all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Mixing bodyweight and kettlebells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey guys,
so I put together a plan for my brother.
He is 1.93m, 100kg, strong guy (240kg deadlift, 40kg overhead press, 100 snatches with 24 in 5mins). I convinced him to get more into bw, but he still wants to increase his kb overhead press.
He can do pistols (solid, multiple sets of 3), but needs some refinemend.
As for OAPU he can do solid sets of ones but no more than one rep.
So I put together a plan for him, but still struggle with the programming.
Thought of heavy-light-medium approach:

Upper Body (mon-wed-fri)
1 oapu
2a kb one arm press
2b pull ups
3 oapu: closing with oapu to increase exposure to the movement pattern

(As for oapu, I thought of Alex Salkin's approach: holding the top position, then slowly descending and then holding the bottom position. After that shaking out the tension and doing oapu onto an elevation)

Lower body (tue-thu-sat)
Pistol squats
One arm swings
Hanging leg raise

Thought about programming heavy/medium/light each 1x per week. But do not know the details yet. Maybe you guys could help me put? What do you think about that?

Seems like a good plan.

In the interest of a stronger press while exploring bodyweight moves, perhaps practice handstand variations (assuming healthy, mobile shoulders).

Any room for horizontal pulls (bodyweight row, 1-arm row, bat wings, etc.)?

Sorry for posting in the wrong section! Maybe a mod could move it into "bodyweight" ?

Thanks for your reply Zack! Would you rather substitute with handstand variations or add them in?
What about rows? Adding them in or substituting?
We thought about going with a heavy/light/medium approach. Any thoughts about that?

Hello,

HSPU in a full ROM will increase his 1RM OHP.

Some daily ladders of 3 may work pretty well. Related to the good program you posted, I would substitute the presses by HSPU to avoid overtaining

Kind regards,

Pet'

Sounds like a decent plan.

What else does he do? For training or work? Depending on his schedule you might find he need a different order for the three days.
I highly recommend that what ever day is going to be his HEAVY day, have two rest days prior then determine where the MEDIUM and LIGHT fit in best.

The OAPU can and should if trained properly increase the military press. Pavel recommends no other pressing when working the OAPU.
The HSPU like Zack mentioned is another great way to increase your military press, but does require great shoulder mobility to be done safely.

Look forward to hearing back about his progress with your programming.

Thank you!
He gave the program a try for the last 3 days, tried hspu against the wall and failed miserably maybe it would be wise to regress to pike press. He is a student and does not do any other training.
I now came up with a programming for the exercises:

Program structure:

Upper (2-3x/week depending on work/university):
1. Oapu
2. One arm c&p
3. Pull up
4. Oapu

Lower (2-3x/week depending on work/university):
1. Pistols
2. One arm swings
3. Hanging leg raise

As for programming
Oapu & Pistols:
Heavy: 3x(3,2,1)
Medium: 5x(2,1)
Light: 5x2

Oapu: done onto an elevation (below knee hight); before every set one contolled negative and holding the lowest point for ~5sec; finishing every upper body day with 2 sets of the scheme for that day

One arm c&p:
I stole this one drom ETK
Heavy: 5x(1,2,3,4,5)
Medium: 4x(1,2,3,4,5)
Light: 3x(1,2,3,4,5)
(Starting with ladders of 3)

Pull ups:
Heavy: 5x3 (24kg, tactical pull up)
Medium: 4x6 (no weight, tactical pull up)
Light: 3x max. (no weight, underhand grip)

One arm swings:
Just get in 100

Hanging leg raise:
3x5-10

I kinda like that program, maybe I even use it myself ...
Where would the pike press fit it? Any recommendations?

Substituting c&p on every day or only on some days?

Last edited:
Hello,

@Marc
If you want to build a strength only program, then I would substitute every day. If you want to build some conditioning, I would do, at the end of the session, a 10 minutes EMOM with C&P

Kind regards,

Pet'

Alright, got you!
My brother likes the plan so far! Think about doing it myself ...

Last edited:
I've been doing something similar and found success with ETK ROP passage ladders doing double C&P and between rungs alternate doing pull ups or single leg box squats up to max of 5 rungs per ladder. For example after rung 3 of C&P, I would do 3 pull ups. Then after rung 4 of C&P I would do 4 box squats for each leg. My main objectives are to increase press and be able to do a pistol. I do these 3 days a week, hard, medium, easy as described in ETK.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom