all posts post new thread

Barbell And 1, and 1, and 1...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

RTBJR

Level 5 Valued Member
This question, may be splitting hairs here.

Deadlifts:
If one was to practice multiple singles, resetting every rep, what is the max time between reps -that it could stil be considered 1 set?

Clarification: in this case, the goal isn't speed of the set-it is to practice a "deadweight" lift with setup multiple times.

What do you think? And do you remember were you learned?

I don't think you can put a specific time on it. When lifting this way I would never want to feel rushed, thinking if I take too much time I've violated some kind of rule.

IMO, as long as you are doing something that could be considered part of setting up, rather than standing there doing nothing, then you are setting up, not resting.

But if you DO happen to stand around for a few seconds doing nothing between reps I promise not to tell anyone ;-).

Weightlifting rule of thumb is no more than 10 seconds between pulls in a set.

@RTBJR, don't get stuck in thinking of only sets and reps. For the deadlift, you can also think of a "set of singles." If you want to read about one approach, look at the Daily Dose thread here and the blog it references. For every way you can arrange your reps and sets, there will be pluses and minuses.

It's quite common to deadlift singles every minute or so and still consider those reps a set - at least in my house.

In my own training, I've done this every way possible, I think. I've done singles where I walk away after each one and come back 5 or 10 minutes later;singles where I go about every minute; singles where I go every :30 or :45; singles where I just stand up, take a breath or two, then do another rep; singles (or not - call it what you like) where I take a new breath at the bottom but don't stand up between reps; touch-and-go where the weight hits the ground hard and stays there for a second or two; touch-and-go where the weight bounces a little; touch-and-go where I lower slowly and just barely touch the ground before heading back up again; and I'm probably leaving out a few variations.

You've stated your goal - make sure you rest enough that each rep is of high quality. All other things being equal, rest more the heavier the weight gets.

-S-

Depends on the time it takes for the lift. I think 2:1 work:rest would be considered the same set. 1:1 or slower and I think you're entering new set territory.

If you keep your hands on the bar it counts as the same set :)
If you are training deadlifts PTTP style, the book says stand up between reps, get tight, and slowly hinge back down to the bar for your next rep. I can be helpful to train deadlifts using this method to store and generate maximal tension for every rep.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom