all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How do you warm up ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
OS style.
belly breathing
neck nods
neck rolls
shoulder rolls forward/backward
hip pumps
spiderman thread the needle
shin boxes into hip flexor stretch

After reading their About page, I still don't understand what it is. Most of the videos on the Videos page are about the FMS, and the two testimonial videos I watched talk about how much the clients enjoy it. Can anyone actually describe with this is?

I'm not trying to be disagreeable, but I can't read that page and come away with anything more concrete than the seminars start with a sample of the functional movement screen.

@JamesO, I'm not sure how to help you further, except to say that, like Original Strength, Ground Force Method is a program based on the idea that we all ought to be able to move well, and it's structured to help people achieve that. And, as with a program I teach in, Flexible Steel, it's created and run by a Master SFG, which - I hope! - should give everyone here a lot of confidence that its goals and practices are aligned with those of StrongFirst.

I think it's fair to say that anyone practicing what's taught at any of the three above-mentioned programs in addition to their StrongFirst-based strength training is helping their own cause.

Just my opinion and your mileage may vary, but that's how I see it.

Or maybe I should have simply recommended you attend a Ground Force Method workshop. Senior SFG @Andrea U-Shi Chang is the US coordinator for GFM - perhaps, if she sees this, she will have more to say.

-S-

I'm always interested in learning, just not indiscriminately. If I were to go to a workshop, I'd like to have some idea of what we'd be doing. Based on the copy on the website, they believe in movement and start with a sample of the FMS. Maybe it's just me, but I can't form the mental picture. The website could have a better description.

I'm always interested in learning, just not indiscriminately. If I were to go to a workshop, I'd like to have some idea of what we'd be doing. Based on the copy on the website, they believe in movement and start with a sample of the FMS. Maybe it's just me, but I can't form the mental picture. The website could have a better description.
I'm just reading the description for the first time too. I think this might be the key line:

"Because we are certified in FMS, we believe in and adhere to a system of movement. We have put all the exercises into a logical order, adding games for fun and playfulness, and later on we’ve added several levels of progressions. This is all based on the idea of Functional Movement."

Sounds like a arrangement/ systemization of FMS correctives?

Hi James, happy to give you a bit more information. GFM is working on updating their website, and your feedback above will be helpful, thanks!

Basically, Ground Force Method (previously named Primal Move) is a comprehensive movement system, based on the framework of FMS corrective strategies (GFM is FMS’ first system partner), childhood development theory, and melded with bodyweight and floor movement flows (like Systema, Gynastica Natural, Brazilian JiuJitsu, yoga, etc.) - but it is NOT FMS... It is a ground based movement system, aimed to not only get people moving better, more integrated and strong, but to ENJOY the process. A lot of people have lost their enjoyment of movement and training due to injury, lack of mobility or ability, and/or pain. GFM's flows and games bring the childlike delight in movement back to the end user, and for that matter, the instructor/coach. What sets GFM apart from all the other ground based movement products, is that it is a cohesive system with FMS correctives built in to the movement patterns, as well as a neurological basis for seeing and building healthy movement - all programmed with games and movement flows to keep it fun and relatable.

If you are interested in bringing restorative and integrative movements that have progressions and regressions for any level of ability into your kettlebell or other strength coaching modality - then GFM should be in your tool kit not only as an instructor, but for your own athletic and goals. It is scaleable for any level, has understandable progressions and regressions, and if you are an FMS certified professional, when you screen your student/client, there is an additional road map from which to progress. We all know that correctives can be boring, and most of our students don't do their corrective exercises even if recommended by a clinician. GFM has a solution, there are corrective progressions that will help with changing FMS scores and the fundamental movement patterns. If your student/client has a 1/1 in the ASLR, there is a road map, and one that includes games and cool flows that make them feel like they are doing something 'ninja' like and fun, not just a boring corrective (though they definitely have their place for sure).

GFM is great for teams, group classes, kids, and adults of all ages, sizes, and abilities - and is easily integrated into any fitness, strength, or skill based training protocol. Especially for group exercise, GFM is particularly effective. We have what is called the GFE: Ground Force Exploration flow. It gives the instructor a very good look at the work capacity, the movement literacy, mobility and stability issues, and general strength of a group, during the warm up...in 6-8 minutes! This is particularly important for group programming because you never know what a day of sitting in traffic has wrought in your students when they come to 'workout'...this way you know if you need to prep more for squats, etc. We use this flow and GFM movements along with FMS and of course our foundation of SF strength principals at my kettlebell studio (Kettlebility) in Seattle with excellent results.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help.

Thanks Andrea. That actually sounds really interesting. Since I've actually been working on some ASLR correctives, it'd probably be pretty helpful to my cause, as Steve would say :)

Thanks Andrea. That actually sounds really interesting. Since I've actually been working on some ASLR correctives, it'd probably be pretty helpful to my cause, as Steve would say :)
You're welcome. Steve is right :) We have discounts for FMS certified professionals, as well as SF certified instructors for all of the GFM offerings. Although GFM courses are at this point all professional certifications, many people come as movement enthusiasts with no expectation to teach in the future. Hope to see you at one!

you can go here to find a course near you - more dates up soon: Ground Force Method - Get Certified

One of Dan John's complexes (with a barbell):

Hang snatch
Overhead squat
Back squat
Good mornings
Row
Romanian Deadlift

Start with an empty bar and add weight. Sometimes I'll just keep adding weight and this turns into its own workout.

Long warm ups also bore me. I should do more mobility and foam rolling but again, boring.

An effective warmup should be boring. Doing the same very uncool, but effective movements over and over, day in and day out is not exciting. Take the S&S or ROP warmup as an example.

Once you find a sequence that works for you, you should stick with it for as long as it is working for you. I just make small adjustments depending where I need extra attention at the time.

My post workout cool down work is also boring, but very necessary.

From 2010-2015 it did varying degrees of something called WCC GPP (Working Class Cardio General Physical Preparedness)
All movements 30 seconds
Jumping Jacks
Burpees
Skiers
Plank
Anywhere from 5-8 times, before every "workout". It was a long five years of very little progress in hypertrophy, weight loss, and conditioning.

I came across SF on accident, looking for KB certs in South America, got introduced to one Mr. Al Ciampa and got a hold of his Physical Training Culture. I am in the military, so when I saw something FROM a military guy, and so easy to read, I began to follow warm ups recommended by Al.

From Jan 4th to present
Crawl Front, Rear, Left, Right (or any combination thereof)
Rocks, Bobs, Goblet Squats (Prying) to Halo @ 16kgs x 10 (one GSQ, halo one direction, one GSQ halo other direction)

I will be honest, about 25% of mornings, I wake up with some pain somewhere (this is down from 100%, years of bad programming). After I crawl, I feel great. After the RBGSH's I feel awesome. Without fail.
Now:
-Chronic back pain, GONE
-Transient hip pain, reduced by 80-90%
-Chronic shoulder pain, reduced by 80-90%

I used to think crawling was boring, mostly because I stunk at it, it was hard, and I looked like a fool. (Note, things still clunk around in one hip or the other, but this is a vast and enjoyable improvement when compared to movement INability last year). Now I am having fun trying to get to 10 minutes of "being a tiger". Can you really tell me there wasn't a point in your childhood where you wanted to be a dog/cat/tiger/wolf/dinosaur/dragon and you crawled around on the floor with your clunky feet dragging behind you and you thought, "I am just not feeling this whole dog thing. Let's eat Playdoh!" (Kids! DO NOT EAT the Playdoh!) Well, fast forward a few decades, and now I kind of AM feeling the whole 4 legged animal thing. And yes, my boys (5 and 2) think it is roaring good fun.

Sorry, that was an ambush rant. My apologies.

Awesome! My kids love it and they invent new animal moves all the time and have me try them. I love that I can keep up with them. Thanks to OS and SF.

I usually do some crawling and use my warm up as a chance hit anything that the main portion of my training doesn't. For instance, right now I am back doing S&S, so my warm up is as follows (yeah, it's not the actual S&S warm up, go ahead and crucify me ;))

-Goblet Squats @24K (5 reps), slow and with the intent to 'pull' myself in deep-To maintain the squat pattern
-Slow calf raises @44K (or so) until I feel it-I'm always reminded that my calves need a little special attention when I run or ruck
-Slow, full ROM pushups until I feel it-I need to do pushups as part of a PT test, so this is my pushup training
-Dead bugs until I feel it-Because a little direct abdominal work never hurt anybody
-Goblet Squats-same as before
-Various crawls for 150 feet or so (I do laps forward and backward across my living room)
-One last set of Goblet Squats-the last set is my favorite, because after the crawls I can really get down there

All this take me 7-8 minutes, and after it all my heart rate has been elevated, all the switches have been turned on, and I'm ready to go...

@Snowman I love dead bugs and bird dogs as a warmup. If you cannot crawl they are the next best thing to "connect the X". I have been training in a commercial gym, and I am already that crazy guy. If I start crawling there will be no going back.

I have been doing my OS Resets at home in the morning and evening

I train in a military gym, and it is the same thing. I say, "Go for it!"
@Geoff Chafe
I also work in a Military gym in Canada and I have people crawl/roll/get up and lift, "unconventional" style, but give it a few weeks and I'll either have someone ask me to show them what we were doing or see someone doing it on their own in the gym. Be an ambassador of your craft ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom