all posts post new thread

Barbell 40 day strength program 3 days per week?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

geologist

Level 4 Valued Member
Can the 40 day strength program be effectively done 3 days per week or is that to little? To further elaborate on my goals, right now my focus is on building strength, but my time is limited due to career, family/child, and continuing education. thanks.

From experience with 40 day / Easy Strength sorts of programmes, 3pw will effectively maintain strength, or perhaps edge it up slightly if technique was your limitation. 5pw will build strength.

Maintaining strength while pushing ahead with career, family and education is pretty good and certainly nothing to be disappointed with.

From experience with 40 day / Easy Strength sorts of programmes, 3pw will effectively maintain strength, or perhaps edge it up slightly if technique was your limitation. 5pw will build strength.

Maintaining strength while pushing ahead with career, family and education is pretty good and certainly nothing to be disappointed with.

I figured that after doing some more reading. I like the anytime anywhere strength program (The Anytime, Anywhere Bodyweight-Only Strength Program - StrongFirst), but I'm not quite strong enough to do it, so I'm going to construct something along the lines of:
workout A:
heavy lower: one leg squat
medium pull: pull-ups
light push: diamond push-ups

workout B:
heavy push: weighted dips
medium lower: rear foot elevated split squats
light pull: dumbbell rows

workout C:
heavy pull: weighted pull-ups
medium push: dumbbell overhead press
light lower: kettlebell swings

I wouldn't f*** around with things like one-legged squats, or 3-way split routines. You've got limited time, some weeks you'll miss one of the workouts, another week you'll get 4 in, what then? You need bang for your buck. This means loading you up and doing just a few reps in a few sets. You need a pair of kettlebells, or better a barbell and plate set.

For example, clean & front squat & press (or push press or jerk), do 3 sets of 3 each day. That would cover you. Toss in some pullups in between each set. If using kettlebells, farmer's walk them around the gym at the beginning and end of each workout, or if you're really masochistic between each set of cl&fsq&ohp.

I wouldn't f*** around with things like one-legged squats, or 3-way split routines. You've got limited time, some weeks you'll miss one of the workouts, another week you'll get 4 in, what then? You need bang for your buck. This means loading you up and doing just a few reps in a few sets. You need a pair of kettlebells, or better a barbell and plate set.

For example, clean & front squat & press (or push press or jerk), do 3 sets of 3 each day. That would cover you. Toss in some pullups in between each set. If using kettlebells, farmer's walk them around the gym at the beginning and end of each workout, or if you're really masochistic between each set of cl&fsq&ohp.

I don't have a gym membership at the moment, I train at home (or a park). Currently I have an adjustable kettlebell (20-50 lbs), adjustable dumbbells, pull-up bar, dip bars, rings, and a weighted vest up to 40 lbs. What routine would you suggest?

Do this just about every day.

Double dumbbell
clean, followed by
front squat, followed by
press - or if it's too heavy, push press - or if it's too heavy, jerk
That is one rep. Do 3x3.
If you feel you need more butt and back work, then do 3 cleans, on the 3rd clean rack it and do 2 front squats, after the 2nd front squat do 1 press.
But generally I recommend just 3x3 for all of them together.

Before you start do 1+ pullups. Between each set do 1+ pullups. At the end do 1+ pullups.

At the start and finish of the workout, do a farmer's walk with those dumbbells.

If you feel the need for some cardio, do 20 kettlebell swings. Rest for about 30 seconds. Start with 3 rounds of that, build to 10 rounds - which would be 10 minutes.

Do that for 6 weeks, 5 days a week. Then reassess.

I don't have a gym membership at the moment, I train at home (or a park). Currently I have an adjustable kettlebell (20-50 lbs), adjustable dumbbells, pull-up bar, dip bars, rings, and a weighted vest up to 40 lbs. What routine would you suggest?
There are a number of excellent, simple programs in our blog you could follow.

-S-

Hello,

If you have very little time, you can look at programs like S&S or ETK (with kettlebell).

Nevertheless, the program underlined by @geologist is also terrific and only requires a pull up bar. If time is almost the only constraint you have, use GTG with any move you want. You will gain strength quite fast

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom