all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Recommendations on training for a GoRuck Heavy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

tex0585

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello all,

I am just looking for tips/advice on preparing for a GoRuck Heavy. I am following S&S with the 32kg bell right now. I plan on using simple and sinister as my only kb program throughout the preparation. Other than S&S, I will mix in various loaded carries ( after S&S is complete for the day) and I add pull-ups /bottoms up presses in my warm up for S&S. I only complete 2 sets of five reps on these two lifts. Sometimes I use body weight and sometimes I ad weight for the pull-up-ups. I'm using the 24kg for the BUP. I'm really just looking for ways to add rucking and maybe some running into this plan. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

John

I recommend checking F3Nation.com and seeing whether there are any workouts near you. These are free, peer-led, men only workouts that focus primarily on bootcamp-style workouts. While I personally haven't completed a GoRuck event, I train with many guys who have, including the Heavy at Ft Bragg. Our bootcamp workouts provide a great foundation for the events, which they will often complete with weighted rucks. From there, they get in a lot of long rucks. Check out TeamSpearhead.com, which was started by some of my peers, specifically for ruck training, and they have a lot of info there. Plus, the GoRuck site has training info as well.
It sounds like you have plenty of strength. You just need time under ruck and the cardio aspect for the long duration of the event.
Good luck!

Hello all,

I am just looking for tips/advice on preparing for a GoRuck Heavy. I am following S&S with the 32kg bell right now. I plan on using simple and sinister as my only kb program throughout the preparation. Other than S&S, I will mix in various loaded carries ( after S&S is complete for the day) and I add pull-ups /bottoms up presses in my warm up for S&S. I only complete 2 sets of five reps on these two lifts. Sometimes I use body weight and sometimes I ad weight for the pull-up-ups. I'm using the 24kg for the BUP. I'm really just looking for ways to add rucking and maybe some running into this plan. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

John
Well... Not to sound too simplistic... Put on a pack and start moving. Full disclosure...I really have no idea about these GoRuck and similar events. But I have schlepped heavy packs up and down rugged mountainous terrain for the past 40 years (including some military). Training should be preparation for the real thing. I love S&S, and pull-ups and such; and enjoy their huge value as GPP. But when I'm training for a climb there is nothing like putting on a pack and going. I'm sure as High Tide said there are some good online resources out there.

For those of us who are perpetually lazy, does anyone manufacture a rucksack that simply loads either ordinary or custom plates so we can simply load it and go?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom