all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hello from Calgary

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Peter

Level 4 Valued Member
Love this forum and a big thanks to all who take the time to post. I am 55 years old and just recently retired from 30 years of teaching (semi retired actually). I am 6'1" and 185 lbs. Resting HR in the low 50's. Past athletic endeavours include university football, some recreational hockey, biking and occasional lifting. About 5 years ago at the age of 50 my son and I joined a karate dojo. It reenergized me and motivated me to bring up my level of fitness. He has since gone on to other endeavours while I am currently a brown belt with my eyes on grading for a black belt this year. Shortly after I started karate I got back to the gym.

About three years ago I discovered kettlebells and received some one on one instruction from a certified Agatsu trainer. A year ago while on vacation in beautiful Carpinteria, California discovered Simple and Sinister and Strong First and the rest is history as they say. I have received about 2 hours of instruction from a SFG level 1 instructor. Currently I am integrating a 28 kg bell into my one hand swings and 24 kg bell into my TGU. At the end of my S&S session I will do some combination of Hardstyle Abs and exercises from the document Enter the Kettlebell Special Report #2 - usually single leg dead lifts and Russian twists. I also work on my cleans technique. I have read and am thrilled to finally do a full pistol on my left leg but the right leg lags behind. I will do pistols on occasion but must admit that I am not very consistent with them.

Goals: black belt and beyond, side splits to the ground, Simple standard and from there ROP from Enter the Kettlebell, injury free (so far nothing major), pistol squat both sides.

Training: karate 1.5 hours 3x per week formal sessions plus on my own, S&S 3-4x per week. Mobility work (from Flexible Steel).

Questions:
1. Would there be any benefit to integrating a long run or bike ride in the MAF heart rate aerobic zone (for me 125-130) 2-3 X per week? These would be my retired days (as opposed to my semiretired days )
2. I have a HR monitor and have used it in my S&S sessions. Just to be clear when doing a swing test the goal is 100 in 5 minutes ignoring heart rate but evaluating based on one's ability to maintain form and power and not coughing up a lung?
3. Am I overtraining? My S&S sessions take about an hour with the extras.
4. Further to overtraining would there be anything wrong with doing a S&S session the morning of a karate day?
5. Anybody have experience with ETK special report # 2?

Again, thanks to all for taking the time to contribute to this forum. It is one thing to have the knowledge but it is another to be willing to share it.

Peter

Lots of questions... I'm sure many folks will weigh in. My comments....
1. I do exactly that. 3 runs per week. (4 if I am training for a running event) mostly MAF (again, unless training for an event)
2. I don't really do the tests. I try to stay MAF however in swings.
3. Overtraining? What is your body telling you? Seems like you are doing a lot, but if you are not 'under-recovering' and you feel and perform okay you should be okay. (Sleep, nutrition, hydration)
4. I suppose it depends upon your karate practice. What style do you and your son study? Some ryu are 'softer' than others... Some include a lot of conditioning as a part of practice; others expect you to take care of conditioning on your own time...
5. No comment...

Welcome to the forum.

p.s. (I was born in Calgary)

Hello and welcome!

1. It depends. :) Personally, I do not include slow aerobics in my training, but I walk a lot every day, and still have a resting HR below 50. I guess all the walking counts as aerobic activity. Maybe try once a week, assess how you feel and see any consequence (bad or good) on your other activities before adding (or not) another session. I would rather follow the programme until the Simple standard before adding anything, though. Your karate practice already takes care of your conditioning, and your resting HR is reflecting that.

2. Yes. When testing, you assess if you can do the 10 sets in 5 minutes (approximately 1-1 work/rest period), and if you could do it almost every day (so indeed, you should not cough up a lung). The usual training is up to you. I also liked the HR monitor, waiting to reach a certain level before starting the next set, with no look at the clock.

3. The duration of your training does not indicate over or under training. The lack of recovery does. It is pretty hard to assess over the internet. If you feel good, your mood is good, you sleep well, and feel energized, you probably are not over-trained. But again, S&S is a minimalist program, and you do not really need to add anything to it until you reach a certain standard. You could keep the sessions shorter and still get the benefits.

4. Nothing wrong., if you can handle it (see above). Experiment, but not everything at once (adding the S&S session and the run/biking at the same time will make it hard to assess what works or not). S&S done properly should not take away energy for your other practice. Do not forget the light day options. You do not have to (should not) push to the limit every day.

5. No.

Peter, Hello and Welcome!

Yes, this forum is a great example of the Margaret Fuller quote: “If you have knowledge , let others light their candles in it.”

On your questions, I'll caveat that this may not be knowledge so much as my opinion, but I'll offer it:

1. Yes! Just start with a very moderate amount and build up your mileage slowly, maybe 10% per week. 3x per week may be a bit much if you're still doing "karate 1.5 hours 3x per week formal sessions plus on my own, S&S 3-4x per week", but, maybe not. In any case, I think a run or bike ride at MAF HR is great for your aerobic health, which seems to be good already.
2. Yes. +1 to jef's answer above.
3. Agree with offwidth and jef. You're probably fine. If your S&S sessions take an hour, you may actually be less likely to be overtraining as you would be if you were rushing the same work into 30-40 minutes every session.
4. Agree with offwidth and jef.
5. No

If you feel that benefited from your time with the SFG instructor, I'd encourage you to go back periodically, as there is always so much more to learn (and maybe corrections to be made). It will always be worth your while.

And, congratulations on your retirement! What did you teach?

Again, thanks to all for taking the time to contribute to this forum. It is one thing to have the knowledge but it is another to be willing to share it.
That's very nice of you to take the time to say, @Peter - welcome to StrongFirst!

1. Would there be any benefit to integrating a long run or bike ride in the MAF heart rate aerobic zone (for me 125-130) 2-3 X per week?
I don't think so, and it's possible it could add up, with everything else you're already doing, to overtraining. However, if you're curious, there's no harm done in giving it a try for a few weeks and seeing how it makes you feel, IMHO.

Are you overtraining now? It doesn't sound like it, except that since you're asking the question, perhaps that means you're nearing that boundary for yourself.

Goals: black belt and beyond, side splits to the ground,
Master SFG Jon Engum created a program called Flexible Steel . I teach in this program and highly recommend you take the one-day workshop we offer.

I guess all the walking counts as aerobic activity.
It counts - as walking. :) I've taken my pulse a few times during a walk, and I'm usually around 100 bpm. Not quite up to my MAF aerobic zone but it is roughly twice my resting pulse and I feel like it benefits me in many ways so I intend to keep doing it.

this forum is a great example of the Margaret Fuller quote: “If you have knowledge , let others light their candles in it.”
Well, that is a lovely thing to say - I'm so glad to hear you feel that way, @Anna C.

If you feel that benefited from your time with the SFG instructor, I'd encourage you to go back periodically, as there is always so much more to learn (and maybe corrections to be made). It will always be worth your while.
Absolutely! This is something so many students of strength don't understand - we are in this for a lifetime, and just as a piano student doesn't stop taking lessons just because they've progressed to a certain level, neither should students of strength. To say the same thing but perhaps a little more directly, just because you think you understand what you're supposed to do doesn't mean you do, and also doesn't mean you're doing it, nor does it mean you will eventually figure out how to do it yourself.

-S-

@Peter What are the "extras" in your S&S sessions?
At least every second session I will do two or three sets of: single leg dead lifts @ 24 kg X 5 and Russian kettlebell twists @ 16 kg X 20 as well as working on cleans technique with 16 and 20 kg. I will finish with some sort of ab work: Hardstyle abs/evil wheel.

Peter, Hello and Welcome!

Yes, this forum is a great example of the Margaret Fuller quote: “If you have knowledge , let others light their candles in it.”

On your questions, I'll caveat that this may not be knowledge so much as my opinion, but I'll offer it:

1. Yes! Just start with a very moderate amount and build up your mileage slowly, maybe 10% per week. 3x per week may be a bit much if you're still doing "karate 1.5 hours 3x per week formal sessions plus on my own, S&S 3-4x per week", but, maybe not. In any case, I think a run or bike ride at MAF HR is great for your aerobic health, which seems to be good already.
2. Yes. +1 to jef's answer above.
3. Agree with offwidth and jef. You're probably fine. If your S&S sessions take an hour, you may actually be less likely to be overtraining as you would be if you were rushing the same work into 30-40 minutes every session.
4. Agree with offwidth and jef.
5. No

And, congratulations on your retirement! What did you teach?
Chemistry. Working with an SFG instructor was fantastic. Yes, I plan on going back. It would be great to do the one day course and then ultimately the three day certification. Baby steps!

That's very nice of you to take the time to say, @Peter - welcome to StrongFirst!

I don't think so, and it's possible it could add up, with everything else you're already doing, to overtraining. However, if you're curious, there's no harm done in giving it a try for a few weeks and seeing how it makes you feel, IMHO.

Are you overtraining now? It doesn't sound like it, except that since you're asking the question, perhaps that means you're nearing that boundary for yourself.

Master SFG Jon Engum created a program called Flexible Steel . I teach in this program and highly recommend you take the one-day workshop we offer.

It counts - as walking. :) I've taken my pulse a few times during a walk, and I'm usually around 100 bpm. Not quite up to my MAF aerobic zone but it is roughly twice my resting pulse and I feel like it benefits me in many ways so I intend to keep doing it.

Well, that is a lovely thing to say - I'm so glad to hear you feel that way, @Anna C.

Absolutely! This is something so many students of strength don't understand - we are in this for a lifetime, and just as a piano student doesn't stop taking lessons just because they've progressed to a certain level, neither should students of strength. To say the same thing but perhaps a little more directly, just because you think you understand what you're supposed to do doesn't mean you do, and also doesn't mean you're doing it, nor does it mean you will eventually figure out how to do it yourself.

-S-
"Just because you think you understand what you're supposed to do doesn't mean you do". Love this quote. I will share this with my Sensei. The need for feedback.

"Just because you think you understand what you're supposed to do doesn't mean you do". Love this quote. I will share this with my Sensei. The need for feedback.
I have learned this lesson as a student the hard way and more than once.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom