all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S injury

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TLewis

Level 2 Valued Member
OK, so I've hurt myself and I'm trying to figure out exactly what I did.

I injured myself doing an S&S workout. The swings were 2H 28kg, 4L & 4R 24 kg, 2H 28 kg. I did the getups 1x24 kg, 4x20 kg.

I did all the recommended mobility work prior to the workout.

After the workout I felt fine. I wasn't smoked, it was just another good, normal workout. The next day (last Saturday) I was really sore in my upper back, it partcularly bad in the middle of my back a little higher than should blade level. It felt like a bad case of DOMS.

On Sunday, it was worse. I had trouble even moving, which sucked, because I was working. Tylenol and Advil got me through it, but it was not good. Monday was still bad, but not as bad as Sunday. Since then, it's gotten slightly better every day, but it's tight even now. I went to a chiro last Wednesday. He said that my spine wasn't in that bad of shape and that the injury was to the soft tissue as opposed to the actual spine alignment.

I haven't done another workout, yet. I considered it today, but decided to wait until tomorrow. My first workout back will be with a 16kg bell.

So here's the question. What the hell did I do to myself and what can I do to make sure that I don't do it again?

Hi Tim,

before anyone could answer you what went wrong, you should video yourself so we can see if your technique is acceptable. Ofcourse, the best thing wold be for you to find an expert (SFG) and let him/her have a look.

Regards,

Sasa

I've gotten instruction from a competition kettlebell coach and then later from a SFG instructor. Both commented that my form wasn't bad. The SFG instructor did make some adjustments, but they were more fine-tuning rather than wholesale. I've made it a point to follow his form and practice his cues.

I'm not really looking for a complete diagnosis. What I'm looking for is some ideas to protect myself. If it were my lower back, then the answer would be along the lines of, "Keep your core tight, don't round your back, etc." I was just wondering if there was a similar set of guidelines for upper back stability and protection.

The Chiro is a sports guy, so more knowledgeable than the average back-cracker. He is not against kettlebell work at all and didn't warm me against it. He basically said I could re-introduce when my present condition healed. He (correctly, I feel) didn't see it as a chronic problem, but an acute injury that needed some time. His advice was just to start at a significantly lower weight and make sure the range of motion was what it should be. He told me the biggest issue with people in my situation is coming back too quickly. "Use weights that don't feel hard for a couple weeks. Then be smart when you do move up."

I like the guy because what he says doesn't trip my B.S. filter.

What about your neck? Can you turn your head left/right without pain?

Also, did you check your shoulder mobility?

My neck was sore, but not awful. One thing I couldn't do was to put my elbows back at all. I had to put my seatbelt on with my left hand because I couldn't move my right back far enough to latch it. Any sort of twist through my spine was out of the question, but I could twist at the waist. It wasn't fun.

Today I did a run through S&S with a 16kg bell. Strength was no big deal, I was really just checking mobility. Anyway, I felt a little tight on the swings, but no real pain. The get-ups weren't as clean. It hurt a bit to get onto my hand, particularly when I had the bell in my left hand. I could also feel it in my upper back when my arm got just a tick away from vertical.

I'm hoping I feel ok tomorrow. Even if I don't, though, I'm going to guess that the get-ups were really more of the trigger for my injury than the swings at this point. I'm going to have to take them slow and make sure my positioning at each point is really spot on.

Tim, if there are no medical restrictions, then simply proceed more gradually: a slower progression or days off.

Copy that. Thanks.

I'm a bit sore today. It seems to be about at the T3 vertebra level. Moving my left elbow back (and up) makes me feel the muscles on the right side of my spine. It just needs some time.

You'll be back in the game soon, Tim.  Like Pavel said, just progress slowly.  Sub in some two-hand swings to decrease the "pull" on each shoulder.  Consider it a corrective, at this point.

-Al

Sometimes if I lean back too far or turn my head at the wrong time my traps will seize up, which can be quite painful for several days (my record is up to a week of discomfort).  The pain can be anywhere in the trap, so mid-thoracics all the way up to shoulders and neck.  This seems to happen more often when I train early in the day, or if I'm feeling stiff prior to my workout.  Any time I'm feeling a little tight prior to a workout I do plenty of cercical and thoracic ROM exercises (Super Joints has some good ones).

Tim,

<!--more-->First off, I am not a doctor or medical professional of any kind;

but it sounds like you are having a problem similar to one I am currently having.  I was doing double kb c + p, and felt a pinch in my trap, but no real pain.  The next few weeks were hell - no joint or ligament damage, but pain throughout my shoulder ( trap, delt, and neck muscles).  I was told by our PA that it was probably referred pain due to trigger points in my muscles.  I did a whole lot of research, and found out that a small muscle spasm in your trap can refer pain to your medial deltoid, as well as your neck muscles and shoulder blades.

Do some research on trigger points, and see if that matches up with your symptoms...it is usually something that you can work out yourself if you are patient and listen to your body.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Tim M.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom