all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Connective Tissue Injuries

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
I've experienced several minor injuries since I started Simple & Sinister almost eight months ago. Not have been serious, and almost all seem to have occurred in connective tissue. One common trait is that, when I start to exercise, the pain is at its most intense (relatively speaking) and then subsides to almost nothing while I continue to exercise. Is his typical with connective tissue injuries?

I've experienced several minor injuries since I started Simple & Sinister almost eight months ago. Not have been serious, and almost all seem to have occurred in connective tissue. One common trait is that, when I start to exercise, the pain is at its most intense (relatively speaking) and then subsides to almost nothing while I continue to exercise. Is his typical with connective tissue injuries?
What does your Doctor say?

I'm glad you are seeing your Doc. Not glad that you need to see him/her of course.
Getting injured is no fun. But it's best to get sound medical advice so that you can work on proper healing and recovery strategies if required.
Keep us posted...

No expert, but that in my case that is more related to osteoarthritis or other joint issues. If I have problems with tendon or ligament it will hurt more the longer I use it, esp ligament damage.

I'd pay attention to the specifics - does the pain increase most when loading, deloading, when centrifugal force is applied etc, assuming there is a common trend.

Did you lift a lot in your younger days? If so, were they core lifts? Reason I ask is I've had similar issues in my Knees, Shoulder, etc. Mainly from old Football injuries and improper lifting (high school/College days of Bench, pulls, and squats). I'm now 43 and try to listen to my body and rest when injured (although it's hard). If I could tell my young self something it would be stop lifting near max, multiple times per week, and learn the proper technique of the bench press, military press,deadlift, and squat, dummy!:D

Last edited:
Did you lift a lot in your younger days?
No, I did not start exercising (apart from participating in recreational sports) until a few years ago, and I only started lifting kettlebells in January of this year. I'm 53 now, and I suspect that some of my injuries have occurred mainly because of my age. I've been taking things slowly, but perhaps I need to go even slower.

No, I did not start exercising (apart from participating in recreational sports) until a few years ago, and I only started lifting kettlebells in January of this year. I'm 53 now, and I suspect that some of my injuries have occurred mainly because of my age. I've been taking things slowly, but perhaps I need to go even slower.
We have a lot of time, Brett. I know it can be hard when you set your mind to something, but looking down the road I would rather be pain free than have nagging injuries (as in my case). I just hope I can still lift as you are now in 10 years, sir! Keep at it and listen to your body, mate! Nobody is judging you except yourself.

I have a few years on you Brett. And they have been all fairly high mileage. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion about it being age per se. There are so many variables, not least of which are our individual genetics, and biomechanics.
I think some people run into problems when there training and goals are misaligned. Also when their ambitions are not in harmony with their current abilities. I personally have had this occur to me numerous times in my career.
And sometimes 'stuff' just happens...
Hang in there.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom