all posts post new thread

Barbell Progressive Movement Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deadlifter_

Level 1 Valued Member
I was reading about Paul Anderson and i found out he used PMT, if i got it right it means you train a lift with short ROM and lengthen it week by week until you practice the full ROM with the weight you wanted to lift. Has anybody tried this method ? i will like to try it when i finish my current routine.
For Deadlift for example you practice 3 times a week x 6-8 weeks starting with high reps and as you lower the mats you lower also the reps.
Lets say my current max is 170kg and i use a load of 180kg

Example:
WEEK 1
Monday Wednesday Friday
Squat
Deadlift 6 mats 2x6@180kg

WEEK 2
Monday Wednesday Friday
Squat
Deadlift 5 mats 2x5@180kg

WEEK 3
Monday Wednesday Friday
Squat
Deadlift 4 mats 3x4@ 180kg

WEEK 4
Monday Wednesday Friday
Squat
Deadlift 3 mats 2x3@180kg

WEEK 5
Monday Wednesday Friday
Squat
Deadlift 2 mats 3x2@180

WEEK 6
Friday
Deadlift pull from the floor 180kg

Let me know what you guys think

Last edited:
Try it and let us know how it works out for you.

I haven't done this with a constant weight, but have built some change of ROM/elevation into my deadlift cycles in the past, and with good results. E.g., I'd start the cycle an elevation of 3 inches or so, and as the cycle progressed, the elevation would get lower while the weights got heavier. I liked it.

-S-

There is a small section about it in Easy Strength. The Steve Baccari adaptation to Power to the People! (Kindle location 1700). He starts with very short ROM, increase weight for two weeks, than increase ROM slowly for two weeks, and so on back and forth until pulling from the floor, never increasing ROM and weight at the same time.

I have not done it in this way but I did it a while back with Westside Dynamic Effort Squats - I did a 3 week cycle (once a week) to a parallel box, than 3 weeks ~4 inch lower, than 3 weeks another ~4 inch lower.

It felt good, but I increased the ROM to fast in my opinion since I had to lower the weight when adding ROM. If I had read Steve Baccari's program before I would have draged it longer with smaller increments

I did it with Pistols once and made some nice progress. However, my progress soon stopped because I was using the same worn-out unproductive methods that Pavel cautions against. I probably will be adding BWE back into my training soon and will try using PMT again, but with cycling, recovery weeks, etc.

I'll jump on the grenade for this. I'm in a rut as far as training and dealing with a arthritis flare up in my knees so this might be what I need. My knees not killing me but it hurts. Alright SF, help me fill in the rest of a say 6 week training cycle.

I'll jump on the grenade for this. I'm in a rut as far as training and dealing with a arthritis flare up in my knees so this might be what I need. My knees not killing me but it hurts. Alright SF, help me fill in the rest of a say 6 week training cycle.
@ShawnM, what is your goal?

-S-

@Bro Mo I have been a huge fan of primitive progressive pull training for many years. My coach would have us do it as back off work after a meet and offseason for strength. He would usually sub clean deadlifts for conventional deadlifts, and Romanian deadlifts for stiff legged deadlifts, or snatch grip progressive pulls, all more tailored to Weightlifting. Primitive Progressive Pulls as written is my go too, and favourite all time posterior chain workout. I like how you adapt it to kettlebells.

It also works well for presses in logical ways.

Last edited:
Maybe a primative progressive swings (patent pending) practice might look like:

1-One arm snatch
2-Double bell clean or one arm clean
3-heavy Double bell or heavy two hand swing
4-One arm swing
5-KB row
6-I like to finish primative progressive pulls with chins or pull-ups, optional add on

Sets and reps at ones discression.

Last edited:
@ Steve Freides- My goals are more strength, healthy joints and better body composition. The composition is diet and I am working on getting that dialed in. My big thin is programming my training. S&S has been great but the TGU doesn't give me enough pressing. I have the Enter The Kettlebell Workbook so I think I am going to run that from start to finish. I do BJJ a few days a week so I will adjust the days I train instead of starting on Monday I will start on Saturday or Sunday. After the first four weeks I will get some pressing in from ROP and still get in my swings and TGU's. Getting back to deadlifting will have to wait until I can get my conditioning where I want it and work on some basics and finish a program instead of hopping all over the place.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom