all posts post new thread

Kettlebell KB Swings and herniated disc ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andrej SK

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi colleagues, let me ask you about your opinion or experience. I struggle with short but intense feelings of pain in my lower back after i bent forward (e.g dressing my children) and then trying to get back straight again...this is possibly due to a disfunction called Herniated Disc which can be also developed due to wrong sitting habits. I would like to know if doing Swings (as this is the part of all my workouts) is likely to emphasize and increase that problem or would it help my problem in a long run ?

Thank you for your opinions and experience

Hi colleagues, let me ask you about your opinion or experience. I struggle with short but intense feelings of pain in my lower back after i bent forward (e.g dressing my children) and then trying to get back straight again...this is possibly due to a disfunction called Herniated Disc which can be also developed due to wrong sitting habits. I would like to know if doing Swings (as this is the part of all my workouts) is likely to emphasize and increase that problem or would it help my problem in a long run ?

I think the number one thing people may tell you is to seek a qualified professional medical opinion, and then go from there

For a person without any dysfunctions/old injuries etc. who swings with good technique, the swing will strengthen that area and make him/her more bulletproof against injuries like herniated discs.
But...
I think the number one thing people may tell you is to seek a qualified professional medical opinion, and then go from there
Seek professional medical advise first.

... This is possibly due to a disfunction called Herniated Disc which can be also developed due to wrong sitting habits.
"Possibly" is the key word here - you need a medical diagnosis.

I would like to know if doing Swings (as this is the part of all my workouts) is likely to emphasize and increase that problem or would it help my problem in a long run.
The details of what you do and how you do it are important.

If your doctor OK's you to do swings, and if you have good swing technique, and if you practice at first with a moderate weight and low volume and gradually build up from there, you should be OK.

After you've seen your doctor, I highly recommend the book "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie. The exercises he prescribes have become standard physical and physio therapy for many lower back issues.

-S-

I blew out my L5-S1 on 7/14...two years later, I'm as strong as I've ever been..

Depending on which herniation you have (anterior or posterior) perform Mckenzie press ups 5-8 reps for 5-8 sets throughout the day..
Walk as much as possible, it's great for your lower back and recycles the lack of blood flow to the area; also stretch the hammies.

My PT had me do "core" exercises for a couple weeks/months. From their I would suggest that you build your Posterior chain with RDLs (as light as a broom stick) or goodmornings.
Once that's comfortable try two hand swings or the equivalent.

Good luck,
btw this is what worked for ME. Your story may be different. I'm not a certified trainer; however, I have been lifting for over 15 years and know this worked for me.

Depending on which herniation you have (anterior or posterior)
@GDove, welcome to StrongFirst.

There are other kinds of disc herniation, for what it's worth. Mine is lateral, so neither anterior nor posterior. The McKenzie exercise you mention is discussed on the book I recommended, and I first learned it from my physical therapist. It was also very helpful to me.

-S-

After you've seen your doctor, I highly recommend the book "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie. The exercises he prescribes have become standard physical and physio therapy for many lower back issues.
McKenzie saved my life and that is pretty close to literal. I had sciatic nerve pain (perhaps from mildly herniated disk?) for about 13 years. For the last 3 or so I would rate on 1-10 pain scale as living between 7 and 13; I sort of half slept in a recliner chair because I could not lie down comfortably, nor sit, and not really stand either. I also was doing some Pilates floor work w/ a PT at the time which did help some but I feel I must give the McKenzie work top billing. IF you have stenosis then will likely worsen the problem which is one of many reasons a good diagnosis is first mandatory step. But after that definitely McKenzie, a few minutes 8-10 times a day!

My PT had me doing a set of 10 McKenzie press-ups every hour, on the hour for as long as I was awake. GTG, baby! :) I also took to reading in that position, propped up on my elbows.

-S

Steve, that was me too, reading, television, hanging out talking to wife etc. Also doing the fists in lumbar standing back bends every 45-60 minutes on automobile trips and depending on terrain even getting right down and doing the press-ups. Very rapid results!

+1 to all pre posters.
Robin McKenzie's work single handedly brought me back from a dibilitating L5-S1 compression. I'm talking to the point where moving more than few steps doubled me over in pain.

Sir, what I have to say on this: a few exercises here or there will not fix the problem IF your problem is posture. Everyday, all the time, posture.

"7 steps to a pain free life". It is worth your time and money.
Stuart McGill as well has some great material, both on YouTube and as books.

Good luck, and stay strong.

I struggle with short but intense feelings of pain in my lower back after i bent forward (e.g dressing my children) and then trying to get back straight again...this is possibly due to a disfunction called Herniated Disc

If you have a true disc herniation that is the cause of your pain, McKenzie extensions may likely be helpful. Not everybody with back pain has disc problems, even those with pain upon flexion. If you have a facet joint that is fixated in flexion, McKenzie exercises may be helpful in coaxing it back into extension.

Consider the following-a systematic review in a top dog journal and a PT's take on it:
The McKenzie method for low back pain: a systematic review of the literature with a meta-analysis approach. - PubMed - NCBI
Hard Times for McKenzie Method, Low Back Pain

I am all for a good prone press up when it is indicated and I give them to some of my patients. If you are a square peg (disc herniated or protruded, or flexed facet joint), then you will likely fit well in the square hole (McKenzie extension). But, there are conditions where extension is NOT your best option-spondylolisthesis (definitely not going to help there), facet arthritis, extended facet, etc). It's not a panacea. A good health care professional can guide you as to whether or not it is best for you.

I'll add to the above, do what is needed for your insurance etc to get the MRI. In my case a few weeks of PT first. And then be ready to get a second opinion. You might get a good diagnosis without one but is a big help. The neurosurgeon who has been the most help to me (haven't needed surgery so far) wouldn't even see me without a current MRI.

My lower back pain wound up being misdiagnosed as a herniated disk but was actually (on second opinion) facet arthritis at L4L5S1. Lucky for me I had good insurance or the cost of the useless (to me) lumbar epidural would have had me taking out a loan.

Posture is very important and how you sleep is also crucial. Day to day it helps me tremendously to use good mechanics - for example if I bend over to help the kids I drop my hips into a squat to stand up.

In my case swings have been very helpful, and going deep with my Goblet and front squats seems to have done a lot of good as well, maybe more so.

Good luck!

I have a few disk herniations myself.

My tips
1 Start with a light bell - 16kg max
2 Stop before your form gets sloppy
3 Evaluate the impact that the swings have had on your back over the next 1-12 hours, pain 2 days later is more likely muscular.
4 Respect the iron when picking it up and setting it back down. you can swing with perfect form safely and then relax at the end of set and tweak your back much easier than most people with healthy spines could ever appreciate. Treat it like a 500lb piece of metal any time you touch it.
5 If it aggravates your back injury more than once and you know you've lifted/swung with good form each time (posting a vid here would help verify that you are), be prepared to drop the movement altogether.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom