all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Assistance Needed

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rambro1*

Level 4 Valued Member
To anyone willing to help,

I injured my left hand during a breaching training yesterday, and am now nursing some stitched up wounds. Needless to say I am not going to be doing much gripping with that hand for awhile, but I want to stay operationally fit. Looking for ideas/input on some programming during my recuperation. I have been leaning toward running/hiking coupled with some squats, lunges, and tension training (RKC plank, body saws, etc.), but am not sure how I will put it all together at this point. I will come up with something regardless, but figured I would take a shot that someone from this very knowledgeable community has some ideas to help set my direction. Thanks in advance for any assistance, and to all of you who are always helping to improve the community as a whole.

Strength and Honor,
Justin

How long the Docs say you going to be out for?
Just surface cuts or did you do deep damage to tendons and such?
Operational fit for what kind of duty (if you can say)

Thanks for the replies.

Dr gave no time frame, but by how it feels, I know it's gonna be awhile.

Deep lacerations. No tendon or ligament damage, but definitely no kettlebells or bar work any time soon.

Law enforcement tactical team.

Definitely along the lines of what I was thinking. Just trying to figure out some sort of programming to follow.

I use a technique for training around injuries that is based on sanchin or iron shirt techniques. I've had more injuries than anyone I've ever met, so the dynamic tension techniques were contrived in an attempt to retain my sanity. I really feel like something important is lacking if I can't lift.

To just maintain strength all you need is to do are unweighted simulations of lifts. I just use full muscular contractions through the full range of the movement. It sounds almost ridiculous but if you do correctly it can be surprisingly intense. 8 -10 minutes of sanchin kata with full breath control can be one of the most intense workouts possible. The better you get at it the harder it gets.

Even tai chi movements done under dynamic tension with moderate levels of breath control can be a surprisingly intense workout.

If you emulate the lifts you do now and use dynamic tension in place of weights you should retain almost all of your strength until your hand heals and you can use weights again. If you GTG a big pull and a big push you may even gain some strength. There's no need for the full valsalva maneuver but some level of abdominal tension and breath control certainly helps.

One word of warning though, if you do attempt anything like this keeping your butt puckered and cheeks clenched is highly recommended, some would say essential. If you get good at sanchin it's entirely possible to pop something out of the rear end.

Thanks for the replies.

I definitely agree with the effectiveness of tension training, and will give that a try.

I have a plate carrier, which I do train with on a regular basis. Very important part of my training.

I have somehow avoided ever having an injury that kept me from doing any upper body movements, so I am feeling like a fish out of water currently.

That would be nice. In my quest to be more of a minimalist (what led me to Strongfirst in first place) I got rid of everything except my kettlebells. It has served me well, and allowed me to keep up with all the young guys with minimal gym time. Alas, I have found myself in this predicament, scratching my head thinking of what to do without my kb's and Naked Warrior gtg. Thanks all for the responses. Gonna do some plate carrier hiking and walking lunges tonight, hoping the lack of upper body work won't set me back.

Honestly, if you're only going to be out of it for a week or two, or even three (I know you didn't give a time frame, so forgive me if my assumption is off), it's probably not a big deal. Strength lasts, and although I would be sad if I couldn't do swings, you can still maintain your conditioning without using your hands. Treat it like a chance to get creative and switch gears for a while (it looks like you are), and don't sweat it too much. It's not uncommon for people to take a break from something and come back even better, so you might be surprised.

I would recommend belted swings to keep conditioning and of course runs.
As for other strength work..... pistols, single leg DLs (bodyweight and slow still can have great carryover) Planks, hardstyle sit backs are all great options.

best of luck and prayers for quick healing. If you still have questions on how to put it all together in a weekly program and not effect your work, feel free to email me Karen.smith@strongfirst.com

To anyone willing to help,

I injured my left hand during a breaching training yesterday, and am now nursing some stitched up wounds. Needless to say I am not going to be doing much gripping with that hand for awhile, but I want to stay operationally fit. Looking for ideas/input on some programming during my recuperation. I have been leaning toward running/hiking coupled with some squats, lunges, and tension training (RKC plank, body saws, etc.), but am not sure how I will put it all together at this point. I will come up with something regardless, but figured I would take a shot that someone from this very knowledgeable community has some ideas to help set my direction. Thanks in advance for any assistance, and to all of you who are always helping to improve the community as a whole.

Strength and Honor,
Justin
Put your lower body to use now. Do some cardio, abs and everything you can do with your hand. Consult with your doctor once again and do everything that you can.

Thanks to all of you for the replies. Awesome to hear from so many knowledgeable people. Sage advice. I did the hike and walking lunges...and am paying for it big time. Guess I will have to either do those more often, or not so hard. I can barely squat today. Lol.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom