all posts post new thread

Forum Business Important Announcement for 17 Jan 2020 - Forum Software Upgrade

Problems, Questions, Suggestions
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Ladies and Gentlemen,

On Friday, January 17, 2020, which is two days from now as I write this message, StrongFirst will upgrade the software on which our forum runs. We expect to be down for approximately 2 hours but there's no way to say precisely.

The forum will certainly _look_ a bit different but should function more or less the same.

I will post any more news as a Reply in _this_ thread.

Please post any problems you have after the upgrade as a Reply in _this_ thread.

Thanks.

This process will be begin at the following times on Friday, January 17:

US West coast - 00:00 (midnight)

US East coast - 03:00 (3 am)

UK - 08:00 (8 am)

CET, Central European Time - 09:00 (9 am)

Thailand (selected because it's 12 hours different than US East Coast) - 15:00 (3 pm)

-S-

@Steve Freides One thing I've noticed is that the boldness level on forums and threads for unread items isn't very... bold. Makes it really hard for me (esp on my phone) to tell what's read and what's unread compared to previous. Wonder if it could be turned up a bit and/or use a different treatment? Maybe I'm the only one.

Otherwise I love it!

@Mike Torres, we appreciate the feedback. Thank you. I believe the color scheme is something that was custom-created for the older forum software and has been created anew for the current iteration, so I will bring your feedback to our developer's attention.

-S-

Ladies and Gentlemen,

On Friday, January 17, 2020, which is two days from now as I write this message, StrongFirst will upgrade the software on which our forum runs. We expect to be down for approximately 2 hours but there's no way to say precisely.

The forum will certainly _look_ a bit different but should function more or less the same.

I will post any more news as a Reply in _this_ thread.

Please post any problems you have after the upgrade as a Reply in _this_ thread.

Thanks.

This process will be begin at the following times on Friday, January 17:

US West coast - 00:00 (midnight)

US East coast - 03:00 (3 am)

UK - 08:00 (8 am)

CET, Central European Time - 09:00 (9 am)

Thailand (selected because it's 12 hours different than US East Coast) - 15:00 (3 pm)

-S-

Good format overall. There just needs a bit more space for the titles of posts on the first page. The column next to it on replies has more than enough space to take from and the events column is a bit wide as the dates wrap awkwardly.

One thing I've noticed is that the boldness level on forums and threads for unread items isn't very... bold.
You can change the theme at the top of the footer to "default". While I don't like the blue tones that much I prefer the way headlines are presented: Bigger font size and no underlining.

Maybe SF needs a highlighter color in their corporate design, for cases where true greyscale doesn't work perfectly. (Could even be something like an orangeish brown).

That being said I like the new features and the seemless transition. Well done!

Anyone else noticing they can't start new conversations with new people on this site? I tried to PM Bro Mo and it wouldn't let me.

@Steve Rogers, thank you for the report.

Please be kind enough to try to start a new PM with _me_ and let me know if that works. (I believe individual accounts are configurable in this way so you may not be able to PM everyone.)

-S-

A small feature that I miss is being able to sort by number of views. Prior to the upgrade, I could click the "Views" column within a forum and it would sort the threads with highest number of views at the top.

I think it may be because the whole thing is a bit more narrow, because it is something that I used to only be able to do on my phone when I turned it sideways. As soon as I turned it vertical, the extra feature went away. (Now on my phone it's not available either way).

Other than that, working well and appreciate the upgrade!

A small feature that I miss is being able to sort by number of views. Prior to the upgrade, I could click the "Views" column within a forum and it would sort the threads with highest number of views at the top.

I think it may be because the whole thing is a bit more narrow, because it is something that I used to only be able to do on my phone when I turned it sideways. As soon as I turned it vertical, the extra feature went away. (Now on my phone it's not available either way).

Other than that, working well and appreciate the upgrade!

Ah, never mind, I see it now.... It's available with the new "Filters" button on the right of the header column. I can filter by Views, Descending.

Good to know that it's still there, just in a different place.

Has anyone looked at the various choices under What's New? Quite a bit in there although I confess New Posts seemed sufficient for me.

-S-

We had similar reports when we first made the switch. I will pass along your feedback to our developer.

Thank you.

-S-

We had similar reports when we first made the switch. I will pass along your feedback to our developer.

Thank you.

-S-
100% agree on the feedback still. I actually switched entirely to using the "New Posts" page instead of trying to fish for slightly more bold threads.

100% agree on the feedback still. I actually switched entirely to using the "New Posts" page instead of trying to fish for slightly more bold threads.
On mobile or on desktop? I find the mobile formatting to work better.

Yeah me too, but "New Posts" never shows the first post a new member, for some reason. So I never see those until someone else answers.

Yeah me too, but "New Posts" never shows the first post a new member, for some reason. So I never see those until someone else answers.
Wow, I didn't realize that. That seems like a bug.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom