all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Russian Kettlebell Challenge video

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MicahK

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi guys, I've recently watched the Russian Kettlebell Challenge video and am curious as to why the movements looked so different back then. I mean, if you were to perform a kettlebell swing the way it's shown in the beginning of the video, half the population of the internet would rain down a torrent of ridicule and correction upon your head. And when you compare the clean and the snatch to what's being taught today, the same corrective ridicule would apply. And yet, this is how kettlebells were first introduced to us, and Pavel's strength and ability are beyond question in this video. He's putting up some pretty impressive weight with relative ease.

So what changed between then and now? Are these movements still considered acceptable? Safe?

Apologies if this has been covered before, I didn't see anything when I searched.

Thank you Harald, and good morning!

I guess that's the thing that confuses me. So much of what we focus on today is about getting back to the the strength training programs used by legendary strongmen of the past. This is how Pavel was using kettlebells back then, so it's safe to assume this is how he was trained (or taught himself), and his performance is absolutely beastly. I mean, that snatch from standing on blocks?! Unbelievably impressive. It seems like so much more of the body was used back then, whereas today the primary focus is the hip hinge and very little else. (My assessment may be totally off, I'm still a newbie and have been up since 3am caring for my babies :) )

If it was good for us then, why is it bad for us now?

If we look at the instructor manual and testing standards for swing, snatch and everything else, techniques are very detailed. Focus may be leaned towards hinge movement because fixing this aspect leads to basis for other details.

There is history that's worth understanding - when the kettlebell appeared here on the American scene with Pavel, it was new, and Pavel introduced us to it in all its variety. As time went on, the difference between strength training and girevoy sport became apparent to us all, and our focus on strength sharpened and deepened.

I oversimplify but you get the idea.

-S-

@Steve Freides Thanks Steve, I've read your story and appreciate all the help you provide. Your comments are always helpful and informative. As someone who's been with Pavel for so many years, and a pillar with StrongFirst, you may tire of answering the same questions over and over whenever someone new shows up. I'm that new someone, and I'm very passionate about kettlebells, so please bear with me :)

I too suffered a bad back injury ten years ago, followed by severe bursitis in both shoulders. Eventually I developed a mild case of frozen shoulder in each, which has gotten much better since I started training with kettlebells. Like you, I was determined to get my strength and mobility back, and do whatever it takes to ensure I never lose them again.

That's why I'm so curious as to the changes that were made over the years. I don't want to miss out on something that helped Pavel in the beginning.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom