all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A good swing program to improved deadlifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pats

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello everyone,

I've been get more and serious with my deadlifting recently and I wanted to add swings to my program.

What I'm currently doing is deadlifting twice a week, 3,3,2,2 (75%) and 5x2 (80%) deloading cycling back every 4 weeks.

I wanted to add swings the day after the deadlift but I need a good swing program. I was thinking of the swing part of S&S but the kettlebells only go up to 24 kg in my gym.

I have access to 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24kg kbs.

In the kettlebells-and-deadlifts-go-together-like-vodka-and-pickles article, Pavel only mentions a swing volume of 100-150 reps 3 times every 2 weeks but I wanted something more detailed.

Anyone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

There are several programs that do exactly what you're asking about on our blog, including the one you mention. What further specific questions do you have? What's your DL 1RM and/or what weights are you using for 75/80%?

Please post a link to the original blog post in your reply.

Thanks.

-S-

can you double the bells ?
Go with 20 reps sets for two arm swings , 10 reps with two bells swings for example, do you have double bells of each of sizes you have mentioned?
Also its ok to stay with one size for longer, focus on technique, work on single arm swing
Rep schemes :
10x10
5 x 10 per arm
5 x 20 ( you could start with 3 x 20, 4x20 etc)
5 week progression :
10x10
11x10
12x10
13x10
etc. that's the easiest way, then you compress your rest periods and work over from 100
Possibilities :
->eccentric swings sets of 10 until 100
-> double kb swings 5x10, add set of 5 each weak (so week 1 - 5x10, week 2 - 5x10 , 1x5, week 3 - 6x10 etc, can be done with single bell )

;)

Unfortunately, no double kbs, only one of each.

So just up the volume over time and compress the rest periods, focusing on technique.

I was just worried that relatively "light" swings will stop helping my deadlift as I move more into the endurance spectrum instead of explosive strength.

@MattM, not a bad idea, I should start looking where I can find bands, thx !

Last edited:
You can swing a pair of mismatched kettlebells, and/or you can throw the bell back some to make it more explosive.

Reps can be tweaked depending on rest periods, e.g., a single set of 10 isn't all that different from two sets of 5 on a short rest. I would be loose about the reps - try 10's, sometimes try more, sometimes swing doubles for 5 reps.

-S-

@Steve Freides
Mmmmm? How 'mismatched' are we talking about here Steve? I'll admit I had never given it any thought. Do you think a 16/24 combo would be realistic?

I'll work my way to 1h kb swings with the 24 and work to perfect my technique with overspeed eccentrics before I'll try with the pair of mismatched kettlebells, thx guys!

@Steve Freides What do you think the limit is for mismatched bells for ballistic exercises? 4kg, 8kg? I can't imagine a very effective session (for me) swinging a 24 and 32. I feel that I would be all over the place and my timing would be junk.

I feel that for grinds the difference can be much greater. I have front squatted a 40 and 26 before, what a grind. Literally.

If you can swing with 24 kg in one hand and zero in the other, there's no reason you can't swing mismatched bells - the difference will be less.

Pavel's "Return of the Kettlebell" does a lot with mismatches bells.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom