by Pavel back in the day, which is different than the competition style where every weight is the same size.

Plenty of folks use the competition style bells for our programs - whatever works for you is fine, of course, but if you have a choice, you might as well use the kind of bell you see in all our books and what we use at our certs and courses.

-S-

I think there are brands to avoid because the dimensions are off. By "dimensions" I don't necessarily mean the weight of the KB, which can be off, but the distance between the handle and the top of the KB. If this distance is larger than "standard" then snatches and cleans become awkward. This is one of the reasons I switched to competition KBs - uniformity of dimensions. But even KBs sold as "competition" can be off. You just need to do some research.

Style matters - for what we do around here, the preferred style is the style created by Pavel back in the day, which is different than the competition style where every weight is the same size.

Plenty of folks use the competition style bells for our programs - whatever works for you is fine, of course, but if you have a choice, you might as well use the kind of bell you see in all our books and what we use at our certs and courses.

-S-

Don't have a book in front of me Steve. Are they the same that's on the home page which I believe are Preform Better?

I think there are brands to avoid because the dimensions are off. By "dimensions" I don't necessarily mean the weight of the KB, which can be off, but the distance between the handle and the top of the KB. If this distance is larger than "standard" then snatches and cleans become awkward. This is one of the reasons I switched to competition KBs - uniformity of dimensions. But even KBs sold as "competition" can be off. You just need to do some research.

Thanks Mike! I have 16kg from Walmart, Lol. I also have a 20kg and a 24kg but they were given to me. Not sure what brand they are. I was thinking of getting a 32 kg in the future but price would be important. The ones on the home page aren't to bad.

Yes @Shawn Strongfirst uses the Perform brand which are fine kettlebells. Whatever you get just make sure to buy quality and read the reviews. The casting on lower end bells can cause you problems with your hands especially when doing snatches. I think the best bang for the buck are the Rogue bells. Great quality, casting, looks, and price. I just bought a 24k for just over $80 and that included shipping.

Yes, @Shawn. My last few kettlebell purchases have been Perform Better and then Rep Fitness. I found the latter on amazon.com and, although the finish is different than Perform Better, I like it just as much, it got good reviews, and it cost less, so that's probably what I'm looking towards in the future.

-S-

Yes @Shawn Strongfirst uses the Perform brand which are fine kettlebells. Whatever you get just make sure to buy quality and read the reviews. The casting on lower end bells can cause you problems with your hands especially when doing snatches. I think the best bang for the buck are the Rogue bells. Great quality, casting, looks, and price. I just bought a 24k for just over $80 and that included shipping.

Thanks Hasbro! The reason I asked this is because the ones I have the snatches didn't feel right. I had Dragondoor KBs years ago and had no problems with snatches. I had to sell them for financial reasons. I thought it was just me.

Yes, @Shawn. My last few kettlebell purchases have been Perform Better and then Rep Fitness. I found the latter on amazon.com and, although the finish is different than Perform Better, I like it just as much, it got good reviews, and it cost less, so that's probably what I'm looking towards in the future.

-S-

Once again Thanks for your help Steve.

I always recommend to buy better quality bells from the start, even for beginners. You never know if this piece of iron will stay with you longer.

My first bells were poor quality, cheap, rubber-coated crap. This rubber makes bells unstable for Renegade Rows, and handles were so bad that they were cutting my hands. Selling them out wasnt an easy task.

Now I got good quality powder-coated bells from polish manufacturer (Proud). They are perfect. I can tell from photos that they are pretty similar to these from Rogue.

You should check if you prefer powder-coated finish or maybe more smooth, painted one. Not having much experience with competition bells, did a training or two with them but it was hard to get used to their size.

EDIT: Sorry, I accidentally made a post here I should have put elsewhere

Last edited:
It matters to an extent.

As @MikeTheBear stated, some bells are just "off," in the shape of the handle, proportions and balance, where they rest on the forearm, etc.

Some other semi-random observations and personal preferences:
--Beware of very smooth thick paint. The smoothness makes the handles hard to hold onto and the thick finish tends to chip and leave big divots that look terrible and are very uncomfortable if they occur on the handle.

--Beware of seams and bumps in the casting, which are very uncomfortable and can tear up your hands.

--A lot of KB brands, especially in powder coated cast iron bells, including Rogue and Kettlebell Kings, seem to be made from the same generic design, although there will be variations in the molded branding and the texture of the powder coat. I have no experience with current Perform Better, but they look similar in pictures. I have some horrible older Perform Better bells that are a different design, with thick paint over lots of filler, vinyl coatings and a rubber bumper on the bottom.

--I believe the original DragonDoor KBs (16, 24, and 32kg; other sizes came later) were molded after Pavel's own KBs. The current generic KB design works fine, but is NOT the same. I have seen a post here from someone who bought a Kettlebells USA Metrixx Classic E-coat bell to match a DD KB and reported they were virtually identical. So if you are looking to match a DragonDoor, or like the design, but don't want to buy DragonDoor, that's were I'd look.

--Powder coat can have a very nice handle texture, but is not nearly as durable as the E-coat used by DragonDoor and Kettlebells USA. My powder coated bells from Rogue all have significant chips and peeling, whereas my E-coat bells, some of which are MUCH older, have small dings and wear spots, but no chipping or peeling. In use, the chipping and peeling is not really a problem since it hasn't happened on the gripping part of the handles and I don't feel it at all, plus the powder coat is thin (a good thing in this case) so it doesn't leave a very uneven surface or big divots when it chips.

--I have become a big fan of the Kettlebells USA Paradigm Pro Elite Precision competition style bells. I now have a few pairs of these, and I ALWAYS reach for them instead of my cast iron (mostly DragonDoor and a few Rogue) bells of the same sizes.

The 35mm handles (they also come in 33mm) are "right sized" to me, a little smaller than standard cast iron, and very comfortable without feeling thin in my average sized hands. The bells rest on a comfortable spot on my forearm, and the texture of the bare metal handles is smooth, but with a bit of grain to it that works well with or without chalk, and isn't slick like some very polished competition bell handles.

Some surprising things about them are that they have more room and are more comfortable for two hand swings than my cast iron bells, and that they are easier to keep from clinking together when using doubles.

--Kettlebells USA also has a cast iron Metrixx Elite line, which is supposed to be designed with more space for two hand swings and proportional handle windows so that all sizes rest in the same place on the forearm. I have no personal experience with these.

--I don't think you can go too far wrong with the generic powder coated bells from a reputable/popular source, and they are probably the best value for a lot of people (a servicable bell at the lowest price). However, it is definitely worth it to ME to spend more for the bells I like the best.

You have to find a brand that "feels right". Handle thickness and finish texture can vary greatly on non-competition bells.

I have a 24's, 28's and 32's from Rogue. As Steve W. mentioned, the "body" of the bells have chipped, but the grips are still in great shape. Those are my favorites that I have tried.

There are good brands and not so good brands. If you took the top 5 brands of kettlebells they are all likely more or less comparable quality and up to par with each other. Perform Better, Kettlebell Kings, Rogue, and a few other key brands all likely produce a comparable product. So definitely get a good brand over a cheap brand.

When I started I bought the CAP enamel coating off Amazon. I bought imperial weights, not metric, a 25 pound, two 45 pounds, and a 60 pound (all within about 18 months of each other). The 45 pound ones are wrecked and the paint has chipped off, especially on the handles. This was from me trying to learn the long cycle as my first kettlebell move (I found it on YouTube first. ), however the 60 pound one I have never done anything double with and have owned for nearly 3 years and still looks brand new. If you stick to singles work, and don't crash the kettlebells against each other they will look new for a very long time. Doubles wrecks them. That being said, I probably won't buy another enamel again.

I would see what your local options are. I live in Riverside, CA and have a gym supply store near me which sells a brand called Diamond Pro. Its a definite step up from the CAP brand I have, and is close to the Kettlebell Kings powder coat (I have a 40kg from them). I prefer the texture of the Kettlebell Kings, but the two are very close. But in terms of price? The Diamond Pro is 1.09 per pound. 32kg for $76 + tax. The brand is definitely good enough and the price edges out. Depending on what you buy online 40% of the cost could just be shipping it to you. If I lived in Austin Texas I would just pick up from Kettlebell Kings, and take advantage of the discount they offer for that.

I think we are starting to see, and will see much more in the future, is that a lot of kettlebell brands buy from a single manufacturer in China and the only difference is the branding they put on it. I looked on Alibaba and there are lots of kettlebell products for wholesale where they will put your logo on them and I have a strong suspicion that many brands will more or less just be selling the same thing made in the same factory but with different logos.

@Steve W. A good and accurate write-up. I also bought some of the earlier runs of the Perform Better cast irons and was not impressed. I think they changed the design for the better. I also agree that DD KBs had the best dimensions for a cast iron. But they were the most expensive, which is why I started experimenting with cheaper brands, for better or worse.

I also like the KettlebellsUSA competition bells. They are cheaper than even some cast iron bells and have the correct dimensions for an international competition bell. Of course there is not the "controversy" regarding handle diameter - the international standard is now 35 mm as opposed to 33 mm. This is a non-issue for me. I really like the fact that all my KBs except for two are the exact same dimensions and feel exactly the same (well, other than how much they weigh of course).

I also agree that KBs had the best dimensions for a cast iron. But they were the most expensive, which is why I started experimenting with cheaper brands, for better or worse.

FYI, you can not write DragonDoor as two words on this site or they will magically disappear, as seems to have happened in your post above, which I infer was intended to read:

I also agree that DragonDoor KBs had the best dimensions for a cast iron. But they were the most expensive, which is why I started experimenting with cheaper brands, for better or worse.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom