all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Practising Craig Marker's SFG plan with S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

stvbwn

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello all, Ive been a viewer of the forum for a while now and since I've signed up to the SFG1 UK I thought I'd get involved and improve my knowledge. S&S has done me well for almost a year now, but my pressing in particular needs work.

Craig Marker's plan looks very interesting and I intend to implement it to help me improve my pressing however I wondered how to practice this program and include S&S somehow. For example, on conditioning days would it be appropriate to bolt on TGUs after the swing sets? Or to include swings and get ups on strength days?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions how to work in the supplementary work? Would it be appropriate to alternate strength days to include snatch/squat at lower weights concentrating on technique?

Any help is hugely appreciated, and I hope I have made my post clear.

Hi @stvbwn, welcome to the forum!

I'm doing the Strength part of that plan right now for SFG II prep, and I really I like it so far! I'm in week 3 with the pressing. The conditioning/swing part looks good, too; it's quite a bit like what I do now except I use push press, C&J, snatch, etc.

My thoughts would be to add your other stuff, but at a lower volume. For example, as you said on conditioning days add on maybe 2 or 3 TGUs per side at your test weight (24kg?). Then maybe on your strength days add in some sets of the other movements (as you said, "at lower weights concentrating on technique") - double front squat, double clean, single-arm snatch.

Make sure your swing weight for the conditioning program is challenging you. It should feel harder (maybe 30% harder?) than an S&S session, because it's designed for 3 days per week. But you should be able to continue doing the sets as prescribed. Based on my experience with similar swing protocols, I would say that if you have a hard time continuing the sets of 10 swings for the prescribed length, it would be better to the number of reps per set as needed to 6, 7, 8 swings, and continue on for the time prescribed than to stop at less total time if you can't do 10 swings.

My SFG I prep was using this plan by Al Ciampa and it worked brilliantly. Perhaps looking that over would give you some ideas about how to combine things in a way that works, and maybe some other tips as well.

Good luck with your journey!

@stvbwn, the article gives specific instructions on doing the getup - I'd follow those unless your getup is sub-par and you feel it needs more attention. From the article you mention:

Get-ups are an excellent warm-up exercise that can build itself as a skill. Start with one set of no-weight get-ups on each side. Then do two to three sets with a moderate amount of weight. Don’t feel you have to use your snatch-size bell on every set of get-ups. Using light weight (or no weight) can be a great corrective experience. It is a good idea to watch your form on video.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom