all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S swings question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PookDo7168

Level 4 Valued Member
I may have missed it but is the Simple one or two handed swings? I would like to do two handed and work up to one handed

The simple goal is with one handed swings. I would recommend from my own experience following the book, and progress towards one hand swings when your form is solid. And use two hand speed swings for unloading sessions. As you will get the most benefit of the program doing this.

Aswell simple as sinister goald are to be done one handed.
Simple: 100 one arm swings (50/arm) in 5 mins with 32kg
Sinister with 48

Hello,

@PookDo7168
Simple is 100 1H swing @32 in 5 minutes
"Solid" is 100 1H swing @40 in 5 minutes
Sinister is 100 1H swing @48 in 5 minutes

However, a good intermediate goal be hitting first "Simple" with the 2H version, and then slowly incorporate 1H sets. There are plenty of progression tactics ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Actually, S&S has BOTH 1 and 2h swings. The daily routine is 100 1h swings, but you can do 2h swings before the 100 1h ones, or if you're tired just do 2h swings that day. At least every 2 weeks you are supposed to do a 2h swing session.

In my own case I spent months only doing 2h swings at heavier weights until I was ready to start doing sets of 5 1h hand swings.

While both kind of swings are good for you, the 1h swings of course are harder to do and therefore exercise your muscles more, which is why S&S emphasizes 1h swings.

Hello,

@PookDo7168
The standards are described in the posts above.

However, nothing prevents you to switch, from time to time, to 2H overspeed eccentric swings with a lighter bell. It works other things (power) and can be done for light days.

Kind regards,

Pet'

2h swings are also a great way to avoid overdoing it. I'm thinking of a lighter workout tonight because I'm a bit sick, so I might do (for instance) 100 2h swings followed by the regular getups. Well, maybe I'll actually do the regular routine tonight, but we'll see, anyhow the point is that 2h swings are great to do before the regular 1h swings or instead of them as a "backup plan" for when you're tired.

2h swings are also a great way to avoid overdoing it. I'm thinking of a lighter workout tonight because I'm a bit sick, so I might do (for instance) 100 2h swings followed by the regular getups. Well, maybe I'll actually do the regular routine tonight, but we'll see, anyhow the point is that 2h swings are great to do before the regular 1h swings or instead of them as a "backup plan" for when you're tired.
If really do feel ill, might even be better to take a day totally off, maybe just do some stretching. Depends on what's "got you" and all but locally here, nasty flu going around and I have heard from a number of people that they felt "just a bit off, not so bad" and went ahead and pumped iron or went on that longish hike or even cleaned out the garden shed and then they crashed with full on flu for weeks. Rest will speed recovery most of the time

If really do feel ill, might even be better to take a day totally off, maybe just do some stretching. Depends on what's "got you" and all but locally here, nasty flu going around and I have heard from a number of people that they felt "just a bit off, not so bad" and went ahead and pumped iron or went on that longish hike or even cleaned out the garden shed and then they crashed with full on flu for weeks. Rest will speed recovery most of the time
I have to take a few days off then.

Kozushi, it is very variable with the individual and what ill from of course but I have quite a number of times when younger and dumber, pushed through the very tail end of a cold and gone surfing figuring the cold water and exercise would clear the last bit out. Result was I would feel better immediately after and then within hours or by next day have bronchitis and sinus infection that would keep me out of the water for weeks. A few days off is a reasonable trade-off I think and you can certainly do mobility work and stretching. When you get back to going hard, you may even find some benefits from couple days off.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom