all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and Kendo

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I posted before about how much magical difference S&S made to my judo, and I found the same is true for kendo.

By the way, judo is a grappling sport and kendo is a fencing sport with movements similar actually to boxing, so in other words quite different actually from judo.

S&S did for kendo exactly what it did for my judo - it turned me from a guy who really wasn't strong enough to fully "own" the 2 hour workout into a guy who easily handled the workout and due to the strength and endurance demands being no problem for me anymore, was able to focus on skill and technique and therefore I'd say improve in these areas by a factor of 10!

I'm really excited about this as I have wanted to be a great fencer all my life, I just apparently had no talent or ability or strength for it. Now it seems I DO! :) I'm VERY happy about this!

Strength First! All the way!

By the way, it wasn't like I was stupid and didn't realize I was too weak - I just didn't know how to exercise with weights to TRULY build strength, and I followed programmes that didn't do much for me. PROBLEM SOLVED! :)

Thanks for sharing this mate my interest is fitness for sambo its good to hear positive results .
Congrats on the progress

Hello,

Did S&S help you to be technically better at kendo ? For example in terms of power / speed or even coordination ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Transfers to control weapon with posterior muscles. If you build habits of using posterior muscles (so obvious) for swings and getups,

There was an article where a muscle detector device was attached to sword master Kuroda Tetsuzan as they found lats was the dominant muscle when he handled the sword. On the other hand his students were pectoral dominant.

Hello,

@taikei
There was an article where a muscle detector device was attached to sword master Kuroda Tetsuzan as they found lats was the dominant muscle when he handled the sword. On the other hand his students were pectoral dominant
So, does that mean that depending on the training level, you do not use the same muscle to apparently do the same move ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@taikei

So, does that mean that depending on the training level, you do not use the same muscle to apparently do the same move ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
Human can rewire their moves in various ways and make it superficially the same.

A perfect sprinter can run but so can one with injury who can deviate into alternate movement pattern.

I played Kendo for many years. I think technique, skill, and body-mind coordination are the paramount elements. This is developed by years of practice on the dojo floor. I know from personal experience many highly skilled practitioners that probably couldn't swing a 16kg to save their life, yet could mop up the floor with me and not break a sweat.
That being said... with everything else being equal a stronger player is going to be dominant.

Hello,

Did S&S help you to be technically better at kendo ? For example in terms of power / speed or even coordination ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
Yes, that's my point. Because I developed kendo-specific power through my S&S work, I could focus simply on my aim rather than being distracted with endurance or speed issues.

Congratulations. How long did you train with S&S before you experienced significant (or "magical") differences? :)
Well, I started S&S 11 months ago with 2 months off in the summer, and I went back to kendo a few weeks ago. I noticed the magical effect on my judo after I dropped back into the judo club after having done S&S for 4 months - just shortly after attaining Simple.

I played Kendo for many years. I think technique, skill, and body-mind coordination are the paramount elements. This is developed by years of practice on the dojo floor. I know from personal experience many highly skilled practitioners that probably couldn't swing a 16kg to save their life, yet could mop up the floor with me and not break a sweat.
That being said... with everything else being equal a stronger player is going to be dominant.
I think this is due to their bodies "rewiring" for the sport over many years, including strength systems. Given that the strength systems are similar between swinging a sword and swinging a kettlebell, the heavy kettlebell swinging I'd say "sped up" the process. I'm sure the TGU has an effect as well, for movements in other directions. They add up very nicely together!

I was not of course making the claim that I'm a great kendoist now, only that all the physical challenges I faced before have been solved by S&S. I still lack the kind of experience to handle the timing, distancing and so forth to be properly competitive. But, because I have the physique I need now, I can start focussing just on skill, which is new for me. I'd also add that the guys who are truly competitive have pretty strong physiques - broad shoulders and back, thick calf muscles. I've tended to be slender, which I think is a bad thing for kendo, so I just didn't have the broad physical solidity the good guys had. My whole life before S&S I was pretty worn out after 30-60 minutes of kendo. This time around I went 2 hours and was absolutely FINE! That's NUTS!!!

@Kozushi
Do you train at the HCJCC?
Burlington Kendo Club. I started at that club about 17-18 years ago, and I've been there on and off ever since. I actually started kendo back maybe 1993-4(?) at McMaster University under a sensei who had done kendo for 5 years during WWII in a Canadian prison camp for Japanese Canadians (not a nice part of Canadian history to be sure.) He was a huge inspiration to me in a number of respects - quite the positive attitude towards life and a high regard for martial and military skills. I continued my kendo in South Korea 1998-9, then back in Canada in Brantford for a year and when that club folded onto the Burlington club. Funnily, given that I have always royally sucked at kendo and that I was the least important guy there, I'm the only guy left at the Burlington club from back 2000-ish. Somehow our club scored a world class sensei, who has been competing at the Worlds' for 10-15 years for Team Canada. Anyhow, utterly amazing coaching, and it's quite the awesome event to go there Mondays to train. another interesting point is that almost everyone there is a Korean immigrant. Anyways, quite an awesome club and a fantastic facility too!

I trained with him for years when he was a youngster in Etobicoke. He's a good guy for sure.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom