all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rop Progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Don'tStress

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello All,

I'm about to reach 5(1,2,3,4,5) with my 20kg kettlebell. Is it advised to move right onto the heavier weight which in my case would be a 24kg or should I take a week off before moving up and starting the program over?

Many Thanks!

From my memory I don't think a rest is prescribed, but it may be a good idea after the volume you hit towards the end of ROP.

I think it depends on how you feel. Like @natewhite39 says above, there is a suggestion in the protocol, however if you feel like you need a few more days to recover from the volume, take it. a few light sessions of OS resets or S&S could go a long way in "shaking off the water" so to speak. If you feel amped on your progress and you wanna keep the ball rolling and feel like two days is enough, fire it up. I think the principal of Individuality applies here.

Also, Welcome!

Keep using the 20 bell for another month or 2. Build a pattern of success with that volume. Then move up. The problem with jumping immediately to the 24 is that, in all likelihood, you're going to be hard pressed (pardon the pun) to even finish medium day. That can be discouraging. A bad day after doing the 20, once or twice (not enough rest, not enough food, not feeling your best) and you'll get discouraged. That's why you should own it. 4-8 weeks of success. You can always do the first rung or two with the 24 if you want to break in.

When you start using the 24 and let's say you're ladder looks like this. 1,2,3,3,2. You missed 4 reps. Just do 2 more sets of two to get to 15 then start the next ladder. Each time you get to 75 on each side with less sets, you're getting stronger.

I'm a big fan of owning the bell before moving up. I can do the 32 kg, for all 5 ladders. Don't own a 36, but am buying one soon. My plan until I buy one around cyber Monday, is to only clean it once and then do all the presses, or lower the weight sooner. Or change the rung/rep scheme.

@Don'tStress, welcome to StrongFirst.

The ROP lets you test - follow the protocol and test your max, and report back. My recommendation would be:

Friday - finish 5 x (12345)
Sat/Sun - rest
Mon - a few easy presses
Wed - a few easy presses but heavier than Monday
Fri - max test
Sat/Sun - rest
Mon - start new ROP.

@BrianCF, the max test at the end of the ROP should guide the choice of the next weight to be used, and that weight should be one a student can follow the program with, by the book, without missing any reps.

-S-

@BrianCF, the max test at the end of the ROP should guide the choice of the next weight to be used, and that weight should be one a student can follow the program with, by the book, without missing any reps.

Important part I think.
I just kept running without this mind and burned out eventually.

Okay, I managed 8 reps with the 24kg each arm. I had my first Light day with the 24kg today. Everything felt good. I just had one question. I just started to weigh my chin ups down with a 16kg kettlebell on my foot. Are there any special tips or queues for weighted chin ups? Anything I might need to know before upping the volume?

Thanks again!

@Don'tStress, 8 reps with 24 kg should mean you are good to do the ROP with 24 kg, and possibly even with 28 kg, but still with the 24.

If you have access to a 28 kg (you should - get one now if you don't have), once you get a little ways into the ROP with 24 kg, try some of the rungs of 1 with the 28 kg instead, just to see how you do.

As with anything, ease into the change in pull-ups. If you'd previously been superseding with bodyweight only, consider reducing the volume in some form or making a gradual transition, e.g., you may try to make PU reps with press reps, but if you do some weighted pull-ups and feels you don't be able to do the next rung, either keep the rep count the same for pull-ups for the remaining rungs, or switch back to bodyweight for the higher-rep rungs.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom