all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Kettlebell Callous

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
I remember the pain, and tenderness of the kettlebell resting on the forearm while first training get ups, and presses. Then pretty soon it does not hurt as much any more, and you develop that weird little bump on your forearm. Now that bump is quite pronounced, and devoid of any hind of pain anymore. I could probably stop a bullet with it after racking, and get ups my 64kg bell for a while now.

Isn't it amazing how adaptable the human body is? Not just good adaptations, but some bad as well.

Last edited:
Hmm, this got me thinking about Donnie thompsons Body Tempering. (Imagine a foam roller made of solid steel, that you don't roll on, but someone rolls over you.) If you listen to other people talk about it, it is a superior version of foam rolling that allows you to focus on relaxing the muscles. But I've heard Donnie describe it on several podcasts and he describes it more as an external load that your tissues have to get stronger to support passively. Sounds a lot like this very local Kettlebells adaptation.

While reading this, I ran my fingers along my forearms. Its been years since that spot was sore and I'd kind of forgotten about it. I have bumps there too.... I never even noticed them before. Funny...!

@TravisDirks I think I have seen Body Tempering before. He has heavy chunks of steel he rolls over himself? Very unrealistic, who I the real world could physically, or financially do that?

Try rolling on a piece of 4" PVC or ABS plastic pipe, the kind they use for water and electrical, it will bring a whole new meaning to body tempering. It will really test your pain threshold, mental fortitude, and breathing.

I did a few TGU's and presses today and I noticed a little red patch on each arm where the bell sits. I don't normally pay any attention to it but after reading this thread the other day I thought I'd have a look for any signs of wear & tear and noticed them. That was about an hour ago and the redness has gone now and there's no tenderness or indications that it will turn into a bruise like it did when I first started with kettlebells.

I do remember the forearm pain when I first started but I don't get any of that now. I've been doing a bit of snatching lately too and I tend to throw it up a bit hard on the first few reps and punch through a bit too hard too. I don't seem to have much of bump there though.

@Geoff Chafe My kids have been doing Karate and using me for a sparring partner/punching bag lately and there's been quite a few times where they've hit me with fists or feet on that area and hurt their hands or feet. It certainly toughens the forearms better than other forms of weight training.

My knees have been feeling great. I cannot remember the last time I had knee pain. It may be a combination of things, but the Get Up helps.

Could the Get Up make the knees toughen up, and adapt? Could that be a benefit of the Get Up?

The down knee is supporting most of your weight, plus the added load. I wonder if loading the down knee over, and over like that may adapt the knee to be more resilient, just as the forearm does from supporting weight. The skin on my knees definitely is tougher, maybe the knee is as well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom