all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Press Tip

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I recently added this to my pressing technique and it has made me stronger.

As you are gripping the handle of the bell hard while pressing, focus on gripping with your 4th and 5th fingers. Don't squeeze less on the others, but make an effort to squeeze with your ring and pinkie fingers.

Please use the poll and reply here as well to let me know how it works for you.

-S-

I tried that, doesn't make much of a difference on my presses because I do that subconsciously (through training) anyway...
Reason being I read about focusing on gripping the bell with 4th and 5th fingers during TGUs a long time ago (post on the SF forum but I cannot remember by whom), and there it did absolutely make a difference in maintaining absolute lockout for heavy bells!
So I'll have to say, excellent tip!

I'm going to reply that it did.

Truth be told I already use this strategy when pressing, and in fact do not squeeze as hard as I can with my index finger. I tend to have a "floating" feeling in the index finger, middle finger squeezes more and the ring and pinkie squeeze as hard as possible. I tend to grip very tight to the thumb side horn, so squeezing tightly with my index doesn't improve control or tension (for me).

This for overhead presses, lifts where the bell is shifting more I will use the index finger more.

Yes, once I began training the TGU with a 32 for multiple reps I took notice of how important keeping the pinkie engaged influenced lat contraction. Great tip and yet another subtle technique that makes a huge difference.

In aikido and especially it's sword work,( well, wooden practice sword) , the 4th and 5th fingers are emphasized for making a strong yet flexible and secure grip.
"Crushing the handle" was a really helpful cue for me in all pressing- I mistakenly relaxed my grip far too much when starting out. When crushing, I just used 4th and 5th fingers as a matter of course.
This is a really interesting cue and disscusion.

MarkSch, I picked it up in Aikido as well (way back when I was a just a lad of 40 years). Now automatically grip extra strength on anything I want a secure hold on and yes, have tried more relaxed grip pressing and the 4/5 crush does seem to increase both strength and control.

It's interesting to me that so many of you have learned to do this from a variety of sources. It's a new thing for me, something I tried in my press after watching an Ed Coan video and hearing him talk about the importance of training those two fingers for one's deadlift grip.

-S-

I tried this in my TGUs this morning, and while I didn't really notice a difference in my reps with the 16, I REALLY noticed it my second set with the 24. I felt much more in control and it definitely felt more...solid than it has in the past. Thanks for the tip!

Just tried it on my double KB and single press work - seemed to instantly give me that preferred line that I have been working hard to be consistant with - instantly gripping with these fingers stopped my elbow from flaring out i felt - maybe as trying to squeeze I inadvertently supinated slightly?

It's interesting to me that so many of you have learned to do this from a variety of sources. It's a new thing for me, something I tried in my press after watching an Ed Coan video and hearing him talk about the importance of training those two fingers for one's deadlift grip.

-S-
I wouldn't have thought much about this, it is an interesting thread.

Pretty sure I learned this initially from boxing where I was striking primarily with the bottom three knuckles, so a real tight fist.

Then later as I branched into other MA, most grabbing technique go from the pinkie up, the index finger is like the final hook digging in opposite the thumb.

Squeezing the bottom three also seems to automatically align the hand with the ulna, tightening up the index finger doesn't really add to wrist stability.

-S-

I picked it up from Steve Cotter's kettlebell DVD several years ago. If I remember correctly he talked about it while explaining grip mechanics in the swing section. I don't do it consciously, but my calluses show that I've been doing it... I should make sure that I do it intensely enough, specially in presses. Thank for the reminder :)

instantly gripping with these fingers stopped my elbow from flaring out i felt - maybe as trying to squeeze I inadvertently supinated slightly?

Maybe. It is much easier to put more pressure in that area with a vertical forearm (while squeezing the bell). It might also have something to do with mechanoreceptors triggering the right muscles and stabilization patterns. Pavel mentions in Return of the Kettlebell that the base of the palm near the 4th and 5th fingers triggers the triceps, maybe it also triggers external rotation?

EDIT:
I just tried it with some light 16kg crush grip OH presses, so it not exactly as gripping the handle (crush grip as in griping the bells body with hands).
I found that that I automatically apply more pressure with my 4th and 5th fingers. I tried the reduce the 4th/5th pressure a little bit and I felt my elbows less stable. Not exactly flare out, but not as tight with the body supporting the bell... kind of felt softer. I decided not to attempt a press in this position - there is no room for mistakes in crush grip OH press, especially not foolish ones...
I tried applying even more pressure with the 4th and 5th than in my first attempt and felt my elbows pull back to vertical and stable position. I also tried it on a single KB press with same "elbow results". It seems to be the same thing @Glen mentioned.

Last edited:
@GeoffreyLevens

You _started_ aikido at 40? Wow, respect. I thought I was elderly to start it, and I was about 26, mumble mumble years ago.
Since I have mentioned it a few times on these forums, did you find shikko and suri-waza helpful in the TGU, by any chance? TGUs are some of my 'best' movements, and I feel like those exercises were a big help.

Again, it's really interesting seeing people picking up this movement tip from all kinds of different disciplines.

I guess I was living under the same rock as you @Steve Freides as I haven't heard this que before either. I tried it out with a few moderate presses and get ups and did feel that I made things just a bit more solid. I'm looking forward to bringing this into my daily practice.

I'm taking the SFGI this weekend in Vancouver and I'm sure i'll have plenty of opportunity to try it out there. hehe.

Thanks for sharing @Steve Freides! I agree with all the comments above as well. it is really neat to see all of the different applications and practices a tip like this has influence on.

In aikido and especially it's sword work,( well, wooden practice sword) , the 4th and 5th fingers are emphasized for making a strong yet flexible and secure grip.
"Crushing the handle" was a really helpful cue for me in all pressing- I mistakenly relaxed my grip far too much when starting out. When crushing, I just used 4th and 5th fingers as a matter of course.
This is a really interesting cue and disscusion.

In another lifetime practiced Kendo, and various styles of Iaido, and Tameshigiri (live blade test cutting). And exactly yes the little fingers are key to the grip.

Does this have anything to do with the tip Pavel gave in, I think, Easy Strength or maybe Beyond Bodybuilding wherein he was talking about how to activate the lats more during pullups? He suggested turning your hands somewhat to the outside in a dead hang so you were sortof focusing your grip with your "outer" two fingers, the ring and pinky. I've used this for my own pullups and immediately felt the lats working. It might be somewhat related to the corkscrew technique, or bending the broomstick he talks about in Naked Warrior as a visual for the one-arm pushup. Is this ring and pinky finger technique a cue for screwing your shoulders into their sockets?

Tried this after cleaning the 25 lb kettlebell to rack at my left shoulder. To my surprise, I was able to press it about 6", whereas previously I was unable to press it above rack at all. Great tip!
Awesome! Thanks for letting us know.

-S-

@GeoffreyLevens

You _started_ aikido at 40? Wow, respect. I thought I was elderly to start it, and I was about 26, mumble mumble years ago.
Since I have mentioned it a few times on these forums, did you find shikko and suri-waza helpful in the TGU, by any chance? TGUs are some of my 'best' movements, and I feel like those exercises were a big help.

Again, it's really interesting seeing people picking up this movement tip from all kinds of different disciplines.
Mark, I have long had "knee issues" from improper biomechanics, long story, short...2 surgeries on one and now trying to get the most miles I can before a maybe replacement...we will see. At any rate, shikko and suri-waza were not my friends and several months ago I stopped TGU's same reason. I stopped Aikido training after about 3 1/2 years because I was just too obsessive about it and suffering chronic over-training with pretty severe neuo an dmetabolic symptoms. Probably would be some good carry over though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom