all posts post new thread

Old Forum Neck stiffness/tightness/ROM issues

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mmartel

First Post
Esteemed Strong First Community,

This past week I've been feeling a bit of discomfort and limited ROM in my neck. I've been following for approx. 7 weeks.

It's not clear to me that this stiffness was originally caused by the S+S program of swings and getups I've been following.

However, I do notice that my neck feels noticably stiff and tight so that it is difficult and uncomfortable to turn from side to side (restricted ROM due to tightness I feel at the center/back of my neck) after my daily S+S workout. The stiffness lasts most of the day. Over the last 1-2 days, it seems to have gotten worse.

Is it possible or likely that this is related to a form error or mobility limitation during either my swings or getups? If so, are there any coaching cues and/or tips I can use to avoid causing the strain?

A bit more background, if helpful: I'm 39 M in OK physical condition for a recreational fitness-focused dad but nowhere near elite. I've been practicing swinging kettlebells and getups for over a year. But I've never trained with a certified coach. Nor have I been dedicated to training with them until I made S+S my exclusive program since early Feb. I'm currently "comfortably" using a 20kg currently for all sets of swings and getups at a body weight of about 85 kg.

A couple more points:

- I don't feel any pain or discomfort while swinging or doing getups. Only afterwards. I notice it more when I turn my head in the car to look out the side mirror or check my kid in the back seat.

- I've never had any near misses with a getup -- i.e., I haven't hurt myself trying to save a rep.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

First, go see a qualified medical professional and have your neck examined to rule out a serious problem.  I had many neck patients who came to me after months or years of neglecting to get their problem addressed.

Second, have your form checked by an SFG. It is <del>possible</del> probable that you are doing at least one of the movements incorrectly. Because of the overhead position, I lean towards the getup as the culprit, but I've seen some ugly necks during swings, too.

Third, until you do the two above, if it hurts, don't do it.  As I like to say, "it ain't rocket surgery".

live to train another day

Hey Mark.  Here's a wild guess:  shrugging.  It's possible you're allowing your shoulder to "unpack" on both the swings and the Get Ups.  Untrained,  our shoulder mechanics stink for whatever reason.  This organization is the first place I ever ever heard of safe shoulder mechanics, so I assume it's common amongst us to allow the shoulder to go wherever it's gonna go.  This is one of the common corrections to be made when teaching someone to swing.  You could unknowingly be shrugging your shoulders up (or just one of them) which leads to a lot of stress in the area you're describing.  Some "tells" might be a lot of stress in your face, maybe some pronounced neck muscles sticking out at the top of the swing, or your arm getting "longer" during the float, or your shoulder getting closer to your ear during the float.  Similar things might be happening during the Get Up.

Yes, what they said.  I'd start by taking some time off right now.

Get yourself a massage and a long, hot shower.  See where you are in a few days.   If a massage, a hot shower, and a few days rest make your symptoms disappear, you were either overdoing it or doing something incorrectly.  If your neck isn't better, then absolutely I'd see a doctor.

-S-

I'd like to thank everyone who responded for your generosity and helpful replies! Here's the summary and my plan based on your advice:

- Hold off on the KB training for several days

- 30 minute neck/shoulder massage today

- light neck ROM exercises daily to evaluate/monitor

- Get neck evaluated by a sports medicine-familiar doctor on Friday  if discomfort is persistent

- Make appointment with SFG to evaluate and correct form issues that may be contributing to the problem

In replaying things a bit in my head this morning, I'm starting to suspect the stiffness is being caused by allowing my head to drift forward quite a bit at the top of my swings, rather than keeping the top of my spine tall and my head squarely above my shoulders.

PAIN is just weakness LEAVING the body.  you have to IGNORE it.  FIGHT through it.

ps, just kidding.  listen to the people above.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom