all posts post new thread

Barbell Closing in on double bodyweight deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LukeV

Level 7 Valued Member
Hey mates, I've found myself within striking distance of a double bodyweight deadlift and with the sage words of Art deVany ringing in my ears, "there's always more than one way to achieve anything", my choice is to either lift more or weigh less. I weigh 98kg and have current PB of 185kg. I'm also 47 years old.

Although I'm fat my preference is to lift more (and keep drinking beer) and so I'm looking for a program to get me that last 11kg to double bodyweight.

A week or so ago Pavel posted a peaking program for somebody but for the life of me I can't find it on the forum or recall what lift it was targeted at. Can any kind person assist?

For bench press I greatly enjoyed the 1TRM-Escalating Volume program by Fabio but can't manage that sort of volume for deadlifts so was thinking about this program (lower volume, higher intensity) on the same theme:

Waves of Strength: Soviet-Style Periodization | Armour Building

Has anyone tried this program or have thoughts on how it might apply to deadlifts? Any other advice on how to achieve my goal would be greatly appreciated.

Cheerio, Luke

Luke, I think this is a good idea, especially the part about drinking more beer! Maybe you can spend the next month focusing on this program then spend a month trying to drop 10 lbs or whatever.

This looks like a solid program. Here is a suggestion. On week 5, day 1, repeat week 4 day 1, except only do singles. On week 5 day 2, work up to a couple singles with 70%. On week 5 day 3, attempt a max.

@LukeV check out PTTP 2.0 in this thread: Tsc template...

It helped bump my PR by 13.6 kg, and I wasn't drinking beer (i.e. extra calories) and had a big-ish DL already (i.e. no beginner gains). :)

@Ryan Toshner, tons of great information _and_ great training templates in that thread. Thank you for pointing it out, and thank you most of all for your contributions to it.

-S-

192.5kg today. 3.5kg away from double body weight. And I could have done it except for a momentary lack of self-belief. C'est la vie and bring on next week!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom