all posts post new thread

Kettlebell iron tamer vs iron maiden

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Glen

Level 6 Valued Member
just musing - 50% of the male target seems to me to be selling females short? or an I wrong?

looking at powerlifting men vs women it would seem women are doing a lot more than 50% of mens equivalent performances on a lb for lb basis.

is this possibly more about weight increments of the kettlebells than what is actually a more comparable attempt at a high standard goal?

I am guessing, at least with presses for females, that we have a different center of gravity, and typically less upper body strength than males, let alone factoring the pressing groove/motion of a kettlebell and almost all the weight sitting on the outside of the arm (vs say barbells or dumbbells)

I am guessing, at least with presses for females, that we have a different center of gravity, and typically less upper body strength than males, let alone factoring the pressing groove/motion of a kettlebell and almost all the weight sitting on the outside of the arm (vs say barbells or dumbbells)

looking at powerlifting men vs women it would seem women are doing a lot more than 50% of mens equivalent performances on a lb for lb basis.
Look again, in particular at bench press records. I took a quick look and the records were indeed about double for the men in the open age bracket and my weight class in the one federation I checked. The best way to figure equivalence on power lifts is Wilkes points, but our 3 BT/IM lifts aren't those, and the metrics seems about right based on our experience with both at StrongFirst.

-S-

@Steve Freides I was kind of going off IPF classic records in the u72kgvs u75kg and u84kg vs u83kg as my musing

for instance bench press is something like 136 vs 205kg for the bench press but deadlift is something like 235 vs 310.

Do often think in terms of potential women could be doing a lot more - its the small number of participants which stops the records from being pushed further and as strength sports get more popular we will see records tumble more

@Glen, I don't really track statistics like these so I don't know. It would, of course, be great if more women participated in strength sports and the records went up.

-S-

@Boosh32 --Hah! Thanks for a good laugh.
@Geoff Chafe -- Is that a real picture? If so, I'd think a polar bear could handle more weight--perhaps that's it's equivalent of a shoe for starting training?

@MarkSch, that bear isn't doing a TGU or floor press, he is just using the tire to wave hello. Friend of mine who was in military in Alaska saw a huge brown bear aka Kodiak bear do a TGU w/ a helicopter with no strain at all. Then he wiped the door off it and ate their lunches which they had left sitting on the seats. True story. Well minus the TGU

@GeoffreyLevens might not have done the get up, but they move >100 kg stones like I do with pebbles, when they want some ants as a snack. Gorillas break banana trees with one hand, while sitting and looking around bored. I tried and I can comfortably break a toothpick in the same position while looking around bored. Haven't tested yet but I'm positive if I really focus and loose the bored look I can snap a pencil too, have to stand up though. Sooooo... Given that, I'd say I'm after polar bears and gorillas, shouldn't take much to reach their levels if I train constantly and hard.
Also, props to you, @Geoff Chafe! You're one of the best in here, and now you have a proper picture to represent it!

Sorry for the off topic: it is my opinione that one should always endorse the LOLs when it's possibile!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom