all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Czech get up"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm blown away by the details contained in this article.

Consider myself to be a smart guy that would have to go over this article many times and probably still not understand critical portions of it.

Makes me appreciate Pavel's brilliance (with Karen's pictures) in S&S at breaking a series of complex movements down to what someone like me can understand.

This is why I like S&S as much as I do.

I've had the pleasure of taking a DNS course with one of the authors (Michael Rintala, extremely educated and genuinely helpful man) and we went through something similar, but without the kettlebell. That sequence is somewhat similar from 3 month supine, up to half sidelying, but instead of going to half kneeling goes over to 4 point position to bear position then squat to stand. The DNS crew calls it a "flow" that is a great warmup - I find that it shares some similarities with the OS warmup, but follows the developmental sequence to greater precision and has more true flow to it than OS does. The general ideas from that flow are similar to that of the get-up described here in that the ISSS is activated throughout and centration of the hip, shoulder, and ideal loading on the feet and hand is maintained throughout. It is actually ridiculously hard to do.

After doing the course it made me realize how different phases of my KB get up (as detailed in Pavel's works) were not truly maintaining ideal patterning between. The one thing I love about DNS is that it constantly reinforces the importance of the diaphragm as a dual muscle - breath and postural - and maintaining this dual responsibility through movement, constantly performing checks and balances in each position. Very intensive form of exercise and the clinician needs to be well versed and attentive but the limits are sky high.

It would be interesting to do the get up like that, I will give it a shot soon. I do the flow sequence I described sometimes and knowing how hard it is can only imagine doing this kettlebell version.

i posted is as something interesting :) but it is similar enough in my mind to get the benefits from SFG getup :)

@rickyw, thanks for posting. Some interesting alternative movements there. I dunno, is that the 'same but different' or 'different'? Anyway, taking that one for a spin later. Thanks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom