all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed If STRONG is first, what's second?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

There a few hierarchies in the health and fitness world and most put strength further up on the pyramid than near the foundation. Most prioritize body composition, mobility, or conditioning as the foundation of the pyramid. They eventually stack strength into the mix but not at the foundation.

If you were to build a hierarchy of your goals or what you need - assuming strength goes near the bottom of the pyramid as the foundation - what gets placed second, third, etc. For me:

1.) Durability: strength in vulnerable positions (can't do any of it while injured)
2.) Strength (hardest to gain, hardest to lose)
3.) Body composition (hard to gain, easiest to lose)
4.) Mobility (playing with kids requires it)
5.) Endurance (most of the "events" I find myself doing are endurance oriented)

@Bro Mo, the purpose of programs like Simple & Sinister is to let _you_ choose what's second. For people involved in sports, martial arts, etc., be strong first, and then use the bulk of your training time to train directly in your chosen activity.

Upon a single platform, many things can be built - build what suits you.

You will notice frequent suggestions here to see a doctor and then have a movement screen before beginning a strength training program. The order is: be healthy; move well; become strong; use your strength for your own benefit and to help others.

Be Healthy - pick a suitable site for your building; see a doctor for yourself.

Move Well - check the soil and be sure everything is in order; get an FMS with all 2's or better.

Become Strong - lay your foundation; become strong.

Use Your Strength - build the house you want on your foundation: practice a sport or martial art, serve your country, help your friends, pick up your children.

-S-

@Bro Mo, the purpose of programs like Simple & Sinister is to let _you_ choose what's second...
Be Healthy...Move Well...Become Strong...Use Your Strength...
-S-
Exactly - for me, as I mature my training philosophies, I don't really need more than TGUs and running for my dream house.
If strong is first, what's second?..........STRONGER
I find the asymptote of strength to be both, a fulfilling pursuit because you're always stronger than you were, as well as a depressing endeavor because you're never as strong as you want to be.

I find the asymptote of strength to be both, a fulfilling pursuit because you're always stronger than you were, as well as a depressing endeavor because you're never as strong as you want to be.

I pulled out an old episode of Star Trek the other day and this exchange seems relevant:
Dr. McCoy: Well, that's the second time man's been thrown out of paradise.

Captain James T. Kirk: No, no, Bones, this time we walked out on our own. Maybe we weren't meant for paradise. Maybe we were meant to fight our way through, struggle, claw our way up, scratch for every inch of the way. Maybe we can't stroll to the music of the lute. We must march to the sound of drums.​

Focus on the velocity. Enjoy moving in the right direction and forget about where you are.

I pulled out an old episode of Star Trek the other day and this exchange seems relevant:

Captain James T. Kirk: No, no, Bones, this time we walked out on our own. Maybe we weren't meant for paradise. Maybe we were meant to fight our way through, struggle, claw our way up, scratch for every inch of the way. Maybe we can't stroll to the music of the lute. We must march to the sound of drums.​

Focus on the velocity. Enjoy moving in the right direction and forget about where you are.

I was about to say "happiness", then I read this... maybe I will change that to "constant struggle" then :)

to me, after strong first... happiness/gratitude second!

Some people interpret the biblical Garden of Eden story in a similar way. We were not meant to remain in paradise and do not become fully human until we leave and have to become responsible for ourselves. In this way, leaving the Garden of Eden represents not a fall, but an ascent.

This thread really highlights for me another aspect of this community, that I for one really appreciate...

We are very lucky to have as many thoughtful, deep thinking, and caring people here that we do.

by far the best online community I have been apart of for all of these reasons.

I am a regular listener of the "Jocko Podcast". Jocko Willink, former Navy Seal, author of fantastic leadership book (geared towards business but applicable to life) that I recommend to all. He has a line that I am going to steal - "Discipline equals Freedom". The idea is that while many think the opposite, with discipline you open up many other areas of your life. The discipline to get up early makes sure you get your kids to school with a healthy breakfast. Packing for the next day the night before means no rush in the morning, etc. He explains this concept quite eloquently and I suggest all take a listen to learn more as I will not do it justice. But I immediately thought of it seeing this thread. What comes after strength? Freedom. My body does not hold me back from doing the things I want to do.

Anti-fragility

precisely.

I subscribe to:
- before a stable joint you need flexibility
- before a strong joint you need stability
- you can't build strength on an unstable joint

That is why people get messed up knees, hips, shoulders, and elbows, they focus to much on strength before their disfunctions. Personally, strong third.

Seems like the posts that get the most attention are the bad backs, knees, shoulders, elbows, and other injuries.

Last edited:
For me the foundation is strength...
(Strength of purpose, spirit, mind, character)
I'm not sure how well developed I am in any of that mind you, but that's what I look for as a basis for what I do.
Everything else falls into place after that.

Strong First

@Bro Mo, the purpose of programs like Simple & Sinister is to let _you_ choose what's second. For people involved in sports, martial arts, etc., be strong first, and then use the bulk of your training time to train directly in your chosen activity.

Upon a single platform, many things can be built - build what suits you.

You will notice frequent suggestions here to see a doctor and then have a movement screen before beginning a strength training program. The order is: be healthy; move well; become strong; use your strength for your own benefit and to help others.

Be Healthy - pick a suitable site for your building; see a doctor for yourself.

Move Well - check the soil and be sure everything is in order; get an FMS with all 2's or better.

Become Strong - lay your foundation; become strong.

Use Your Strength - build the house you want to live on your foundation: practice a sport or martial art, serve your country, help your friends, pick up your children.

-S-

Wow... Nice, @Steve Freides! :)

1) Mental Fortitude; the body is of necessity entirely subservient to the mind.
2) Overall Athleticism; ability to skillfully use the body in a variety of real-world situations
3) Stamina; the ability to sustain significant mental and physical effort
4) Power; the ability to usefully exert strength over a given distance for a particular purpose in a given time
5) Strength; the maxiimum level of tension the muscles can generate
6) Endurance; the ability to sustain a moderate effort for extended periods

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom