all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Minimalist Bodyweight program results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kyrinov

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey folks,

Just finished a little self-designed bodyweight and deadlift program. Made for my chaotic lifestyle for resilience like S&S and PTTP. As follows:

2/3 sets of 3-4 handstand progressions (originally wall-supported to freestanding....aiming to get one decent one and usually stopping once one or two bad ones)
Supersetted with 2/3 sets of 5-8 second l-sit holds on parallettes.

Finished with 3x3 deadlifts in the 70% range.

Trained most days except when lack of sleep (shiftworker + new dad) made it unwise.

Results are a visible increase in muscle around the shoulder girdle and all sorts of funny little intercostals aroud pectoral area. Better control of thoracic spine flexion/extension.

Biggest surprise was drastic increase in overhead kettlebell pressing strength. Had previously done a round of ROP with 24 and found my max of 32 did not get noticeably easier. After this one I feel much stronger, easier and more confident in pressing the 32 with either arm. Could likely do for a few reps now whereas one was max for L and 2 for R.

Proof that not every program works for everyone. Likely more prior imbalance than a genetic thing...I think sometimes people who have done one thing for a while need to do something specific to counteract to build balanced strength.

Great results, good thinking on your part.

If it were me, I'd be worried about having tired abs after the L-sit when deadlifting, so I'd switch the order - HSPU, DL, L-sit. But what you're doing is working, so don't mess with success. :)

-S-

@Steve Freides once upon a time I'd have agreed with your concerns about L-sits before deadlifts, however, it has been my experience that a little bit of L-sitting (in my particular case, about 3/4 sets of about 10 seconds), does a nice job of warming up and 'priming' (as I call it) the abs and hip flexors for other moves, as well as getting the hamstrings and back nice and actively flexible. I use L-sits in this manner before doing pistols and I would never look back.

Just my experiences :).

@Steve Freides nice. I think perhaps such 'priming' exercises (including ab drills) are totally fine to do whenever you like, including before big movements, provided they are taken nowhere near failure or even fatigue. I imagine a big part of Pavel's reasoning for advising training abs at the end of a session - was that in Hardstyle Abs..? Bulletproof Abs..? What was that book called again..? - was because much of the general fitness population associate 'training abs' with crunches to absolute exhaustion...

Good points, @Harry Westgate - I think it really depends on your approach. If your ab exercise is moderate in resistance and moderate in volume, then before can work. OTOH, there are times to really go hard on ab work, e.g., for me, standing wheel rollouts, and I wouldn't want to do those before my deadlifts.

The devil's in the details, as usual.

-S-

Hello,

@Kyrinov
How many time does it take ?

I always do my abs training at the end of my work out because if I do it during or at the beginning, I feel "empty" for my other moves.

Would a strenght-oriented training be good with the following moves:
OAOL Push Ups (with elevated feet) (3 sets of 2)
Weighted Pistol (3 sets of 1, close to 1RM)
Weighted Dragon Flags (weights on the ankles) (3 sets of 3)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have had it happen to me, early on in my lifting "career", that I would do abs in the morning and then my back would start to bother me later in the day because my abs were too tired to do their job in supporting my posture.

-S-

I think both options work - it just depends on which is your main goal and which is secondary. :) If you are smoking the "dear abbies" then yes could effect Max DL but if Abs are the main focus and DL is a lighter load and volume then could be good.

Hey folks,

Just finished a little self-designed bodyweight and deadlift program. Made for my chaotic lifestyle for resilience like S&S and PTTP. As follows:

2/3 sets of 3-4 handstand progressions (originally wall-supported to freestanding....aiming to get one decent one and usually stopping once one or two bad ones)
Supersetted with 2/3 sets of 5-8 second l-sit holds on parallettes.

Finished with 3x3 deadlifts in the 70% range.

Trained most days except when lack of sleep (shiftworker + new dad) made it unwise.

Results are a visible increase in muscle around the shoulder girdle and all sorts of funny little intercostals aroud pectoral area. Better control of thoracic spine flexion/extension.

Biggest surprise was drastic increase in overhead kettlebell pressing strength. Had previously done a round of ROP with 24 and found my max of 32 did not get noticeably easier. After this one I feel much stronger, easier and more confident in pressing the 32 with either arm. Could likely do for a few reps now whereas one was max for L and 2 for R.

Proof that not every program works for everyone. Likely more prior imbalance than a genetic thing...I think sometimes people who have done one thing for a while need to do something specific to counteract to build balanced strength.

NICE WORK!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom