all posts post new thread

Barbell How long does a PTTP session take? - and a question about conditioning and PTTP.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tirofijo

Level 6 Valued Member
I'm looking ahead to my next program. Time in the garage is limited.

How long does a strict PTTP deadlift + press session take and any idea how would that compare to Easy Strength? I assume Easy strength takes longer, unless I'm missing something.

I figure I'd do the updated version with sets of 5,3,and 2 though that's at little slower than two sets 5 and 5 (@90%).

Follow up - is there a consensus on a 'conditioning' protocol that works well with PTTP? I wonder how an antiglycolytic snatch protocol that doesn't tax me too much would work?

I haven't read the book yet. Maybe it's covered in it.

My priorities are increasing my deadlift, press and improving my snatch, in that order.

Thank you.

One option to achieve your goals is:
- Daily Dose Deadlift for deadlift. 5 days of 3-5 singles at 75%, and 6th day incrementally higher (80-92%) for 3-5 singles. 6 weeks.
- C&P ladders Rite of Passage style: 3 days a week, 3 ladders to 3 rungs, up to 5 ladders to 5 rungs, with medium day stopping one ring lower, and light day stopping 2 rungs lower.
- 1-2 heavy snatch days (low reps, lots of rest)

DDDL was a 10-minute investment when I ran it.

I haven’t done RoP but I believe it does get up there at the end when the heavy day is 5 ladders to 5 rungs (50 minutes?). The cleans give you the conditioning effect. But assuming you did deadlift and pressing on the same day, it would be up to an hour at the end of the program.

I'm currently doing PTTP, and it usually takes 10-15 min to do an abbreviated S&S warm-up (1 set as goblet sq, bridge & halo) and 2x5 per exercise.

A+A snatches should pair well. If time is short as you note, you might consider alternating days of pttp and snatches.

@Sean M Funny you should say that. I'm actually on day 33 of DDD and I'm not sure what week of ROP. :) I started ROP with 20kg and am now up to the first three rungs with the 24kg and the rest with 20kg. Tomorrow I'll try 4 rungs with the 24kg for the first time. It does take a while to get through 5 ladders of 5 rungs but I've compressed the rest period as much as I can.

But at some point I'll top out on the ROP and need to reset or do something else. DDD is a big mystery. I have no clue if it's working. I'm going by faith that it is. If I improve a lot I might run it for another 40 sessions and keep plugging along with ROP.

The time constraint takes some explaining. I have my own kettlebells at work, so most days I can take an hour at lunch to train and get showered. But my barbell and rack is at the house. No barbell at work. I have two toddlers, a dog and a wife that works as well. So when I get home, putting in the earphones and disappearing into the garage for an hour does not go over well. I want to stay married. Ten to 20 minutes I can manage.

@JonS Thanks for the info. That's about what I figured so it's nice to get some confirmation. As mentioned above, the time constraints are mostly with the barbell lifts. I've got plenty of time to do A+A snatches.

@Sean M Funny you should say that. I'm actually on day 33 of DDD and I'm not sure what week of ROP. :) I started ROP with 20kg and am now up to the first three rungs with the 24kg and the rest with 20kg. Tomorrow I'll try 4 rungs with the 24kg for the first time. It does take a while to get through 5 ladders of 5 rungs but I've compressed the rest period as much as I can.

But at some point I'll top out on the ROP and need to reset or do something else. DDD is a big mystery. I have no clue if it's working. I'm going by faith that it is. If I improve a lot I might run it for another 40 sessions and keep plugging along with ROP.

The time constraint takes some explaining. I have my own kettlebells at work, so most days I can take an hour at lunch to train and get showered. But my barbell and rack is at the house. No barbell at work. I have two toddlers, a dog and a wife that works as well. So when I get home, putting in the earphones and disappearing into the garage for an hour does not go over well. I want to stay married. Ten to 20 minutes I can manage.

@JonS Thanks for the info. That's about what I figured so it's nice to get some confirmation. As mentioned above, the time constraints are mostly with the barbell lifts. I've got plenty of time to do A+A snatches.
I’m with you - I have 3 little ones and my wife is ready for me to be home when I get home from work, so my barbell time is limited too. DDDL was perfect because I could get the 10 minutes in, no sweat, no warmup needed, between getting home and kids bedtime. I trained S&S after kids were down when I ran it.

After TSC next weekend I’m starting RoP and may run DDDL again with it, because I liked it so much. I had the same question - is this even working?! - but trust the program. It was my first deadlift program and I pulled 270 after it was done, pulling 5 daily singles of 175 from an assumed 1RM of 230. Newbie gains for sure, but the skill development aspect of the program is its special sauce.

My Pttp season is 20 minutes. But in the end of the cycle, it will take more because i need more warm up set.

I haven't ran the PTTP per se but have done workouts really similar to it. I think 5+5 a movement is faster to do than 5+3+2. Most of the time I spend in the gym is rest. The sets themselves don't take that long.

Load the bar = 1 minute
Do a set = 1 minute
Rest = 5 minutes
Do a set = 1 minute
Load the bar = 1 minute
Rest a bit = 2 minutes
Do a set = 1 minute
Rest = 5 minutes
Do a set = 1 minute
Unload the bar = 1 minute

That comes up to 19 minutes.

PTTP sessions are so short that you almost have to have a homegym setup...15-20min at most.
For my PTTP cycle I went to the gym with my friends and finished the whole session basically when they were only half way through their first exercise for the day.
I included 10-15min OS warmup, 30min of mobility and another 10-20 easy minutes on the bike so I wouldn't just sit there and wait until they are finished.

@Tirofijo when I ran PTTP, it was quick - 20 mins tops, which included a brief warm-up and 3-5 mins rest between sets (much shorter, in my experience, than easy strength). The only conditioning I did alongside it was swings, and I found I had to keep those to 2-3x a week (and at a relatively light weight), any more and my back felt overworked.

One option to achieve your goals is:
- Daily Dose Deadlift for deadlift. 5 days of 3-5 singles at 75%, and 6th day incrementally higher (80-92%) for 3-5 singles. 6 weeks.
- C&P ladders Rite of Passage style: 3 days a week, 3 ladders to 3 rungs, up to 5 ladders to 5 rungs, with medium day stopping one ring lower, and light day stopping 2 rungs lower.
- 1-2 heavy snatch days (low reps, lots of rest)

DDDL was a 10-minute investment when I ran it.

I haven’t done RoP but I believe it does get up there at the end when the heavy day is 5 ladders to 5 rungs (50 minutes?). The cleans give you the conditioning effect. But assuming you did deadlift and pressing on the same day, it would be up to an hour at the end of the program.

Interesting you suggest this - its pretty much what I'm thinking of for my next cycle (currently halfway through phase 1 of KB Strong for double C&P). My goals are also 1) deadlift (currently 370, goal = 405), 2) C&P (currently doing 2x24 for reps, want to get to 28s for reps, and eventually 40 for a one arm single), 3) snatches (can do ~100 in 5 mins with a 20, want to achieve with 24).

I was thinking either DDD or PTTP for deadlifts (5x week), KB Strong template for double C&P (2x week), and A+A progressing to density oriented snatch sessions (2x week). Easy mobility work most days and a 20-30 minute jog 1-2x week. May alternate blocks of double C&P with single C&P ladders for varieties sake. I know if is hard to train for three goals at once - I'm ok with slower progress (v. if I focused on just one goal at a time) as the variety of training my three favorite lifts probably makes this more sustainable for a longer period. Feels like its a reasonable mix of strength and conditioning.

Any thoughts, especially from folks who may have done something similar? Specifically, would you separate the snatch conditioning sessions from the deadlifts when done on the same day (i.e. one in the am, one in the pm)? I think its probably optimal, but not sure how critical given the relatively low level of volume.

PTTP sessions are so short that you almost have to have a homegym setup...15-20min at most.
For my PTTP cycle I went to the gym with my friends and finished the whole session basically when they were only half way through their first exercise for the day.
I included 10-15min OS warmup, 30min of mobility and another 10-20 easy minutes on the bike so I wouldn't just sit there and wait until they are finished.

Yep.

I think it is really designed around having daily access to a bar and plates at home.

I do the 5+5 variant and even allowing for warm-up and a bit of messing about it usually takes me 20 minutes or so. Then I'll do some other stuff (grip work or KBs).

It feels laughably easy at times but I'm making solid progress.

If you have the room, one thing I did while doing DDD+PTTP was leaving the bar loaded in the rack/on the floor.

Yes, I did DDD for deadlifts and completed a PTTP bench run while I was doing it to good results.

I was doing S & S for awhile but tweaked my biceps, which was aggravated with swings,
so I dropped the swings and replaced them with DDD.

I have been doing DDD with S & S TGU for the past two months with some jump rope sessions
2-3 times a week to keep up the conditioning. I have been really enjoying this combination but since I haven't seen this workout mentioned here before I wonder if this combination is a good routine to follow.

The biceps seems to have healed so I probably will resume S & S once I finish this cycle of DDD.

Hoping for some input from some of the more knowledgeable on the forum.

thanks

I have been really enjoying this combination but since I haven't seen this workout mentioned here before I wonder if this combination is a good routine to follow.

If you enjoy it, make progress and don't experience any injury, it's a good routine to follow in my book. People may have suggestions to "improve it", and you can certainly take them, but if they reduce your enjoyment or increase your risk of injury, an eventual increase in progress rate may not be worth the trade off.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom