all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 2h swing form

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Rockatansky,
You are doing a lot of things right. Your hinge and back position are very good.

The biggest thing to work on the timing on your down swing. You are moving your hips back too early, which leaves your arms hanging too far in front and allows the bell to drop too low between your knees.

Delay your hinge until your upper arms come down futher and make contact with your torso ("play chicken with the bell"). This will keep the bell higher in the triangle between your groin and knees, and getting your arms locked down to your torso will help transfer power from the bell to your hips.

On the upswing, focus on driving with your hips while your arms are locked down to your torso and then allow the bell to float up as your reach full extension of your hips and knees. Don't pull with your arms or think of driving your shoulders back, just focus on driving with the hips; the arms are just passive chains holding onto the bell.

Refining your timing will give your swing a lot more power.

Finally, you have a lot of movement in your head, and your neck is flexed forward at the top. I do like to see some extension at the the bottom (some people advocate a more neutral head postion throughout), but yours is a little more dramatic and with your chin thrust more forward then I would prefer. Experiment to find the head and eye position that is most comfortable and powerful for you, but stand tall at the top with the crown of your head to the ceiling.

Hope this helps.

Steve W.,
Thanks for your comments!

I will try and delay hinge more, I feel like I'm struggling with everything to remember while swinging.

Are my shoulders just depressed for the entire swing or depressed and retracted?

I think my neck is from bad posture and desk patrol I will try and focus more on that.

@Rockatansky,
Yes, it is hard to focus on more than one thing at a time -- so focus on one thing at a time.

First: Delay hinge.

Second: Stand tall at top (crown of head to ceiling, "find vertical," "plank up," no lumbar hyperextension).

I agree with Steve's assessment, and I think a heavier weight will be instructive. You seem to be ready for it. Good work!

Yes! Looks much better. Your power transfer is better, hip hinge looks great, you are moving much better from hinge to plank.

Keep moving in that direction. It helps to think of the swing in 4 steps, like @Pavel Macek says in his training log here :

Most people do the swing wrong because they think it is a 2 count movement:

1 - down (= evading to soon, which leads to all kind of troubles like the weight pulling you forward, ending too low between the legs etc.)
2 - up (= lifting with the hands)

Think of the swing as 4 count movement (let's start form the top):

1 - bell is falling, you wait in the plank
2 - you evade and hinge when the arms touch the body and the bell almost hits you in the groin.
3 - you explosively reverse the movement and come back to plank.
4 - bell flies forward.

1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom