all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How are you pacing your S&S

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

Do you aim for 10x swing every 30s or 20x swing every minute?

Do you aim for 1x TGU every minute or 2x TGU every other minute?

Or do you front load more reps in your first sets and taper?

I go off intuition( how I feel that session), S&S for me is a programme that lets me engage in and excel in my chosen sports(bjj&judo). When I see a consistent performance with in the timescales etc,. I up the weight, got to simple with that approach haven't decided to got beyond the 32kg as that's what I have at home

I went back to S&S yesterday with a 32 after a month and a half of just doing whatever I felt like. It was the first time I've ever timed my rest periods. I used 2 mins between sets of swings and 1 min between get ups. Probably won't use the timer again.

I go off my HR recovering to a certain point - starting out, I'd wait until HR was <110 - now I'm experimenting with <120. After a few weeks, I'm starting to notice the correlation between my breathing and my HR.

do it by the book... cues for the rests and when and how to increase weights make the program so effective
Exactly that! I do 10 reps starting when I feel "ready".

Parallel to that, have recently gotten a Polar HR monitor and noticed quite clearly that as Al Ciampa has either said or implied there really is not much correlation between "perceived effort" which is what S&S goes by and HR or even respiration. Each will vary with the activity being performed and to me at least, seem to depend more on that than on each other.

I use a timer:

1H Swings 10 + 10 then rest until top of the minute until I have reached 10 mins.

TGU 1 + 1 for 5 mins. Relatively slow and smooth pacing will yield 10 total.

I am currently on a lighter weight protocol where I cycle through 16, 20 and 24kg during the week. I plan to go back to the 32kg in November.

What I feel and what I can do are usually different, maybe I'm just a slacker though. I find that my body will lie to me pretty often and pacing helps me make more objective progress. I use all three paces for load waving. I find the 3rd pace of front loading to be the most difficult and the 1st pace of smaller increments to be the easiest.

When doing volume of ballistics, as in S&S, or A+A protocols provided by Al Ciampa, I give attention to breathing after termination of a set/repeat. I only breathe through my nose, exhale completely and inhale completely. I liked to count my breaths, and can make my rest longer, if I can make a breath cycle longer.
As I practiced this for quite some numbers of months, for me a good gauge for going again, is the urge to breathe or "breathhunger". In later sets/repeats it gets more prominent. There comes a point, when this urge is satisfied. Then one or two additional breaths to really come down and relax and than: Go!

I go by when I feel ready. I have noticed that it usually lines up pretty well with my breathing also.
I have found that if I use a timer I lose my focus on the movement and pay attention to the timer instead of working on the mechanics of the movement.... if that makes sense to you guys

to to answer you shortly,,, I listen to my body and go when I feel ready

BroMo, you can use any type of pacing that works best for you...I have similar problem sometimes where I do too much without realizing it in real time. S&S as written in the book, is based on breathing, pretty much just as Harald Motz describes it (and Harald is a beast at it!!! he's very accomplished!). Breathing is a pretty easy thing to keep track of with a little discipline and practice and the breathing exercise in the book. From my experience, this is pretty important, as it's what makes the load of the program customized to each person's fitness, and allows the "recharged" feeling afterwards and the rapid progress of general fitness the program's designed for. It also allows the other more specialized activities. If you get gassed with the S&S workout, it won't allow the other activities in your life it's designed to do.

Timely post for me as I have been scouring this Forum and rereading S&S trying to figure out how much recovery to take between sets of swings. I feel ready to do another set of swings (breathing has recovered, feel recovered) BEFORE my heart rate has dropped sufficiently that the spike does not take me beyond my MAF limit of 130. So do I ignore my heart rate? Two days ago I did 10x10 with 24 kg with a HR monitor and it took 17' but felt really strong. I tried 14x7 with 24 kg and the spikes averaged between 125-130. That workout took 16'. I am thinking of ignoring HR and starting the next set when I feel recovered and then testing on the minute every minute once a week and then 10x10 in 5 minutes when I feel that I am starting to own the weight. Should I really be too concerned about exceeding the MAF limit in my daily S&S practice?

Did I read correctly in S&S that it is 2 good breaths per rep, generally? So if it is 10 swings, the time it takes to do 20 good breaths is a good rest time?

@Sean M I always read it as the opposite. 5 good breaths per set of swings is what you should build to -i.e. at the point that you are owning the weight.

strictly breath counting this time around. It is working better as a practical, usable discipline than other things I've tried in the past.

Last edited:
@Sean M I always read it as the opposite. 5 good breaths per set of swings is what you should build to -i.e. at the point that you are owning the weight.
You're right, I read it backwards. Per S&S page 67, it's 2 reps per breath, so 10 swings 5 good breaths.

There was a discussion on the old forum that Pavel got involved in. The thread starter was under the impression (I was, too) that the goal was to get each session within the benchmarks of 5 minutes for the swings, 10 minutes for the get-ups. Turns out a number of us were wrong. Those were the standards for testing, not for daily practice.

I was practicing swings yesterday. I wasn't going for time. I wasn't going for heart rate. I was just going by feel. I personally wanted to feel fully recovered between sets yesterday and probably did a set every 45 seconds to a minute if I were to guess.

Glad you brought that up. I'm specifically wondering about when you test yourself more so than daily practice.

For some reason I've always aimed for sets of 20 reps otm rather than 10 per 30 sec. Also now working with 40 kg I do sets of 10 (5+5) otm.
Not sure why. I'll try splitting the sets for each arm next time to feel the difference.

What about using the long rests article as a guide and rest for 4 to 6 times the time a set takes especially if using a heavy weight?

Test every 4 weeks I w

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom